• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Slide show Menu "instability"

grandpadon

Question

I created a slide show using Videowave to DVD builder to ISO to Disk Copieer to +RW DVD disk. 3 menus

I thot it was working Started distributing.

On my daughters player it kept going right from one title to next. I brought it home.

Here it sits there & switches 1&2 menus fairly frquently. It sometimes switches from 3 to 2. Plays OK when you catch it right. Menu 3 also displays the first slide of its last title intermittently.

Does the same thing after i spent all day burning it again.

Recent theory is that I somehow put more into the ISO file than Disk copy could squeeze on the disk. Waiting for that to burn!, but its getting late.

12 answers to this question

Don't put labels on DVDs!

I see you did some without them and still had trouble but most Players and devices caution against inserting media with a stick on label.

Can you find any Verbatim media around you? Never heard anyone complain about that brand.

As a test, what happens if you have the same number of Menus but hold down the number of slides so that the project will fit on a 4.7gb disc w/o extra rendering?

(thinking is that you are rendering at low quality, about 4mbps, to fit your disc size and players may have trouble working at that level instead of the normal 8 or 9mbps.)

I believe that by right clicking the missing files you can reset the link to their location.

If I were to proceed, do you rec +R or -R? What do I do about labels, which Ive been adding after burning?

Dash r (-R) is supposed to be more universally accepted by older video players but I bet that you will get a few people who can't play them. Just have them send you back the one that won't play and send them the other "R" format. There may also be some players that will not play ANY home burned format. I'm not sure what you do about that.

As for disc labels; I think the preferred is the following--- not the best in terms of appearance. That actually may be an inverse of the list. This is only my opinion.

1) DVD Permanent Makers hand written

2) Light scribe. The link is to some designed lables but you can burn you the image of your choice on the label. The link is just to give you some idea of how they look. (There is another type that has a blue background but I don't think that has made as many inroads as lightscribe) . Of course you need a Lightscribe enabled burner. I've seen then for as low as $35 (Samsung OEM) on line. Now may be a good time to pick up an inexpensive one and put it in an external USB case as a spare. Caution these take 30 minutes or more to burn on the special discs so If you have a lot to make it will take some time. Some think the image will fade over time but that should not affect the played side. The image is just shades of green-gold) There are five different colored base color disc available in Asia, anyone see them in the US?

3) Printed (Painted on labels) . Again some investment. Some printers (link to exampe) will actually print a multi-colored label on the top side of a white disc. They look good; almost professional. I haven't heard much good or bad about these. I saw refurbished printers that do this for under $50. As with most printers, the printer is cheap; the ink is expensive.

4) Glue on center core labels. These are thin rings with the disc information. Smaller, less chance for wobble.

5) Glue on full faced label.( Always use a label applicator.)

I would suspect the media or indirectly the burner. RW's are good for testing a project but they are the hardest to burn and play. Take the plunge and burn your ISO file to an R disc and see if it performs better.

If you used Disc Copier to burn the file, it will warn if there is too much data and will offer to re-render to fit the target media size.

I would suspect the media or indirectly the burner. RW's are good for testing a project but they are the hardest to burn and play. Take the plunge and burn your ISO file to an R disc and see if it performs better.

If you used Disc Copier to burn the file, it will warn if there is too much data and will offer to re-render to fit the target media size.

I dont think I have any Rs handy.

DVD Builder warned me , but Disc Copier didnt.

I reduced the size & still does the same thing.

I chose +RW because Im afraid I might have to reburn & because -RW didnt work in others players.

Head to Best Buy today, and buy some Verbatims, +R or -R discs.

I tried both + & - Rs, + from Office MAX, - from Best Buy and they did the same thing; alternating menus on the 1-2 of each I tried.

NOw whatll I do with all these disks: +RW. +R. _R. and prob some _rws laying around.

I dont think I have any Rs handy.

DVD Builder warned me , but Disc Copier didnt.

I reduced the size & still does the same thing.

I chose +RW because Im afraid I might have to reburn & because -RW didnt work in others players.

Head to Best Buy today, and buy some Verbatims, +R or -R discs.

How does that DVD play on your computer? You said it played properly on your daughter's DVD player, but not on your DVD player.

If it plays correctly on your computer using CinePlayer, Roxio Player or another DVD playing program like Cyberlink's PowerDVD, then it's your DVD player that's not reading the information correctly.

Re players, Ive had trouble with DVDs playing "OK" on my TV but hanging partway thru a title or at end of title on one or both of CinePlayer and Windows media.

Another nagging but livable problem is that the menu can sit there, and suddenly jump to the 1st slide in one of the titles (always the same one) for very short time & then return to menu without playing anything.

I got rid of the originaljumping between menus by packing the titles into one menu! But I still have almost 6GB in each ISO to compress onto th eDVD

Im sure getting exhausted

hankes to all for all the help.

Im still looking for definition/procedure of the diif forms of inputtin forum(quote,reply,update etc)

Guest mlpasley

How does that DVD play on your computer? You said it played properly on your daughter's DVD player, but not on your DVD player.

If it plays correctly on your computer using CinePlayer, Roxio Player or another DVD playing program like Cyberlink's PowerDVD, then it's your DVD player that's not reading the information correctly.

Just the opposite is going on. The latest version plays OK on my TV but hangs up consistently on my 2 computer DVD players. It happens at the 25th slide of the 6th title, or 325 slides total

My other current slideshow which displayed the hangup goes Ok now, wit 150 slides.

