• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave

outerbank

Question

Okay, here's the update on the problem that my old computer takes a very long time to open and save productions (.dmsm files) in VideoWave. As posted under C2011, Sales Questions, my Dell computer has been in the repair shop for the past week to determine why it takes so long to open and/or save .dmsm files. The service tech has checked the DMA settings. DMA is enabled. He has checked the HD and found it to be properly operating (it's not about to go bad). To reiterate, virtual memory is set at 1024, or equal to the 1GB of RAM that's installed on the Dell computer. The service tech has yet to determine what is causing VideoWave to take so long to open/save .dmsm production files. I'm beginning to suspect Norton Internet Security after visiting the following website: http://thepcspy.com/read/what_slows_windows_down/. This site shows tests of a number of programs that could be on a computer and their effect upon a computer's performance. Quite revealing.

The service tech indicated that he should have an answer by this coming Monday afternoon. Will advise.

"...the 1GB of RAM that's installed on the Dell computer..."

From System Requirements:

"...For video editing and conversion and DVD playback Intel Pentium 4 2GHz processor or AMD equivalent and 1GB RAM. Multi-core processor with at least 2GB RAM recommended...."

It will work on 1 GB - but as you found out, it will be SLOW

I beg to differ with you with some of your comments. If one looks at Roxio minimum specs for C2009, this computer was at least equal to some of the minimum requirements and exceeded it in others. Moreover, I recall one of the gurus indicating that this computer should do fine. That was made just after installing C2009 at the beginning of 2009. There was at least one individual who just recently remarked that my computer was the problem, although that remark was made prior to having it repaired and when it was taking so long to open and/or save VideoWave files. Additionally, my profile has been there for everyone to see. Lastly, it shouldn't be overlooked that the discussion initially centered on my asking if C2011 would function similarly on the new computer, and after describing how my old computer took one hour to open and/or save VideoWave files. This opened the dialog that opening and/or saving a VideoWave file should be in minutes.

Lastly, for those who feel they've wasted their time with my issue, I apologize. However, I did learn an awful lot about how the software should function, and that I should stick with Roxio. Finally, there is the outcome of at least my old computer is functioning much better than before. So again, I need to thank everyone for their help.

I did point out in post number 2 that you were at the very bare minimum for the suite to run - and that you were BELOW the recommended specifications for any video work

'minimum requirements' are a joke really - all they say is "well it will run - but it WILL be slow"

Roxio isn't alone in this - check a laptop running Vista or W7 that is at 'minimum spec' for MS and see how long that takes to even load up

To be somewhat more definitive, can you provide an estimate of how slow opening and saving a .dmsm file in VideoWave might be considering the 1GB of available RAM? In postings elsewhere after describing this problem, some responders indicated that opening and saving a file in VideoWave should take just a few minutes. Hopefully, they were made with the recognition that the computer has 1GB of RAM. In my case, slow means about one hour to open and/or save. This is for a VideoWave project consisting of about 340 digital images (including several color panels with text, plus text within a number of images); a slow dissolve transition from one image to the next and a music track in which the length of the slide show is fit to the length of the music track. The duration of the completed project (slide show) is about 38 minutes.

If the amount of RAM is the problem, then I need to advise the tech service person that is working on the computer so he doesn't continue to look for some other problem. The reason for pursuing an answer to this problem is that I just purchased a new more powerful computer and am considering upgrading to Creator 2011 using this computer. But before I do, I want to make sure that the same problem doesn't exist with this new computer. I've been looking at several other software programs. One describes a feature that is attractive. For example, when a change is made to a project this software makes the change without redoing the entire project such as how Roxio Creator does. However, I'm not anxious to go through another learning curve that certainly will be required with different video editing software. It was painful enough learning Creator 2009.

Thanks.

To be somewhat more definitive, can you provide an estimate of how slow opening and saving a .dmsm file in VideoWave might be considering the 1GB of available RAM? In postings elsewhere after describing this problem, some responders indicated that opening and saving a file in VideoWave should take just a few minutes. Hopefully, they were made with the recognition that the computer has 1GB of RAM. In my case, slow means about one hour to open and/or save. This is for a VideoWave project consisting of about 340 digital images (including several color panels with text, plus text within a number of images); a slow dissolve transition from one image to the next and a music track in which the length of the slide show is fit to the length of the music track. The duration of the completed project (slide show) is about 38 minutes.

