Bert From Philly

Old .avi Problem

Question

I think I need to find an old cedec or something. I used an old .avi called "Old1 SMPTE.avi" that I got from a really old version of Videowave (Version 3, I think??.) It still worked on my computer with Creator 09 under XP. I loaded Windows 7 and Creator 10, but now I get the messages "File format not supported. Please install appropriate decoders to play this file." from Cineplayer, and a message in Videowave that says the file might be old or corrupted. How to I go about loading old codecs without screwing up my current setup?

The configuration listed below is before I went to Windows 7 and Creator 10.

Edited by Bert From Philly

7 answers to this question

I think I need to find an old cedec or something. I used an old .avi called "Old1 SMPTE.avi" that I got from a really old version of Videowave (Version 3, I think??.) It still worked on my computer with Creator 09 under XP. I loaded Windows 7 and Creator 10, but now I get the messages "File format not supported. Please install appropriate decoders to play this file." from Cineplayer, and a message in Videowave that says the file might be old or corrupted. How to I go about loading old codecs without screwing up my current setup?

The configuration listed below is before I went to Windows 7 and Creator 10.

There is no Creator 10!

There is a Easy Media Creator 10.

There is a Creator 2010.

It would be very helpful if folks could call it by the correct name!

Use GSpot free download Google it, to identify the file.

Sorry. I am not familiar with all these fine products. I have roxio Creator2010 PRO. I know I should be more attentive to various versions and product variations but I have been busy trying to get some work done.

Regards,

Bert

There is no Creator 10!

There is a Easy Media Creator 10.

There is a Creator 2010.

It would be very helpful if folks could call it by the correct name!

Use GSpot free download Google it, to identify the file.

Hi Bert,

As Cdanteek said, use the GSpot Codec Information Appliance program to find out what codec the AVI file uses.

Download GSpor from HERE. It's a small, free, and safe program.

Run it and drag the AVI file onto it. GSpot will show both the video and the audio codec used in your AVI, and then you can find and install the missing codec.

Thank you Brandon and Cdanteek. Also, thanks for the tip about the IE 9 Beta.

Bert

Hi Bert,

As Cdanteek said, use the GSpot Codec Information Appliance program to find out what codec the AVI file uses.

Download GSpor from HERE. It's a small, free, and safe program.

Run it and drag the AVI file onto it. GSpot will show both the video and the audio codec used in your AVI, and then you can find and install the missing codec.

I'd get XviD from xvid.org and DivX from Divx.com.

Get them from the makers' sites where possible, to avoid all the other advertizing and search bars that get foisted on you by Cnet and other such commercial sites.