Dvd Format

gary b

Question

12 answers to this question

That's a loaded question. It is easier and faster to edit video if you use the right kind of AVI but all DVDs that play on home video players use the mpg2 format. If you look at the files on a home burned DVD, you wll see vob files. These are mpg2 files under a different name. AVI (DV( files are very large an older computers didn't have the hard drive space to work with them.

How about giving us more about why you are asking the question?

Thanks for responding. I am looking for the best quality in the end.Storage isn't a problem ,I am using a 500 GB external hardrive for my project.What would you suggest?AVI or MPEG?

Could you look at my post dated Jan. 22 in under Creator 2009 How To and Usability.There are questions I was hoping to have answered.

Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled 2009 and the home page changed to a different look.It now mentions Creator 2011 and has different icons for the functions? How do I get back to the original home page? Thanks gary b

Thanks for responding. I am looking for the best quality in the end.Storage isn't a problem ,I am using a 500 GB external hardrive for my project.What would you suggest?AVI or MPEG?

Could you look at my post dated Jan. 22 in under Creator 2009 How To and Usability.There are questions I was hoping to have answered.

Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled 2009 and the home page changed to a different look.It now mentions Crestor 2011 and has different icons titles? How do I get back to the original home page? Thanks gary b

Best quality? Blu-ray or AVCHD. Please read my original response. All DVDs that play on a home DVD player are mpg2 format. Keep the video down to about one hour and encode using the high quality option in MyDVD

Please post a screen shot of you home page as it looks now. If it looks different, it may be because of an incomplete or faulty reinstall. If you see Creator 2011 down toward the bottom, it is an advertisement to upgrade. I don't know what you mean by different icon titles. Post the picture !

Also, you could have been nice and posted a link to the referenced thread so we don't have to try to find it.

Go to the top of this page and clcik on the Support tab and then support home. Type in your error messages in "Quotes". You should get a lot of help. If those Kb articles don't work, come back here and post more.

Prepare you computer like this, shut off (not just pause) your anti-virus, insert the original disc in your drive and then when the option comes up, either do a repair or a install.

If that doesn't work, download Revo Uninstaller (free) from cnet.com and use it in the MODERATE MOde to uninstall the program. Agree to let it remove the registry items associated with the program. Again turn off your anti-virus and reinstall the program.

As my signature says, do not run IE9 beta if you have installed it.

I used Revo Uninstaller as per your reccommendations and reinstalled creator 2009 with the firewall down and the same problem occurs-Certifocate File missing or has been corrupted Please reinstall it, followed by - no permission to launch.One other thing,the Roxio 2009 shows up in the ADD or REMOVE in Control Panel but it shows only a size of 3.39 MB.I don't want to have to spend another $100.00 for creator 2011 but I'm really close to being defeated! Do you or anyone else have Roxio Creator 2009 for sale? I'm still hanging in there with Roxio but my opinion is starting to waiver, gary b

I used Revo Uninstaller as per your reccommendations and reinstalled creator 2009 with the firewall down and the same problem occurs-Certifocate File missing or has been corrupted Please reinstall it, followed by - no permission to launch.One other thing,the Roxio 2009 shows up in the ADD or REMOVE in Control Panel but it shows only a size of 3.39 MB.I don't want to have to spend another $100.00 for creator 2011 but I'm really close to being defeated! Do you or anyone else have Roxio Creator 2009 for sale? I'm still hanging in there with Roxio but my opinion is starting to waiver, gary b

Did you try to apply a Creator 2011 fix to Creator 2009? That would be the only way you would have any kind of a Creator 2011 message.

When you opened Revo Uninstaller (Moderate Mode). what other Roxio and/or Sonic application were listed? Did you allow the Uninstaller to remove all the registry/folder entries that it wanted to? There are a lot of them and it does take some time. If you used Revo properly then you should NOT have any entries in the add/remove program until you tried to reinstall.

Did your computer or purchased hardware come with any Roxio/Sonic applications?

Buying new or updated software will NOT fix your problem and may create more of them.

IN addition to what sknis has suggested...

For the install, shutting down the firewall does not matter, disabling the antivirus may help a lot more.

What is the best format to use when making a dvd movie? AVI or MPEG?

