• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

how can i capture with 3 rca cables?

paulmpianist

Question

I have an older DV camera with 3 RCA cables to connect.. or S Video. I didn't buy it yet, but I like the camera . do either of these connectors have a way to connect to a modern pc? what kind of conversions are there? thanks if anybody has a reply.

ps. does anybody like the JVC hard disk camera? has anybody used it. something like this

JVC GZ-MG30U EVERIO 30GB HARD DISK CAMCORDER 25X ZOOM

thanks

you can e-mail me at paulm218@aol.com if you have any suggestions for fixing a JVC GR DV800u

this was a nice little camera until i got pepsi in the cassette carriage. it was in a ice skating gym bag and the pepsi was in there too. some kid must have punched a hole in the pepsi. everything runs fine, and it looks clean. I swabbed it with alcohol. but something in thecarriage eats tapes now. All of the wheels i can see, seem to spin just fine.

I guess you can take these to Ritz camera and they will call you from their repair facilitiy with a price to fix it.

I might just sell it on Ebay.

15 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley

At the risk of changing the subject......

Did you ever manage to capture the video footage or do you still need help?

Guest mlpasley

Most DV camcorders connect to a computer with either a USB or IEEE 1394 connection. According to information that I got over the net, that camcorder uses an IEEE 1394 connection to transfer video and the USB connection to transfer pictures. Unfortunately, most camcorder makers don't include the IEEE 1394 cable.

Your other option to connect with RCA cables is a capture card in your computer.

As to the hard disk camcorder....I'd advise caution. Once you transfer that video to the computer and tape over it, it'll be gone if you have a hard disk crash. With DV tapes or DVDs, you've got the original video on a removable media.

In addition, PC magazine didn't seem to like the video quality captured by the camcorder http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1872208,00.asp

The best camcorders capture at a high pixel resolution.

You might need a camcorder that plays the tapes that you already are using.

I had a camcorder that got dropped and ate tapes and it cost money to get appraised, but the cost of fixing it was much less than a new camcorder. And don't be too quick to blame a child for the hole in the can. Have you seen how thin they are making cans? I've had them get holes with rough handling.

I have an older DV camera with 3 RCA cables to connect.. or S Video. I didn't buy it yet, but I like the camera . do either of these connectors have a way to connect to a modern pc? what kind of conversions are there? thanks if anybody has a reply.

ps. does anybody like the JVC hard disk camera? has anybody used it. something like this

JVC GZ-MG30U EVERIO 30GB HARD DISK CAMCORDER 25X ZOOM

thanks

you can e-mail me at paulm218@aol.com if you have any suggestions for fixing a JVC GR DV800u

this was a nice little camera until i got pepsi in the cassette carriage. it was in a ice skating gym bag and the pepsi was in there too. some kid must have punched a hole in the pepsi. everything runs fine, and it looks clean. I swabbed it with alcohol. but something in thecarriage eats tapes now. All of the wheels i can see, seem to spin just fine.

I guess you can take these to Ritz camera and they will call you from their repair facilitiy with a price to fix it.

I might just sell it on Ebay.

Why would you have started your other thread with basically the same question? I have a JVC camcorder and use the capture card listed in my signature, to capture.

For you to sell a video camera on e-Bay, that you know is defective, pretty much tells me you have no ethics at all.

This thread won't be closed, but your other one may disappear.

Just to add a bit of information about the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) cables ml was talking about. There are a couple of different types. The one I use from my camcorder to my desktop computer is a 4 pin x 6 pin (4 pin on the camcorder and 6 pin on the computer), however I had to buy another different one that works from my camcorder to my HP Notebook. It's a 4 pin x 4 pin, as the port on my notebook is just a 4 pin type. They both work fine. So if you are going to need a Firewire cable just make sure exactly what kind you need.

Frank...

Why would you have started your other thread with basically the same question? I have a JVC camcorder and use the capture card listed in my signature, to capture.

For you to sell a video camera on e-Bay, that you know is defective, pretty much tells me you have no ethics at all.

For you to sell a video camera on e-Bay, that you know is defective, pretty much tells me you have no ethics at all.For you to sell a video camera on e-Bay, that you know is defective, pretty much tells me you have no ethics at all.For you to sell a video camera on e-Bay, that you know is defective, pretty much tells me you have no ethics at all.For you to sell a video camera on e-Bay, that you know is defective, pretty much tells me you have no ethics at all.

Hey Your honor... For you to judge me tells me you don't know what you're talking about.

I have 160 100% positive feedback on EBAY your honor. Because I did everybody good. You have a problem with that your honor?