When it haaaaaangs, it not only suspends the slide show but hangs the whole competer and its difficult to extricate.!!

Does this mean I can or cant go ahead & let others play it on their TVs

Status of Stilleys slide show

See previous posts. I still dont know how to officially submit an update, so Im replying to Hardin

Tried all of above, plus a few we thot of & one accidental new show.

Disks(Disk1 of my 25yr family slideshow) in Q have 17 titles, in 3 menus, processed by Videowave & DVD Builder:yielding 7.682 GB compresssed to 4.7 by DVD Builder into an ISO file and burnt by Disk Copier in a Sony burneer onto DVD+RW disks from TDK Or Sony. The disks were labelled using Avery CD/DVD paper labels. Since then theyve changed to separate vinyl labels for DVD. I redid the ISO file once to reduce the size , but otherwise the discs were burned from original ISO .

Playeers used: My settop is a Panasonic 5disk changer. 2 otherss used by kids are off-brand, with one a DVD/VHS combo.Not sure about the one in DesMoines

As mentioned, my burner and primary computer player is a Sony 810A purchased this spring.

Since my burnering it passed Sonys dik check program( just yesterday), but I had to update firmwear first.

Alternate player is ?? ROM that came with my Dell computer.

*3-4 settops out of 4-5 (one son has 2) didnt play right

The DVD/VHS went from one title to next with returning to menu. The very same disk and 2-3 others on my or other kids settops had the Menu Instability of my original posst. It sits there in Menu 1 and after a while it jumps to Menu 2

* +R,--R Verbatim disks unlabelled, same menu jump

*Used 3 computer players;Cineplayer,windows media, roxio player; same menu jump

Had problems geting Cine operational

* Added 1GB RAM to prev 1GB; same menu jump

**Took a break to show off photos from an Airshow. The bottom fell out again.

2 titles, 1.1 GB

Played ok on my TV

Hung about halfway thru on the computer players (thats one reason I added memory) (before & after memory addn)

** Since meemory addn I decided to go back & redo the ISO. The bottom fell out again.

"ALL" my DVD productions? have "missing files"

I found some but ran out of time to figure out how to retrieve them. Havent had that in a year or two

So where can I go from hear. I have people primed to get my grat slideshow?

Im back with good news, for a change

By skipping one title and using manual arrange instd of auto-arrange in DVD Builder I got "Disk 1" of my original slideshow into one menu instd of 3 between which it was jumping, and well below (6.3GB )the magic 7.3GB for Disk Copier to compress it onto the 4.7 DVDs.

I burnt it onto a +R Verbatim disk, and onto -R Verbatim disk.

Both disks performed normally on both the computers Cineplayer & Tthe vs Panasonic 5 disk changer. Does that mean Im ready to proceed with distribution? Waiting for son to try them on his players

If I were to proceed, do you rec +R or -R? What do I do about labels, which Ive been adding after burning?

By the way, my response to the good recommendations was delayed by a lot of "missing files" that really were missing completely from my system. I cropped & edited them in photosuitre to add labels of who people were. they somehow got saved on C drive instd of with the rest of the show on F, and then disappeared. Perhaps because we reinstalled windows. The uncropped originals aare missing the text I added to them.

Status of Stilleys slide show

See previous posts. I still dont know how to officially submit an update, so Im replying to Hardin

Tried all of above, plus a few we thot of & one accidental new show.

Disks(Disk1 of my 25yr family slideshow) in Q have 17 titles, in 3 menus, processed by Videowave & DVD Builder:yielding 7.682 GB compresssed to 4.7 by DVD Builder into an ISO file and burnt by Disk Copier in a Sony burneer onto DVD+RW disks from TDK Or Sony. The disks were labelled using Avery CD/DVD paper labels. Since then theyve changed to separate vinyl labels for DVD. I redid the ISO file once to reduce the size , but otherwise the discs were burned from original ISO .

Playeers used: My settop is a Panasonic 5disk changer. 2 otherss used by kids are off-brand, with one a DVD/VHS combo.Not sure about the one in DesMoines

As mentioned, my burner and primary computer player is a Sony 810A purchased this spring.

Since my burnering it passed Sonys dik check program( just yesterday), but I had to update firmwear first.

Alternate player is ?? ROM that came with my Dell computer.

*3-4 settops out of 4-5 (one son has 2) didnt play right

The DVD/VHS went from one title to next with returning to menu. The very same disk and 2-3 others on my or other kids settops had the Menu Instability of my original posst. It sits there in Menu 1 and after a while it jumps to Menu 2

* +R,--R Verbatim disks unlabelled, same menu jump

*Used 3 computer players;Cineplayer,windows media, roxio player; same menu jump

Had problems geting Cine operational

* Added 1GB RAM to prev 1GB; same menu jump

**Took a break to show off photos from an Airshow. The bottom fell out again.

2 titles, 1.1 GB

Played ok on my TV

Hung about halfway thru on the computer players (thats one reason I added memory) (before & after memory addn)

** Since meemory addn I decided to go back & redo the ISO. The bottom fell out again.

"ALL" my DVD productions? have "missing files"

I found some but ran out of time to figure out how to retrieve them. Havent had that in a year or two

So where can I go from hear. I have people primed to get my grat slideshow?

Archived