That's a loaded question. It is easier and faster to edit video if you use the right kind of AVI but all DVDs that play on home video players use the mpg2 format. If you look at the files on a home burned DVD, you wll see vob files. These are mpg2 files under a different name. AVI (DV( files are very large an older computers didn't have the hard drive space to work with them.

How about giving us more about why you are asking the question?

Did you try to apply a Creator 2011 fix to Creator 2009? That would be the only way you would have any kind of a Creator 2011 message.

When you opened Revo Uninstaller (Moderate Mode). what other Roxio and/or Sonic application were listed? Did you allow the Uninstaller to remove all the registry/folder entries that it wanted to? There are a lot of them and it does take some time. If you used Revo properly then you should NOT have any entries in the add/remove program until you tried to reinstall.

Did your computer or purchased hardware come with any Roxio/Sonic applications?

Buying new or updated software will NOT fix your problem and may create more of them.

That's a big no to trying a 2011 fix and a no to any hardware/computer coming with any Roxio/Sonic product. But it ,CR2009, is now working!Thank You God!

In regards to the Revo Uninstaller when it got to the step about removing any registry/folder entries and putting a check mark next to the entries I wanted removed I got cautious and didn't select every one because in the chain of folders to sub folders some of the folders refered to things that may be related to other applications and Revo was asking me to only pick the ones I wanted to remove. I was expecting that at this step Revo would would only show Registry/folders used by Roxio. So I only checked from Roxio down.

But when I reinstalled CR2009 it still didn't work so I said what the heck! I qpened Revo again and checked 99% more of the boxes.I then reinstalled CR2009 and it worked, Hooray!! In the add/remove program it still lists Roxio as weighing 3.39mb but I can live with that!Now after hassling with this I can get back to my project and figuring out how to edit the sound track on the video I'm editting.I hope you read this because I want to give you a big THANK YOU

gary b

Best quality? Blu-ray or AVCHD. Please read my original response. All DVDs that play on a home DVD player are mpg2 format. Keep the video down to about one hour and encode using the high quality option in MyDVD

Please post a screen shot of you home page as it looks now. If it looks different, it may be because of an incomplete or faulty reinstall. If you see Creator 2011 down toward the bottom, it is an advertisement to upgrade. I don't know what you mean by different icon titles. Post the picture !

Also, you could have been nice and posted a link to the referenced thread so we don't have to try to find it.

I apologize for not being as computer savvy as I would like but being truthfull I will be. I don't know how to do a screen-shot or create a link.Neither do I speak computer language fluently but I'm learning. So I'm going to cruise the neighborhood to hopefully find a solution.As for my previous post dated 1-22-11,It is in the How To and Useability forum.Oh! by the way since starting this reply two days ago I have learned how to do a screenshot.But now I have even bigger problems. While uninstalling and installing creator 2009 I did something and now I am getting notices such as "certificate files are missing or corrupted" and "no permision to launch application". so all my other questions have taken a back seat to this new problem.Also the Roxio capture device is missing.It is listed in the Add Or Remove folder but it shows as nothing is in its folder No GB's there. Any fixes on your brain? please respond asap, thanks

I apologize for not being as computer savvy as I would like but being truthfull I will be. I don't know how to do a screen-shot or create a link.Neither do I speak computer language fluently but I'm learning. So I'm going to cruise the neighborhood to hopefully find a solution.As for my previous post dated 1-22-11,It is in the How To and Useability forum.Oh! by the way since starting this reply two days ago I have learned how to do a screenshot.But now I have even bigger problems. While uninstalling and installing creator 2009 I did something and now I am getting notices such as "certificate files are missing or corrupted" and "no permision to launch application". so all my other questions have taken a back seat to this new problem.Also the Roxio capture device is missing.It is listed in the Add Or Remove folder but it shows as nothing is in its folder No GB's there. Any fixes on your brain? please respond asap, thanks

Go to the top of this page and clcik on the Support tab and then support home. Type in your error messages in "Quotes". You should get a lot of help. If those Kb articles don't work, come back here and post more.

Prepare you computer like this, shut off (not just pause) your anti-virus, insert the original disc in your drive and then when the option comes up, either do a repair or a install.

If that doesn't work, download Revo Uninstaller (free) from cnet.com and use it in the MODERATE MOde to uninstall the program. Agree to let it remove the registry items associated with the program. Again turn off your anti-virus and reinstall the program.

As my signature says, do not run IE9 beta if you have installed it.

Archived