What was the price i was asking your honor? What did the description of the item say your honor?

You're the witness, the judge the jury and nobody makes any mistakes around you, like posting in the wrong place without hearing about it.

You're just freaking flawless.

eBay is NOT a place for junk, which is what you now have.

However, I have seen non-working junk posted and carefully labeled as non-working, and didn't sell. (eBay wins those, because of the fees) :)

However, now that you have your email adddress up, and it's been up long enough for google to have come by and search the boards, you will probably be getting more spam now. Can't say I feel terribley sorry.

These ARE public boards, and searched by google and other search engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes.

Lynn

Believe it or not I am only just now starting to join the rest of the world in searching for bargains on ebay.

I would like to think that this fellow is not representative of the sellers out there.

Believe it or not I am only just now starting to join the rest of the world in searching for bargains on ebay.

I would like to think that this fellow is not representative of the sellers out there.

There are two major groups of sellers on eBay.

There are those sellers selling off their own stuff, and sometimes getting more and selling it - this is usually where the bargains are.

There are small businesses, especially liquidators of things that have been discontinued, and these also tend to fall into two categories - those who have low prices to move the stuff (they mostly ran out of Roxio ECDC 5 late last year), and those who are selling about the same price as elsewhere.

Watch out for the shipping charges - eBay is finally cracking down on excess shipping charges, where you pay a very low price for something because it's all in the shipping charge.

I was buying undervalued Andean music CDs and reselling them. However, not only was my market (all 5 customers) getting saturated, but eBay hiked the fees, and has done some other things to "help" power sellers (which cause the pages to load like molassas is gumming up the lines), and has "improved" the listing pages so the last couple times I posted I had to give up and turn on the WinXP to finish because it was too much for the 400MHz Win 98 SE.

Just be careful to read the feedback, and the auction detail.

There are mechanisims if there is a problem, but I've only had to resort to them twice - and I have an eBay rating of 462 (617 feedback recieved; 692 left - some don't give feedback). Both of those problems were relatively recently, tho.

Lynn

There are two major groups of sellers on eBay.

There are those sellers selling off their own stuff, and sometimes getting more and selling it - this is usually where the bargains are.

Watch out for the shipping charges - eBay is finally cracking down on excess shipping charges, where you pay a very low price for something because it's all in the shipping charge.

Just be careful to read the feedback, and the auction detail.

Lynn

Thanks for the tips. I've already noticed the difference in sellers where some seem to be like yourself and some are almost like retailers.

And with the shipping...wow...I've been looking for some lens for my cameras and while I fully expect the prices to rise dramatically by the final bids, the shipping charges might make it cheaper for me to buy from my camera dealer around the corner from me.

I've heard before too that the feedback is very important. Is it pretty much always the case, if feedback is positive, that all will be ok? I've heard rumours that it can be fudged slightly.

Well, I have a lot to learn and I hope to find a few things if not at bargain basement prices, maybe at least I'll save a few dollars. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the tips. I've already noticed the difference in sellers where some seem to be like yourself and some are almost like retailers.

And with the shipping...wow...I've been looking for some lens for my cameras and while I fully expect the prices to rise dramatically by the final bids, the shipping charges might make it cheaper for me to buy from my camera dealer around the corner from me.

I've heard before too that the feedback is very important. Is it pretty much always the case, if feedback is positive, that all will be ok? I've heard rumours that it can be fudged slightly.

Well, I have a lot to learn and I hope to find a few things if not at bargain basement prices, maybe at least I'll save a few dollars. Thanks for the tips.

I assume you know to click thru and see the actual info on the feedback - not just the summary number.

And if there are negatives, what kind of negatives? If someone left a really nasty feedback, click thru and check HIS feedback, and what kind of things he normally writes.

If there are a huge number of recent negatives (rarely happens anymore), the two likliest possibilities are illness/ISP problems, and rip-off. In that order. People do die without letting anyone know about auctions posted.

As to keeping feedback private - MAY indicate trouble, especially if there are a lot of negatives. Then again, I know someone who bought something via eBay.de rather than get it via his employer (it was faster & cheaper) & took his feedback private so his employer wasn't likely to find it (overreaction?). All feedback on his account is positive.

Lynn

Thanks for even more detail Lynn.

With a little bit of common sense I ought to be able to find what I want, get what I expect and hopefully win my bids.

again, thanks for the advice...I'm always open to it.

