• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ragtop

Chapters And Menus

Question

I am creating a production using a single avi file that i have edited into multiple chapters (29). Within MyDVD the chapters (and the names i have given them) show up under the main Production heiarchy as well as within the separate menus (6 chapters per menu) and although i am able to view/sequence through them (using the Next button on the DVD controller) when i Preview the final product the actual Chapter Menus do not show up. Idealy when i burn the final dvd and insert it into my player what i want is for the viewer to have an option of playing the entire production (this works) or individual chapters (this doesn't work) by selecting that chapter from the chapter menu(s) (which don't appear). Additionally, when i double click on any of the chapter icons (thumbnails within MyDVD Chapter Menus), instead of taking me to that specific chapter it takes me to the beginning of the production. I've read through the other help topics and although some come close none reflect this exact issue.

Roxio Creator 2011 Pro

Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)

Dell Inspiron 1750

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.1GHz

4GB RAM

64-Bit Operating System

I am creating a production using a single avi file that i have edited into multiple chapters (29). Within MyDVD the chapters (and the names i have given them) show up under the main Production heiarchy as well as within the separate menus (6 chapters per menu) and although i am able to view/sequence through them (using the Next button on the DVD controller) when i Preview the final product the actual Chapter Menus do not show up. Idealy when i burn the final dvd and insert it into my player what i want is for the viewer to have an option of playing the entire production (this works) or individual chapters (this doesn't work) by selecting that chapter from the chapter menu(s) (which don't appear). Additionally, when i double click on any of the chapter icons (thumbnails within MyDVD Chapter Menus), instead of taking me to that specific chapter it takes me to the beginning of the production. I've read through the other help topics and although some come close none reflect this exact issue.

Roxio Creator 2011 Pro

Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)

Dell Inspiron 1750

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.1GHz

4GB RAM

64-Bit Operating System

I find your description of what you are doing unclear and contradictory.

At one point your state "i am able to view/sequence through them" (where is that) and later you state "when i Preview the final product the actual Chapter Menus do not show up".

What do you mean by "i have edited into multiple chapters (29)"? All you can do in Videowave is create chapter markers which you then manually convert to chapters in myDVD (this has to be done for each chapter marker). You also have to have the checkbox selected to turn those chapters into menu items for the chapter menus.

Hey Walt...i was worried my description would be confusing. Within the MyDVD application where i am creating the menus there is a PREVIEW button. When i click on that the production launches taking me to my Intro Movie which includes a button (link) to proceed to the main video - which is comprised of the 29 chapter. The movie starts with what i know as Chapter 1 and if i do nothing it would play through all 29 chapters one after the other. Or, using the DVD controller WITHIN PREVIEW i can sequence through the indivual chapters by hitting the next button >>....but since no additional menu appears i can not bypass any of the chapters and go to a specific chapter...say chapter 11.

When i say i have edited into multiple chapters (29) now we're probably getting into me no using incorrect terminology. Within Videowave i created the chapter markers (along with other edits (transitions, text overlays, etc) but what i haven't done is what you say "manually convert to chapters in myDVD...for each chapter marker. How do i do that?

Where do i select the "checkbox" to turn those chapters into menu items for the chapter menus.

Manually converting and selecting the checkboxes appears to be the steps i am missing.

Appreciate your help.

I find your description of what you are doing unclear and contradictory.

At one point your state "i am able to view/sequence through them" (where is that) and later you state "when i Preview the final product the actual Chapter Menus do not show up".

What do you mean by "i have edited into multiple chapters (29)"? All you can do in Videowave is create chapter markers which you then manually convert to chapters in myDVD (this has to be done for each chapter marker). You also have to have the checkbox selected to turn those chapters into menu items for the chapter menus.

More on this...

Within myDVD under Project View (Left lower panel) when i select one any of the chapters, the Chapter Menu that that chapter is in appears in the center panel with a red box around the chapter i chose. Additionally, in the Right panel the settings (TRANSITION, LINK, and HIGHLIGHT) for that chapter appear. I believe my issues (lack of understanding) is related to the LINK settings ("Go To", "Play From" and "After Playing". What should they be and do these control the availability of Chapter Menus in the final production?

How LONG is the total movie?

