Copy And Convert Aspect Ratio / Smart Encoding

art.e.r

Question

Hi , I have been working on a project trying to get copy & convert to make a playable dvd and have had some seeming issues...

my mpeg 2 file is being encoded in a secondary program (TmpgEnc Express 4) which has no authoring features of any kind but is a preferred encoder.

problem's I seem to be running into is with getting smart encoding to work , I think I may have figured that out ( but am not sure) I am right now rendering my video again with tmpgenc's standard dvd template with a cbr@ 4000kbs , and ac3 audio , hopefully setting the copy & convert settings to match will activate smart encoding ?

my first attempt was with MPA audio so I guess that forced re-encoding?

second problem I am having is that I am not sure if copy & convert is keeping the aspect ratio , the preview I saw on my first attempt was in a 4:3 ratio , I canceled that project because of a lack of smart encoding ( don't like to make coasters of too many dvd disks ;-) so I don't really know that the aspect was there but not displayed in the preview or if somehow my aspect ratio is not coming through from Tmpgenc to Roxio. does the Roxio preview always display 4:3 or will it also display 16:9 if it detects that as the input ratio ?

my original file is a tv capture , in TmpgEnc it is cropped to a 16;9 ratio and given some PP work , then encoded to a dvd standard with the setting for 'display 16:9' , the part of the aspect ratio that is confusing me is the input capture file is a 4:3 ratio because of pixel shape , but the output of a dvd standard file is not giving the pixel shapes options and only offers a "display 16:9" option so I am not really sure if Roxio is seeing the original pixel shape ratio , or the outputted "display" ratio or if they are actually different at all. I am able to experiment outside of the DVD template with mpeg2 formats and options but thought trying inside of compliant DVD template would be the best bet...

I am also not seeming to be able to find an aspect ratio option in copy and convert?

really though just knowing if the preview will display 16:9 if that is the detected format will tell me I need to experiment some more...

what my aim is is to take my tv capture , crop it to a 16:9 ratio resize to 720X480 then author a disk that is 16:9 optimized

so what I am looking for here is if my settings sound good for getting some smart encoding action happening ? and if copy and convert will definitely preview in the final formats aspect ratio? and/or if there is an aspect ratio option in Copy and convert app?

thanks for any help

regards

Art

9 answers to this question

Use MyDVD (Create DVD) to make your DVD rather than Copy and Convert.

Thanks for the reply , I gave MyDVD a try and seemed to find options good in it , but my project is displaying as pillar boxed in a 16:9 shaped display so every thing is squished thin , I don't see any way for me to define a 4:3 or 16:9 ratio in the software , only for the menu in custom options. there seems to be no option to set the project aspect ratio , or an option to define the input ratio ...

I am not sure on how MyDVD or any of the roxio video apps are viewing the aspect ratio for the video , I can play this mpeg2 in WMP fine and the 16:9 optimization works and the frame is stretched to a 16:9, but roxio does not seem to see it that way...

a little bit frustrating because I know the file is compliant and really only needs to be converted into a video TS folder with vob's and I cant seem to do that without re-encoding...

I guess it is back to the encoder to find how to set the aspect ratio better... :-(

thanks again , any suggestions are welcomed

Art

Generally speaking... you will be far better off just using ONE software rather than some Smorgasbord Approach ;)

Once in a while one software will have something that the other does not... And I have never seen an instance where I really NEED that feature :lol:

I think that is a matter of prefrence , I preffer the Tmpegenc encoding , and am looking to access Roxio's smart encoding...

regards

Art

MyDVD is an Authoring program and accepts the Video as is… There are very, very few Authoring programs that can Edit!

Video Copy & Convert also accepts Video, as is and has NO adjustment…

VideoWave is an Editor and that is why Steve suggested you try it.

Set it to a File – New Project – 16:9, BEFORE you add your video clip.

If the other program has used some non-standard method of creating a 16:9, there are ways to handle it…

One is through the Project Settings on how to handle non 16:9 sources. Choice being “Show entire source” or “Fill screen”.

Again this must be selected BEFORE you add the video into VideoWave… (in Creator 2011 you can change this on the fly ;) )

Lastly, in some cases, even a 16:9 project ends up ‘squished’… :o

In that case it can be added as on Overlay and adjusted are needed.

From there you either 'Send to MyDVD' or 'Export As' to create a new file for use in MyDVD.

MyDVD is an Authoring program and accepts the Video as is… There are very, very few Authoring programs that can Edit!

Video Copy & Convert also accepts Video, as is and has NO adjustment…

VideoWave is an Editor and that is why Steve suggested you try it.

Set it to a File – New Project – 16:9, BEFORE you add your video clip.

If the other program has used some non-standard method of creating a 16:9, there are ways to handle it…

One is through the Project Settings on how to handle non 16:9 sources. Choice being “Show entire source” or “Fill screen”.

Again this must be selected BEFORE you add the video into VideoWave… (in Creator 2011 you can change this on the fly ;) )

Lastly, in some cases, even a 16:9 project ends up ‘squished’… :o

In that case it can be added as on Overlay and adjusted are needed.

From there you either 'Send to MyDVD' or 'Export As' to create a new file for use in MyDVD.

Thanks , VideoWave did the trick , I opened the mpeg2 there setting the 16:9 option and just moved it to Mydvd , set the no menu option ( because I am just testing) and selected dvd

the quality setting had an option for "same as original" and that set the encoding to smart encode , the disk burned and tested out good.

with a little bit of practice I imagine I will be able to do the same with just MyDVD and skip the VideoWave part, probably just need a bit of experimenting with aspect ratio settings...

am interested in some input about menu's , I could not find any way to adjust the menu button to preview for portions of the video ( it is just kind of stuck at the start of the video) , will I need to encode a section to set as an animated button ?

I also noticed that there are animated main menu choices , are these also buildable ? , an animated main menu and thumbnail episode still's for buttons would work good too.

thanks for the help , I do TV capture and local storage has become a bit unmanagable so I really needed a method for authoring to disk without having to install the OEM that came with the recorder...

regards

Art

Glad to hear that!

I suggest you do not skip VW... It is your editor and while you can do some editing in MyDVD, you will end up painting yourself into a corner :o

If you Save in VW you can use the resulting Project file (dmsm) in MyDVD the same you would a movie clip! Even though dmsm files don't contain a single frame of video, they hold all the information about your VW Project.

Re: Menus. This is from an earlier version but it should (mostly) work in your version.

How to make a long menu.

Also make sure you have selected motion menus and have click on the animation preview to see the animation in the preview screen. Both these controls are above the menu preview window.

thanks for the link , it looks like that will still apply to creator 2010 and is the kind of thing I could use to fancy up my disks a bit ;-)

Archived