I don't see where you get so quick to judge that someone's camera with a problem is junk. It has been a very good camera with a possible minor problem, but i haven't solved it yet. There are people who woudl snap it up because they know the equipment and how easy it can be to fix, and they have all the tools and they have been inside of the gear. There is a guy on Ebay with the screenname JVCguy or something like that, who has snatched a number of nice deals away. Someone like that (and there are more than you think) collects these cameras and makes good equipment out of them.

on the other issue of Feedback.. there are people who buy a hundred - one dollar items to get their feedback looking like a great reputation and gain people's confidence. then they scam by trying to sell a big ticket item and then they run.

I even emailed the buyer to find out that they were a victim sometimes.

The other thing someone did was stole someones login information and they were selling a 2500 dollar keyboard from a 100% positive feedback of only previous Hawaiian coffe sales.

I don't think you should be judging people and situations you don't know. there are a lot of good people struggling with lack of cleverness or opportunity that have to make do with meager means and they can look suspicious too, but in fact they might be great people.

anyway

good luck.

I'm not sure these replies are falling in the right place when i send them

I happen to agree with you, paulmpianist. I have no idea how you would have advertised the camera, but I'll assume you would have put it on ebay with an honest appraisal of it's problems.

I've bought things such as some fairly expensive printers that way on ebay, and gotten very good deals because they were posted as having problems. The details of the problem let me know what I was getting and in one case at least, I knew before it arrived that the problem with the "jams" was caused by a tiny shred of paper stuck in a sensor, just inside the front cover on the left side. I picked up a $600 printer for $150, fixed it, checked it out, and resold it as working, which it was. No harm no foul, and no ethics problems with either the original auction or mine.

Selling broken things on ebay is not terribly uncommon. The key is that they should be properly listed as not working.

As for shipping... yep, watch out. I came across one auction for a laptop, it had a really low starting bid, but the shipping was almost the price of a new laptop, about $1200. It was listed "properly", but you had to do a little looking to find the shipping charge. Pretty misleading. Buyer beware.

I'm curious to know what kind of price you expect to get on Ebay paulm....for your camera. Ifr it wasn't a great deal of money why bother, unless you sell hundreds of items and they all add up to a lot. I know nothing about Ebay except for what I read, but it would seem to me to sell just a single item on Ebay for just a slight profit wouldn't be worth it. Are you a big seller on Ebay with a lot of different items ? Just curious.

redwagon...

I happen to agree with you, paulmpianist. I have no idea how you would have advertised the camera, but I'll assume you would have put it on ebay with an honest appraisal of it's problems.

I've bought things such as some fairly expensive printers that way on ebay, and gotten very good deals because they were posted as having problems. The details of the problem let me know what I was getting and in one case at least, I knew before it arrived that the problem with the "jams" was caused by a tiny shred of paper stuck in a sensor, just inside the front cover on the left side. I picked up a $600 printer for $150, fixed it, checked it out, and resold it as working, which it was. No harm no foul, and no ethics problems with either the original auction or mine.

Selling broken things on ebay is not terribly uncommon. The key is that they should be properly listed as not working.

As for shipping... yep, watch out. I came across one auction for a laptop, it had a really low starting bid, but the shipping was almost the price of a new laptop, about $1200. It was listed "properly", but you had to do a little looking to find the shipping charge. Pretty misleading. Buyer beware.

That seller should've been reported.

Altho I admit the reporting process is irksomely cumbersome.

However, eBay.com finally explained how I could report a "multiple auction" problem (more than 10 concurrent) to eBay.de directly so they didn't have to keep fwding it :huh: I think 550 is more than 10 :)

Lynn

I don't see where you get so quick to judge that someone's camera with a problem is junk. It has been a very good camera with a possible minor problem, but i haven't solved it yet. There are people who woudl snap it up because they know the equipment and how easy it can be to fix, and they have all the tools and they have been inside of the gear. There is a guy on Ebay with the screenname JVCguy or something like that, who has snatched a number of nice deals away. Someone like that (and there are more than you think) collects these cameras and makes good equipment out of them.

on the other issue of Feedback.. there are people who buy a hundred - one dollar items to get their feedback looking like a great reputation and gain people's confidence. then they scam by trying to sell a big ticket item and then they run.

I even emailed the buyer to find out that they were a victim sometimes.

The other thing someone did was stole someones login information and they were selling a 2500 dollar keyboard from a 100% positive feedback of only previous Hawaiian coffe sales.

I don't think you should be judging people and situations you don't know. there are a lot of good people struggling with lack of cleverness or opportunity that have to make do with meager means and they can look suspicious too, but in fact they might be great people.

anyway

good luck.

I'm not sure these replies are falling in the right place when i send them

Archived