• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Newbi Needs Help With Max Chapter Limit

Charles_E_F

Question

Hi All,

I use Roxio 2010 and am trying to create my first DVD photo/movie disc. I have used Roxio for many years but I never created a DVD before and I need some help.

I have 356 jpg photos that I used to create a slideshow. I then used this slideshow in MyDVD to create chapters when I ran into the 99 chapter limit. The reason I want to create chapters is so that I can press the 'Next' or 'Previous' button and not have to wait for the time delay to change photos. I used 10 second delay for all photos but sometime I want to change photos faster than 10 seconds. To get around this problem I think I can breakup the 356 photos into 4 groups (titles) which will be sure to be under the 99 chapter limit for each title.

My question is: Will the 'Next' or 'Previous' button still work to change photos even with a Title in the middle of chapters? Example: chapter1 chapter2 chapter3 title2 chapter1 - so each time I press 'Next' it will follow the order I have given in my example?

Also, how do I make the last photo go back to the main title when the slideshow is at the end. Currently, once I reach the end of the slideshow the disc stops playing instead of going back to the main title.

Thanks for any help or ideas,

Charles

12 answers to this question

That size/time figure means nothng unless you also state the burn quality setting. As sknis has posted, a standard 4.7GB DVD can hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. That 2 hour time is marketing ploy and would give you 2 hours at the lowest quality. To determine the length of time of your slideshow, jump to the end of the timeline and note the time.

In your original post you stated you have 356 pictures showing 10 secs each. That would give you a video of slightly less then 60 minutes which would fill up the DVD (at HQ quality) without any menu. Since you want to create a "huge" menu structure, it also requires a fair size on the DVD which of course has to be taken away from the slideshow allotment.

Personally I think what you are trying to to do with that number of chapters is unrealistic. Try what sknis has suggested using the "DVD Projector" option.

Hi myguggi and sknis,

I just checked my DVD again and I found that the time delay is not 10 seconds. I set this time delay in SlideShow but it seems that MyDVD did not use this setting. I guess there is another location where I have to set the time delay in MyDVD. I burned this DVD with the HQ setting, including the jpg files, title and chapters the size of the project is about 2.5GB total. I will try sknis idea and post the results over the weekend.

Thanks for all the help,

Charles

How long in time were the videos on the DVDs you burned?

Hi myguggi,

According to the size/time scale shown in MyDVD, I have about 31 minutes remaining on the disc. I have not actually timed the DVD myself but assuming a 2 hour DVD disc - time remaining = 1 hour 29 minutes long. This number comes from the last DVD burn I did when I ran into the 99 chapter limit.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

Hi myguggi,

According to the size/time scale shown in MyDVD, I have about 31 minutes remaining on the disc. I have not actually timed the DVD myself but assuming a 2 hour DVD disc - time remaining = 1 hour 29 minutes long. This number comes from the last DVD burn I did when I ran into the 99 chapter limit.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

Your assumption of 2 hours is incorrect. At best quality (and who would not want best quality) you can get about one hour of video on a single layer disc.

If you want to create a slide show that can be controlled via a remote, - no music, no transitions, etc. Open the Photo tab and select to create slide show.

Add the images and then in step 2, select "DVD Projector" This is is a down and dirty way to get to what you want.

post-58-029563600 1296158514.jpg

Hi myguggi,

Thanks for your help,

Charles

That size/time figure means nothng unless you also state the burn quality setting. As sknis has posted, a standard 4.7GB DVD can hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. That 2 hour time is marketing ploy and would give you 2 hours at the lowest quality. To determine the length of time of your slideshow, jump to the end of the timeline and note the time.

In your original post you stated you have 356 pictures showing 10 secs each. That would give you a video of slightly less then 60 minutes which would fill up the DVD (at HQ quality) without any menu. Since you want to create a "huge" menu structure, it also requires a fair size on the DVD which of course has to be taken away from the slideshow allotment.

Personally I think what you are trying to to do with that number of chapters is unrealistic. Try what sknis has suggested using the "DVD Projector" option.

Hi All,

I use Roxio 2010 and am trying to create my first DVD photo/movie disc. I have used Roxio for many years but I never created a DVD before and I need some help.

I have 356 jpg photos that I used to create a slideshow. I then used this slideshow in MyDVD to create chapters when I ran into the 99 chapter limit. The reason I want to create chapters is so that I can press the 'Next' or 'Previous' button and not have to wait for the time delay to change photos. I used 10 second delay for all photos but sometime I want to change photos faster than 10 seconds. To get around this problem I think I can breakup the 356 photos into 4 groups (titles) which will be sure to be under the 99 chapter limit for each title.

My question is: Will the 'Next' or 'Previous' button still work to change photos even with a Title in the middle of chapters? Example: chapter1 chapter2 chapter3 title2 chapter1 - so each time I press 'Next' it will follow the order I have given in my example?

Also, how do I make the last photo go back to the main title when the slideshow is at the end. Currently, once I reach the end of the slideshow the disc stops playing instead of going back to the main title.

Thanks for any help or ideas,

Charles

What did you use to create the slideshow, I hope it was Videowave?

I don't understand what you hope to achieve by putting a title in the middle of chapters but it can't be done anyway.

