• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

kanimal

Can't Open Previous Toast Files

Question

Am I the only one who thinks it is really stupid that CD files make from Toast 8 can't be opened in Toast 10???!!!!

Really sorry I purchased this.

Anyone have a suggestion for a better CD writing program?

9 answers to this question

Are these audio CD files or data CD files? If you still have Toast 8 you should be able to continue working with them in that version.

Kanimal,

Can you please elaborate? I'm having a problem where I used a previous mac with a previous version of Toast to backup hundreds of my audio cd's to SD2F files. When I would mount the image files, iTunes and OS X would treat them like the original CD. I collected another 100 or so CD's over the past 2 years and wanted to back them up. Since I had a new Mac I decided to just buy the newest version of Toast (10.08). Now every existing SD2F file I own mounts as a single file. iTunes doesn't recognize it and it's useless. In fact most of the time they crash Toast completely. Thing is, I owned several versions of Toast and can't even remember which version I used for these. Like you (I think), I assumed the newest version would open the old versions. As for now, I'm pretty screwed. Anyway, please clarify if this is the issue you're having too.

Kanimal,

Can you please elaborate? I'm having a problem where I used a previous mac with a previous version of Toast to backup hundreds of my audio cd's to SD2F files. When I would mount the image files, iTunes and OS X would treat them like the original CD. I collected another 100 or so CD's over the past 2 years and wanted to back them up. Since I had a new Mac I decided to just buy the newest version of Toast (10.08). Now every existing SD2F file I own mounts as a single file. iTunes doesn't recognize it and it's useless. In fact most of the time they crash Toast completely. Thing is, I owned several versions of Toast and can't even remember which version I used for these. Like you (I think), I assumed the newest version would open the old versions. As for now, I'm pretty screwed. Anyway, please clarify if this is the issue you're having too.

The .sd2f files should always have opened as a single audio track in iTunes. However, if you drag the .sd2f file to Toast with Audio CD selected as the format in the Audio window or Audio Files selected as the source in the Convert window you'll see the individual tracks. Using the Convert window you can export those to iTunes as individual tracks.

I never opened or tried to open SD2F files with iTunes. I would mount them with Toast, they would appear as a normal audio CD to the Mac OS X system and then I would import them with iTunes.

Basically I have a few hundred SD2F files that are 'broken' and a few hundred that work. The ones that work (created with 10.x Toast) show a preview window in finder, allow preview/Quick-Look play in Finder and can be mounted properly.

They original few hundred (created with an earlier version of Toast) do not have the preview icon or allow preview/quick-look. Dragging them to Toast (with Audio CD selected) crashes toast. Choosing Utilities/Mount Disc Image does mount the disc but it's a single file.

For clarity, I absolutely, positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt used to mount those SD2F images and everything worked perfectly. Not sure what's going on, but starting to get pretty worried.

One other thing I notice is that when you right-click on an SD2F file I no longer have the 'Mount It' option available like I did on my old mac. 'Toast It' is still there, but I never use that.

Kenb

I never opened or tried to open SD2F files with iTunes. I would mount them with Toast, they would appear as a normal audio CD to the Mac OS X system and then I would import them with iTunes.

Basically I have a few hundred SD2F files that are 'broken' and a few hundred that work. The ones that work (created with 10.x Toast) show a preview window in finder, allow preview/Quick-Look play in Finder and can be mounted properly.

They original few hundred (created with an earlier version of Toast) do not have the preview icon or allow preview/quick-look. Dragging them to Toast (with Audio CD selected) crashes toast. Choosing Utilities/Mount Disc Image does mount the disc but it's a single file.

For clarity, I absolutely, positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt used to mount those SD2F images and everything worked perfectly. Not sure what's going on, but starting to get pretty worried.

One other thing I notice is that when you right-click on an SD2F file I no longer have the 'Mount It' option available like I did on my old mac. 'Toast It' is still there, but I never use that.

Kenb

I don't know what may have changed. Roxio did make significant changes when they added the Jam features to the audio portion of Toast 8. But my recollection is that didn't prevent .sd2f images from earlier versions from being opened properly within Toast. It's very strange that the broken .sd2f files won't play with Quick-Look. Will they open in QuickTime? I'm wondering if something has corrupted those files.

If you still have an earlier version of Toast you can use it to see if that makes any difference. The best way to install an old version of Toast is to copy it from a backup.

It would be a hassle but you might try opening them in CD Spin Doctor where you can mark the tracks and export those to iTunes.

I have Bias Peak LE which opens .sd2f files and recognizes each track as a region. There is a send to iTunes option in which you can select the file to be sent as a single file or individual tracks according to the region markers. When I did this it sent the tracks with their title names but not the artist or album info.

I have experienced a similar problem to yours. I have 550 sd2f files which I used to backup my precious disk collection. They were made with Toast 7 Titanium and they could be mounted onto the desktop with the Utilities/Mount file command of all mac versions including Snow Leopard. When I upgraded to Lion, Toast 7 continued to run but would not mount the files, delivering a mac error 192! I have just bought a copy of Toast 11 Titanium, and I am back to normal, I can mount all the files again. If you send me a file I would be happy to check if it would be mountable with my mac and lion, using Toast 11.

