Creator 2011 Video And Audio Out Of Sync

my wits end

Question

I am trying to burn dvd using captured vedio from a vcr. I was able to do this the first time a tried, then after capturing hours and hours of vedio if I try to edit or add chapters to the vedio the audio and vedio become out of sync. Note: the vedio is in sync during the preview unless i try to edit it in any way. I have defraged my drive,checked the "transfer mode" and all the other tips available. I am using window xp. I am thinking about uninstall and reinstalling the program not sure if that would help, i do not wish to loose all those hours of captured vedio. Any thoughts?

19 answers to this question

Assuming you didn't store your Video within the Program Folders, it won't be touched!

Yes uninstall - reboot - reinstall & update.

It cannot hurt and may help...

Still, you never answererd any of my questions about qualtiy, defrag & test burns... Troubleshooting is taking the steps described, this is not going to be a 'pick & choose' ;)

In my jan 24 post i mentioned that i did defraged and was using HQ quility i'm not sure how to do a test burn editing if things are out of sync?

In my jan 24 post i mentioned that i did defraged and was using HQ quility i'm not sure how to do a test burn editing if things are out of sync?

I don't quite understand what you are saying here: "i'm not sure how to do a test burn editing if things are out of sync?"

Launch Videowave and add a video

Switch to the Timeline and set the blue cursor at some point on the timeline, lets say the 10 minute mark. Then hit the Split icon. This will split the video into two segments. Select the segment on the right and click the delete icon.

Now using Save As, save you project as Test.dmsm, remember where you saved it

Exit Videowave and launch myDVD. Keep the default menu style and then add the Test.dmsm project

Set the DVD quality to HQ and then burn to a DVD, preferably a RW DVD. After a successful burn play the DVD and see if you still have problems.

One source of the problem might be the fact that you are using "fit-to-disc" None of us here recommend this setting as it gives very poor results especiall for longer videos.

I assume you are capturing to your hard drive and then burning to DVD. How long in time are the videos you are burning. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best (HQ) qaility. Any longer and the video has to be compressed. "Fit-to-disc" is the poorest choice. I would suggest splitting the video over two or more DVDs if you want to keep most of the captured quality.

My Vedios are 2 1/2 hours long my plan was to make the capters and then save them on multiple discs. If i select (HQ) and what ever doesnt can i then open another project and delete the begining to burn the end video that didnt fit the first time?

Any chance that you used "Plug 'n Burn"? We don't recommend it. Too many things can go wrong. We recommend that you use Media Import and capture to hard drive. Then import the files into Videowave to edit. You can then bring the Videowave project file into MyDVD to create your menu and burn to disc.

Im not realy editing much just want to add menus and chapters. Should i use videowave to edit length? And what if the audio and video go out of sync in Videowave?

You have to download and apply the ATI Caytlist update, it is not automatic. If you didn't do it, it ain't done ;)

You will also need want to go under Tools - Options - Render, and set it Software. This can be done in either VideoWave or MyDVD and you need to test run it that way.

Generally you do all of your editing in VideoWave and only shift to MyDVD to Author your menu interface and burn.

Chapters can only be set in MyDVD as they are part of the Menu, not the movie… You can set Markers in VideoWave and later convert them into Chapters in MyDVD. This is useful in some cases, redundant in others…

DVD’s only hold about 1 hour (4.7GB) or 2 (8.5GB) at HQ. If you captured from VHS tape it will not allow reducing the below HQ without badly deteriorating the quality!

You need to apply all of these suggestions and then try it out.

There are two kinds of out of sync issues. The first is where the audio and video match up at the start and then slowly go off kilter. The second is that the audio and video starts out of sync and stays about the same amount of out of sync.

Which do you have?

The consistent out of sync issue is fixable fairly easily. The issue where it starts in sync and then goes out of sync.is often related to dropped frames during capture. There is no good way to fix the issue related to dropped frames except to recapture the video in AVI format in short - 20 minute or so segments and then later add them together. A lot more work but really the only way of doing it that I know of.

A little more information would help us get a better picture. Try using these guidelines for describing your problem and your system: HERE

Jim here is some more info on my system. Windows xp professional, Version 2002, service pack 3, intel pentium dual cpu, e2220@2.4ghz, 2.39ghz, 2 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 4600 Video adapter

Do you have the latest Catalyst software/drivers installed, 10.12 Dec 2010?

HDD Free Space?