Titles can only appear on the main menu page. You then select one of the Titles and create chapters for that title.

To do what you want you will have to create 4 slideshows, each slideshow will have 89 pictures. Each slideshow is added in myDVD and becomes a title on the main menu page. You can then create chapters for each of the slideshows (Titles)

I suggest that you start off with a small project, 4 slideshows with only a few pictures in each slideshow for which you can then create chapters.

Do you want to have the chapter menus visible?

Actually there is NO LIMIT to the number of pictures in a DVD Movie...

Players have a 99 picture limit if you are putting actual picture files in Root directory.

But when you make a DVD Movie, there are no 'pictues'! They, along with any transitions, are turned into a movie clip.

If you create your project in VideoWave or even MyDVD (not recommended) you will never see this restriction. ;)

What did you use to create the slideshow, I hope it was Videowave?

I don't understand what you hope to achieve by putting a title in the middle of chapters but it can't be done anyway.

Titles can only appear on the main menu page. You then select one of the Titles and create chapters for that title.

To do what you want you will have to create 4 slideshows, each slideshow will have 89 pictures. Each slideshow is added in myDVD and becomes a title on the main menu page. You can then create chapters for each of the slideshows (Titles)

I suggest that you start off with a small project, 4 slideshows with only a few pictures in each slideshow for which you can then create chapters.

Do you want to have the chapter menus visible?

Hi Digital Guru,

What I want is basically what you have said. I may have explained badly. I want 4 titles on the main menu, each to jump to a certain starting point and play from there on. If I understand correctly I am allowed up to 99 titles and 99 chapters in each title. This would allow me to avoid the 99 chapter limit I have run into. After the titles and chapters are done the DVD 'Next' and 'Previous' should work as I have described before. I thought I could do this using 1 big slide show.

According to your post I need to break up the actual big slide show into 4 smaller slide shows. I thought I only had to insert 4 titles and point them to the actual starting place I want, in the big slide show. I guess my thinking is wrong?

I used SlideShow to create the slide show, I then used VideoWave to insert the markers and then I used MyDVD to convert the markers into chapters. I wanted to use DVD-RW discs while I was testing but I found that MyDVD does not close the disc and therefore is not playable in any of my DVDs. I have yet to figure out how to close a RW disc but I am still looking.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

Actually there is NO LIMIT to the number of pictures in a DVD Movie...

Players have a 99 picture limit if you are putting actual picture files in Root directory.

But when you make a DVD Movie, there are no 'pictues'! They, along with any transitions, are turned into a movie clip.

If you create your project in VideoWave or even MyDVD (not recommended) you will never see this restriction. ;)

Charles is not talking about any picture limit. He wants to turn each picture into a separate chapter. That is where he runs up against the 99 chapter limit.

Hi Digital Guru,

What I want is basically what you have said. I may have explained badly. I want 4 titles on the main menu, each to jump to a certain starting point and play from there on. If I understand correctly I am allowed up to 99 titles and 99 chapters in each title. This would allow me to avoid the 99 chapter limit I have run into. After the titles and chapters are done the DVD 'Next' and 'Previous' should work as I have described before. I thought I could do this using 1 big slide show.

According to your post I need to break up the actual big slide show into 4 smaller slide shows. I thought I only had to insert 4 titles and point them to the actual starting place I want, in the big slide show. I guess my thinking is wrong?

I used SlideShow to create the slide show, I then used VideoWave to insert the markers and then I used MyDVD to convert the markers into chapters. I wanted to use DVD-RW discs while I was testing but I found that MyDVD does not close the disc and therefore is not playable in any of my DVDs. I have yet to figure out how to close a RW disc but I am still looking.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

I have no problem playing "open" DVD-RWs on my DVD players. Have you even tried? If they don't work on your players, get some DVD+RWs.

You cannot add a single movie and then create 4 titles from that single movie. 1 movie = 1 Title.

I have no problem playing "open" DVD-RWs on my DVD players. Have you even tried? If they don't work on your players, get some DVD+RWs.

You cannot add a single movie and then create 4 titles from that single movie. 1 movie = 1 Title.

Hi myguggi,

Ok, I will create 4 slideshows in order to do what I want. As for the DVD+RW, yes I did try it on my 2 home DVD players and I am using DVD+RW discs. 1 DVD player will not play the open +RW disc at all and the 2nd player does play but the picture on screen shows chucks of the pictures missing. I guess you would call it pixelazation (spelling?) but the end result is a DVD that is not worth trying to watch. Both these DVD players are old and that might be some of the problem. I do have a new JVC DVD player/writer but I did not try the disc on it.

Thank you for your time and help,

Charles

Hi myguggi,

Ok, I will create 4 slideshows in order to do what I want. As for the DVD+RW, yes I did try it on my 2 home DVD players and I am using DVD+RW discs. 1 DVD player will not play the open +RW disc at all and the 2nd player does play but the picture on screen shows chucks of the pictures missing. I guess you would call it pixelazation (spelling?) but the end result is a DVD that is not worth trying to watch. Both these DVD players are old and that might be some of the problem. I do have a new JVC DVD player/writer but I did not try the disc on it.

Thank you for your time and help,

Charles

How long in time were the videos on the DVDs you burned?

Archived