• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

There was a problem writing the file to disk

zlh67

Question

I am now experiencing this same problem in both Easy CD DVD Creator (red box, Vista compatible) AND RecordNow 9 Music Lab. I have both because I was so disappointed with the changes to the crossfade functionality a few years back that after upgrading to Easy CD/DVD and not liking it, I bought Record Now hoping it would be different, more advanced (it's not).

Anyway, I have used Easy CD DVD for a couple of years now with no real problems, but yesterday, while on the "Audio" menu and using the "Convert CD's" function to rip a cd to mp3 (as I've done thousands of times before), I got the "There was a problem writing the file to disk" error. There is nothing more specific than that. I've tried a reinstall on Easy CD DVD. No dice. I tried uninstalling that and going with the RecordNow 9 Music lab package instead and I get the same thing. I've tried writing the files to my C-drive, to an external hard drive and to a usb thumb-drive and all generate the same error.

Can anyone offer any guidance here?

11 answers to this question

Hi Brendon,

Sorry; crazy busy at the job and my wife has an injured back, so I'm pulling double duty helping out more around the house and with our 3yr old. I did get some time over the weekend and yesterday though and it hit me that the last thing I'd done to both my desktop and laptop was to install uTorrent for downloading some music back in Dec. No problems whatsoever for a month+, but first the desktop gave me Roxio errors as described above and then a week later the laptop as well. As mentioned, re-installs did not help and that's when I swapped over to the Record 9 program on the desktop. When that didn't work either, I was stumped.

After realizing it might be the uTorrent conflicting, I uninstalled that from my laptop and was prepared to do a full o/s reinstall and then reinstall the Roxio, but to my amazement, simply un-installing uTorrent got the Roxio working again.

I did the same on my desktop, but unfortunately simply removing uTorrent did not work there. So I had to go to a restore point from prior to the uTorrent installation. That wasn't quite "clean" and I got some error messages regarding the installation of Roxio, so I had to do a reinstall of the Roxio there (and since i was doing a reinstall, i went ahead and went back to my preferred program, which is the Easy CD & DVD Burning). When I finished getting to my restore point and a clean installation of that program, it worked.

"Now, why the error after a few days? I suspect that something is clashing between the Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning program and the Sonic RecordNow! one. I would suggest that you remove them both as completely as possible and then install only one of them."

FYI, I only had one or the other on at any given time. When I couldn't solve the problem with Easy CD & DVD Burning, I uninstalled it and put on Record Now. When that didn't fix it and I ended up going to the restore point, I got some errors so just fully uninstalled Record Now and re-installed Easy CD & DVD Burning and that one is currently working. At no point did I have both on either system though.

So... not sure why uTorrent would cause a problem, but that sure seems to have been the culprit. I'll check back here in a couple of days to see if you have any followup questions or if there's anything I can provide to help further diagnose this in case it helps others, but as of now anyway, I am back in business.

Thanks,

Zack

Hi Zack,

Thanks for your efforts under battlefield conditions [ :) ] Hope your wife recovers soon, too.

It's strange that µTorrent should interfere, as it seems a small and unobtrusive [but very capable] program, however if its removal cures the problem then who are we to argue? I'll tinker with it in case I can turn something up, but in the meantime I'll keep that in mind if similar cases pop up.

Thanks again,

Brendon

Anyway, I have used Easy CD DVD for a couple of years now with no real problems, but yesterday, while on the "Audio" menu and using the "Convert CD's" function to rip a cd to mp3 (as I've done thousands of times before), I got the "There was a problem writing the file to disk" error. There is nothing more specific than that. I've tried a reinstall on Easy CD DVD. No dice. I tried uninstalling that and going with the RecordNow 9 Music lab package instead and I get the same thing. I've tried writing the files to my C-drive, to an external hard drive and to a usb thumb-drive and all generate the same error.

Since the program was working well for thousands of times, it's obvious something broke. If a reinstall didn't fix it and similar software gives the same error, I suspect something - a file or a setting - has broken in Windows.

What's the version number of your Easy CD and DVD burning? I may be able to unearth the same version [i don't have RN Music Lab 9]. Run it and check Help > About this software.

Are you running it in XP?

What service pack level?

Any significant updates between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't?

Hello, and thanks. Yes, I would say something broke. Not sure what...

What's the version number of your Easy CD and DVD burning? I may be able to unearth the same version [i don't have RN Music Lab 9]. Run it and check Help > About this software.