What QUALTIY setting are you using?

There is a known issue with any setting below HQ. The workaround is Here

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Jim...just to make sure my issue didn't stem from anything to do with the HQ setting or duration of the movie i followed the steps in the link you provided and the result is the same. It's probably simply, but I'm not doing something right that would allow me to see the individual chapter menus in either the PREVIEW or in the final production.

Frustrated...

BTW...the link stated to repeat those steps for each movie. As i stated (maybe unclearly) in my orig post, i only have ONE movie...but one that i thought i had broken up into 29 chapters.

BTW...the link stated to repeat those steps for each movie. As i stated (maybe unclearly) in my orig post, i only have ONE movie...but one that i thought i had broken up into 29 chapters.

You have not created the chapter menu.

Once you have your Videowave project file in myDVD, select the production, then "edit Movie" and switch to the Timeline. You should now see the chapter markers that you created in Videowave on the timeline. Right click on the chapter marker and you should get a drop-down menu with options on what to do with the markers. You will have to convert each chapter marker one at a time. Once you are finished converting, click on "Back to Menu", then select the production and then click Edit Chapters. You will now have the Edit Chapters window showing the Chapters you created.

Hey Walt...i got really excited when i first read your last post...however it was shortlived. Doing what you told me to do...

Selected the Production

Selected Edit Movie (which switched me to the Timeline)

Should see the Chapter Markers i created in Videowave (i did)

Right click on the Chapter Markers which prompted a pull down menu (it did)

Here's where it goes wrong...

There's only two available options in the pull down menu(Delete Marker or Delete All Markers). The other options (including convert to Chapter Marker)are not available to me.

So what now? Tks in advance

Hey Walt...i got really excited when i first read your last post...however it was shortlived. Doing what you told me to do...

Selected the Production

Selected Edit Movie (which switched me to the Timeline)

Should see the Chapter Markers i created in Videowave (i did)

Right click on the Chapter Markers which prompted a pull down menu (it did)

Here's where it goes wrong...

There's only two available options in the pull down menu(Delete Marker or Delete All Markers). The other options (including convert to Chapter Marker)are not available to me.

So what now? Tks in advance

I have no idea why the "Convert Chapter Markers" is not available for you.

Could you list your program version number and build. Look under File/Help/About when on the C2011 home page?

Ok...so if i bypass the above steps and continue to the rest of the steps you mentioned...

- "Back to Menu" ... presume this was supposed to be "Back to MyDVD"

- Select the Production (i did)

- Click Edit Chapters (i did)

- You will now have the Edit Chapters Window showing the Chapters you created (it does).

With that said, it always did (maybe part of my unclear orig description). The chapters (all 29 of them) do show up here (in the Edit Chapter Menu) with their individual time stamps. So i know the Chapters were created. I then click OK and i'm returned back to the MyDVD menu where i can see the Prodution and Chapter Menu heiarchy on the left side. As before, when i click on any one of the Chapter Menus (under Project View), the actual Chapter Menu appears in the middle with the 6 of 29 chapter icons/thumbnails present. My problem is when i go to PREVIEW and/or burn the DVD and watch the final product...the Chapter Menus do NOT appear.

What am i doing wrong?

One follow up note...if i right click on a marker OTHER than a Chapter Marker, the option to Convert Chapter Marker IS available...but it simply creates (in my case) the 30th chapter...

One follow up note...if i right click on a marker OTHER than a Chapter Marker, the option to Convert Chapter Marker IS available...but it simply creates (in my case) the 30th chapter...

I have no idea to what " marker OTHER than a Chapter Marker" you are referring to.

When you are in the "Edit Chapters" window do you see a checkbox for "Convert Chapter markers to Chapter Menu" (or something similar, I am not on a computer running C2011)? If not then you are in the wrong window. Cancel the Edit Chapter window and then select the Menus tab, select the movie and then select Edit Chapter. Do you now see the "Convert chapter ..." checkbox?

I am assuming that we are talking about the main production movie and not the Intro movie.

Sometimes a pix is worth a thousand words...so let's try this. I created a ppt slide with snapshots of what i am talking about.