:rolleyes:

Lechd

Kenb

I have experienced a similar problem to yours. I have 550 sd2f files which I used to backup my precious disk collection. They were made with Toast 7 Titanium and they could be mounted onto the desktop with the Utilities/Mount file command of all mac versions including Snow Leopard. When I upgraded to Lion, Toast 7 continued to run but would not mount the files, delivering a mac error 192! I have just bought a copy of Toast 11 Titanium, and I am back to normal, I can mount all the files again. If you send me a file I would be happy to check if it would be mountable with my mac and lion, using Toast 11.

:rolleyes:

Lechd

Hi, I just joined this community. I would like to tell what I found with this toast-image (Sd2f-Format) miracles. When I copy them to a NAS-Volume via smb (Samba) or a ntfs formatted Disk then I cannot remount them from there even with a ntfs Utility for Mac. If I copy them via AFP (Apple File Protocol) I can mount them from the same physical medium as I always can with a Apple hfs-formatted disk. If there is anybody in this group, who could explain this phenomenon, let me know. One more thing is the icon. It is different. If it is "wrong" (Samba) it is the Toast icon, if it is "right" (AFP) it shows the Itunes-Icon. I still use Snow Leopard and Toast 10.

Reiner

Hi, I just joined this community. I would like to tell what I found with this toast-image (Sd2f-Format) miracles. When I copy them to a NAS-Volume via smb (Samba) or a ntfs formatted Disk then I cannot remount them from there even with a ntfs Utility for Mac. If I copy them via AFP (Apple File Protocol) I can mount them from the same physical medium as I always can with a Apple hfs-formatted disk. If there is anybody in this group, who could explain this phenomenon, let me know. One more thing is the icon. It is different. If it is "wrong" (Samba) it is the Toast icon, if it is "right" (AFP) it shows the Itunes-Icon. I still use Snow Leopard and Toast 10.

Reiner

Thanks Reiner....that's a great hint as to the cause of the problem, as I certainly do store mine on NAS drives and never thought of that. Here's more data for anyone that can help:

1. I have good and bad (corrupt) files of the same album for comparison.

2. Both are currently located on my internal drive on my mac

3. LIke Reiner said, one has a Toast Icon and does not work. I can mount it, but like all the 'bad' or 'corrupt' SD2f the result is a single audio track.

4. The other file has the music note icon and mounts perfectly

5. I compared both files using mac dev tools Merge/Compare utility and it shows NO differences between the data in the files

6. Under the 'get info' for the files all settings are the same and permissions are identical in terminal (ls -l)

7. The ONLY difference I can find between the files is that one is slightly larger than the other.

I'm not a unix/mac programmer or very knowledgable, so I may not make sense here, but the two (2) thoughts I have are either:

1. SMB transfer changes some of the file container info which confuses mac os x and Toast

or

2. I believe mac os x has some type of internal database for CD's mounted on the system. Could this file be corrupt or confused by the SMB transfer?

I still have many (500+) CD's I backed up, that are now corrupt. I don't want to back them all up again for fear of the same thing happening. Please help!

Thanks Reiner....that's a great hint as to the cause of the problem, as I certainly do store mine on NAS drives and never thought of that. Here's more data for anyone that can help:

1. I have good and bad (corrupt) files of the same album for comparison.

2. Both are currently located on my internal drive on my mac

3. LIke Reiner said, one has a Toast Icon and does not work. I can mount it, but like all the 'bad' or 'corrupt' SD2f the result is a single audio track.

4. The other file has the music note icon and mounts perfectly

5. I compared both files using mac dev tools Merge/Compare utility and it shows NO differences between the data in the files

6. Under the 'get info' for the files all settings are the same and permissions are identical in terminal (ls -l)

7. The ONLY difference I can find between the files is that one is slightly larger than the other.

I'm not a unix/mac programmer or very knowledgable, so I may not make sense here, but the two (2) thoughts I have are either:

1. SMB transfer changes some of the file container info which confuses mac os x and Toast

or

2. I believe mac os x has some type of internal database for CD's mounted on the system. Could this file be corrupt or confused by the SMB transfer?

I still have many (500+) CD's I backed up, that are now corrupt. I don't want to back them all up again for fear of the same thing happening. Please help!

OK. I'm getting very close here. The difference between my Sd2f files that work and that are 'corrupt' are due to the Extended Attributes of the Sd2f files being changed, presumably by OS X file system or a NAS SMB server.

Bottom line is that it appears the metadata that tells Finder that the Sd2f is an audio file, to display the correct icon and that tells Toast how to properly mount the file are all stored as Extended Attribute Metadata.

You can see this in terminal using 'xattr -l filename.Sd2f'

In the damaged files that no longer work, all of this data is wiped clean of the CD info and is very generic. Plus there is are DOS and SMB attributes not normally found in the Extended Attributes of working files.

I can attach a txt file of a good and bad Sd2f or dump them here if it would help anyone. I'm not a programmer and have very rarely ever used terminal, so I'm in over my head, just very desperate to get my CD collection back. To summarize, something is changing the extended attributes and rendering the Sd2f files unusable. I'm hoping they can be saved. Not sure exactly what causes it and if locking the Sd2f might prevent corruption in the future. Many of my files are fine, but hundreds are not.

Ideas?