** I am running v6.2.1.130 (pn 217600CS).

Are you running it in XP?

What service pack level?

*** Yes, XP. SP3

Any significant updates between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't?

*** No, I did not perform any system updates.

Thanks, Brendon. I'm actually able to burn, but I can't rip to Mp3. I have another program I can do that in, but it doesn't support FLAC, and I had literally just started the process of backing up a lot of rare music i have on cd-r to FLAC, which can now no longer do. :-(

I'll wait to hear back from you...

Hi Brandon,

To clarify, I'm not ripping to mp3 and then to FLAC. I'm ripping cd's to MP3 for listening, and then in some cases, also ripping the same cd to FLAC for backup purposes. Whichever format I'm ripping to though, the source is always a cd or cd-r. I am not converting mp3 to FLAC.

"What MP3 codec are you using with your Redbox 6 and RecordNow 9? Does your other program which can rip to MP3s use a different codec?"

Sorry, i'm not overly familiar with codecs, so I'm not sure how to tell which codec I'm using. Can you advise? I just installed both of these programs out of the box and began using...

Fyi, the "other" program I was using is CDex which someone else had suggested to another user as a way to test if ripping was at all possible on a machine, so I downloaded and tried it (and it worked). I'm not really actively using it though because as far as I can tell, it doesn't support FLAC and it also doesn't download song/artist/album titles (I rip far too much music to name all the files manually....).

Ok, this is interesting. I installed my Roxio Easy CD DVD Creator on my laptop, which I don't generally use for music, and it worked fine for a day or two and not I'm getting a similar -- but not identical -- error: "Easy CD and DVD Burning cannot save tracks at your selected location. Please select another location."

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/57913-can-not-rip-audio-from-cd/

** I am running v6.2.1.130 (pn 217600CS).

Hmmm, that's awkward. I've never actually had the Redbox v6 software - the closest I have is the full version 6.2.0.134 Easy CD and DVD Creator, and if your V6 was for Vista it must have been modified for that OS at the time it was castrated to fit in the red box. Who knows what the differences are!! :(

Look, short of getting you to send me a copy of your software to poke a stick at, I'll install my old 6.2.0.134 here and see what I can find in there. This could take some time, so give me 2-3 days if nobody comes up with an answer for you in the meantime.

Regards,

Brendon

I'm still working on this, clearing a drive to install 6.2.0.134 at the moment but that's taking time.

In the meantime, why are you wanting to rip to MP3, loosing audio information in the process, and then converting to the lossless FLAC format? It seems a bit pointless.

What are you converting the MP3s to FLAC with, and will that program handle WAV files?

MP3 is a very lossy format, and I would have thought you'd be much better off ripping to FLAC directly, or ripping to WAV and then converting to FLAC if you couldn't do the direct conversion.

Back on the original problem, what MP3 codec are you using with your Redbox 6 and RecordNow 9? Does your other program which can rip to MP3s use a different codec?

Brendon

Okay,

Still waiting for your answers to the questions in my previous post, but in the meantime I seem to have narrowed it down somewhat.

I installed my Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 under XP-SP3, and searched the system for the strings "cannot save tracks at your selected location" and "please select another location"; in both text and unicode. They weren't in either Windows XP or on the full version of Easy CD and DVD Creator. That rules out your version 6 of Easy CD and DVD Burning, as it's a cut-down version of my full suite.

I found it in RecordNow! v7, so it's very likely that your RN 9 Music Lab has the file in question. In V7 it was in Unicode in a file called mainrENU.dll, living at C:\program files\sonic\recordnow deluxe suite\recordnow! deluxe\ and there were a couple of different files with the same name elsewhere - you could search your system for a file of that name if you want, but I would bet that text error comes from a RecordNow file.

Now, why the error after a few days? I suspect that something is clashing between the Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning program and the Sonic RecordNow! one. I would suggest that you remove them both as completely as possible and then install only one of them.

Please let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Brendon

That is interesting. What sort of firewall and/or registry cleaner are you using?

I've got V6 installed under XP now. Sorry about the delay.

How are you ripping tracks to MP3? Audio Central > tick the track box > Copy CD tracks to Library ??

Or some other method??

To find out in XP what audio codecs you have, run Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > right-click on Audio Codecs select Properties, and then click the Properties tab. You should get a display something like this.

post-208-098563100 1296777964.jpg

I don't know that the codec information is so important now, given your latest discovery, but that's how you find out what audio codecs you have.

Brendon

Archived