With 2011Pro you can mark various points in the timeline with a "Marker" for quick access later on...i simply use them to jump from section to section during reviews...they serve no other purpose. I've done that in my project...in addition to the Chapter Markers which i believe do serve a purpose in the final production. These (Regular Markers and Chapter Markers) are displayed in the top right of the slide.

What i think are Chapters are displayed on the left side of the slide...a snapshot of the Edit Chapter Menu.

Additionally, to show what i think are Chapter Menus, i snapped the the Chapter Menu window from within MyDVD reflecting 6 of the 29 chapters (including the same 2 chapters portrayed in the other two snapshots).

As for whether or not when i am in the correct Edit Chapter window - and do i see a checkbox for "Convert Chapter Markers to Chapter Menu"?, the answer is yes...if it's called "Update Chapter Menu(s)...also see lower left circled area of the slide.

And yes, we are talking about the main production not the Intro movie.

I am sure i am missing something simple...but what is it?

Chapter Issue.ppt

Open your production

In the lower left pane you should have two Tabs: Menu and Movie

Select MENU

You should see the button name in the list that appears on the menu

RIGHT click on it and select Edit Chapters.

Do your markers show here? If yes, make sure there is an 'X' at the bottom to create chapter submenu.

Click OK

That should do it.

Edited by ggrussell

Hey Gary/Walt/Jim...tks for your help...but i am starting to think i have a problem with the software since it appears i am doing everything right and what should be there isn't.

Gary......Please see slide #2 for snapshots of what i did...unless i misinterpreted your guidance...i'm still without chapter menus in my final production (preview and burned dvd).

TKs for y'alls patience...time to reload the software....

Chapter Issue.ppt

Sorry, I can view ppt files. Not everyone has MS office.

If you click on the Movie Tab, you will NOT see the check mark to create a submenu.

post-49-003935100 1296314347.jpg

post-49-050096500 1296314353.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

Sorry about the ppt...hopefully the jpg i attached works...

With my program i see everything you do (re your screenshots) except the "Generate Chapter Menu(s)and link to selected button". Instead of that i see..."Update Chapter Menu". So, that appears to be my problem...

post-91902-016159000 1296316152.jpg

Sorry, I can view ppt files. Not everyone has MS office.

If you click on the Movie Tab, you will NOT see the check mark to create a submenu.

Gary, this is what ragtop's attachment shows.

post-103-008226500 1296316292.jpg

Sorry about the ppt...hopefully the jpg i attached works...

With my program i see everything you do (re your screenshots) except the "Generate Chapter Menu(s)and link to selected button". Instead of that i see..."Update Chapter Menu". So, that appears to be my problem...

You get "Update ..." checkbox if you have previously created the Chapter menu.

Did you use that "generate Chapter Menu ... " check box to initially create the chapter menu? If not then how did you create your chapter menu?

Could you show a screenshot of the menu tree that is in the lower left panel (Project view window, like Gary has in his picture)?

BTW, your 2 pPPT attachments were identical? Were they supposed to be?

Edited by myguggi

Thanks for the assist Walt. Re the same ppt...the 2nd one i posted has 2 slides.

I'm not sure how i generated the original chapter menu...but i don't remember ever seeing the "generate chapter menu(s)..." option before...

Screenshot of the menu tree is on slide one...also attached here as a jpg...

post-91902-006549900 1296317294.jpg

hey guys...i just started over with a new test video project/production...and i see the "Generate Chapter Menu..." option within the Edit Chapter window now...so let me try again and see if this works all the way through the Preview button......

Tks for all the help, hopefully this issue is solved...:-)

It worked...all the way through Preview with the Chapter Menu showing up. THanks so much for your patience and help. Now, back to a new original all the way through.

Pat

Thanks for the assist Walt. Re the same ppt...the 2nd one i posted has 2 slides.

I'm not sure how i generated the original chapter menu...but i don't remember ever seeing the "generate chapter menu(s)..." option before...

Screenshot of the menu tree is on slide one...also attached here as a jpg...

Sorry I missed the 2nd slide in the ppt.

How come the menu tree in your last screen shot is different from the one in the 2nd slide?

I believe myDVD treats all markers as chapter markers and creates chapter points for each marker but only the markers with the small "c" though will be used for the chapter menu. I may be wrong there, I have not tested this.