Defragged, today?

HOW did you capture? What Quality?

Software or Hardware Render? (Either way, change it!)

Do you have a DVD RW so you can burn it to see if works OK in a Player?

Are you using VideoWave or MyDVD to edit? (right answer is VW ;) )

Well I set the render to software and Goggled catylist updates ATI brought me to driver update wich i ran and there are non out of date. Tried another video in vidoewave and as soon as i move the bar its out of sync. any other thoughts? Do you think uninstalling and reinsalling would help and if i do that will i loose all the imported video?

Assuming you didn't store your Video within the Program Folders, it won't be touched!

Yes uninstall - reboot - reinstall & update.

It cannot hurt and may help...

Still, you never answererd any of my questions about qualtiy, defrag & test burns... Troubleshooting is taking the steps described, this is not going to be a 'pick & choose' ;)

My Vedios are 2 1/2 hours long my plan was to make the capters and then save them on multiple discs. If i select (HQ) and what ever doesnt can i then open another project and delete the begining to burn the end video that didnt fit the first time?

You cannot create video DVDs that span discs.

You can add the video, make a split at the 60 minutes mark and delete the right segment and then burn the remaininf segment

Then load the full video again, make splits at the 60 and 120 minute mark, delete the1st and last segment and then burn the middle segment.

You now get the idea on how to do the last segment.

I would of course initially just do a 15 minute segment and burn that to a RW DVD and see how the result looks and sounds.

jim. not sure how to check catalyst drivers, got on line and roxio whats me to down load "driver detective" is that correct? I have 223 GB HDD free, Defragged as part of my trouble shooting process. I captured the video in HQ using a usb adapter plugged into my VCR (the quality was adjusted to fit disc) I went to Vedio wave/tools/options/encoding test and it has a dot next to Hard drive is that correct?

I was using MY DVD edit because i was hopping to have Menus and Chapters. As i stated in my origional post I was able to do this the very first attemt but now i cant. Thanks

I don't quite understand what you are saying here: "i'm not sure how to do a test burn editing if things are out of sync?"

Launch Videowave and add a video

Switch to the Timeline and set the blue cursor at some point on the timeline, lets say the 10 minute mark. Then hit the Split icon. This will split the video into two segments. Select the segment on the right and click the delete icon.

Now using Save As, save you project as Test.dmsm, remember where you saved it

Exit Videowave and launch myDVD. Keep the default menu style and then add the Test.dmsm project

Set the DVD quality to HQ and then burn to a DVD, preferably a RW DVD. After a successful burn play the DVD and see if you still have problems.

Well i uninstalled and reinstalled creator 2011 and all upadates. Then did what you suggested and burned one 10 min dvd no problems. Then went to do a second one for a full dvd one hour with chapters ect. And i am back to square one the video and audio are out of sync!!! Not sure what to do now?

Well i uninstalled and reinstalled creator 2011 and all upadates. Then did what you suggested and burned one 10 min dvd no problems. Then went to do a second one for a full dvd one hour with chapters ect. And i am back to square one the video and audio are out of sync!!! Not sure what to do now?

What quality setting? Exactly how long in time? How many chapters?

jim. not sure how to check catalyst drivers, got on line and roxio whats me to down load "driver detective" is that correct? I have 223 GB HDD free, Defragged as part of my trouble shooting process. I captured the video in HQ using a usb adapter plugged into my VCR (the quality was adjusted to fit disc) I went to Vedio wave/tools/options/encoding test and it has a dot next to Hard drive is that correct?

I was using MY DVD edit because i was hopping to have Menus and Chapters. As i stated in my origional post I was able to do this the very first attemt but now i cant. Thanks

One source of the problem might be the fact that you are using "fit-to-disc" None of us here recommend this setting as it gives very poor results especiall for longer videos.

I assume you are capturing to your hard drive and then burning to DVD. How long in time are the videos you are burning. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best (HQ) qaility. Any longer and the video has to be compressed. "Fit-to-disc" is the poorest choice. I would suggest splitting the video over two or more DVDs if you want to keep most of the captured quality.

I was using MY DVD edit because i was hopping to have Menus and Chapters.
Any chance that you used "Plug 'n Burn"? We don't recommend it. Too many things can go wrong. We recommend that you use Media Import and capture to hard drive. Then import the files into Videowave to edit. You can then bring the Videowave project file into MyDVD to create your menu and burn to disc.

Archived