If the amount of RAM is the problem, then I need to advise the tech service person that is working on the computer so he doesn't continue to look for some other problem. The reason for pursuing an answer to this problem is that I just purchased a new more powerful computer and am considering upgrading to Creator 2011 using this computer. But before I do, I want to make sure that the same problem doesn't exist with this new computer. I've been looking at several other software programs. One describes a feature that is attractive. For example, when a change is made to a project this software makes the change without redoing the entire project such as how Roxio Creator does. However, I'm not anxious to go through another learning curve that certainly will be required with different video editing software. It was painful enough learning Creator 2009.

Thanks.

Hey outer, I'm not sure where you get your information from. In all Creator and Easy Media Creator projects, if you save or resave the project, it should be less than or about one minute even with 1G memory. As we've told you in the past, all you are doing is saving a roadmap to the resources that you are using in that project. You are NOT saving the entire project; just making changes to the roadmap. If you do a lot of editing, just clear the proxy files and they will be rebuilt almost immediately.

I looked at the size of a couple of files dmsm files are typically a couple of hundred KB and the dat files are somewhat smaller. I can't see why creating or editing a 200kb file should take so long.

Have you ever tried "Soluto". It is primarily designed to speed up the boot time of your computer by making some programs/application/services not run at boot but run only when you need them to. It is the same as Windows msconfig and setting what starts at boot. This is a little easier to determine what is running and what can safely not run at boot.

Before you load your anti-virus, try downloading and trying something like "Vipre" anti-virus. It doesn't slow down my computer to any extent and that is what they advertise. You don't have two anti-virus running together now do you? What do you use for anti-malware?

If the repairman can't solve your issues, try my suggestions.

I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to when asking where I get my info from. Much of what I have learned about Creator 2009 has come from people on this forum. With all due respect, at times the responses are confusing and sometimes they seem counter-productive. What I am attempting to do is sort out why my old computer is taking so long to open/save .dmsm files in VideoWave. I don't want to have the same problem with the new computer and C2011. If I appear confused it's because of gi7omy's response that 1GB of RAM may be the cause of the slow open/save operation. This caught me off-guard because in previous posts, responders seemed to indicate that the open and save operations are relatively short, just for the reasons you described. And I accepted this as fact. However, gi7omy's comment introduced an entirely different factor, which had not been raised by others on the forum. No I have not used either Soluto or Vipre. Will mention this to the tech service guy.

Spent quite a bit of time browsing the forum specifically looking for anything related to VideoWave. Found the following:

Posting by Ryan; date of post 26 August 2009 @ 11:57 PM

Subject of post: Slide Show Too Slow

This person appears to have had a similar if not identical experience as myself.

Recommendation is made to go into Media Manager and turn off catalog; all the image, video and music files. Is this a possible source of the problem? Does having catalog turned on have an affect on opening and saving VideoWave files? Just discovered this post last night. Haven't been able to inform the tech service person because of a blinding snowstorm last night and this morning. Called his store but no answer. Had to remove a 4 foot high snowdrift from in front of the garage door and in front of the front door. The city has yet to plow the street. Can't go anywhere. he's most likely in a similar situation. The snow fall was 20" in our city.

My comment was more in the line of the bare minimum spec is just that - a bare minimum. It's similar to MS. I recall a laptop (brand new) with Vista installed and running on 'bare minimum' of RAM - it took 10 MINUTES after switch on before you could open an app on it.

Slowness in handling .dmsm files is another matter but it's possible the system resources are being stretched running the OS which would account for sluggish behaviour, especially if you are running Vista or Windows 7

Not running Vista or Win 7, but Win XP SP2 (see profile). Relayed the info about Soluto to the tech service guy. He is familiar with this utility. Says that he uses something else to get the same info. As to the possibility of Norton Internet Security interfering with open and/or save functions while in VideoWave, tech guy says that he has Norton pretty much disabled while performing these operations. Still slow. Checking on malware, but doesn't believe anything is on the computer.

Boy is this going to cost me, if and when he sorts out the problem.

I still am not sure what the tech guy did to VideoWave to shorten the times it takes to open and/or save as a .dmsm file in VideoWave. My guggi, you wrote that the time I described was still too long. Here's an update on the times. I've performed 6 time tests. The average time to open a project that is 2.22mb is 9 minutes. The time required to "save as" is 14 minutes. Still too long according to you, but much shorter than before the tech guy worked on the computer. One thing that he wasn't quite sure about was how the project file is saved. That is, does it create another file as it saves? He compares it to how Adobe saves files. He asked because he wondered if my hard drive should have more free space to do this. My hard drive currently has 7.3GB of free space. Right now VideoWave uses anywhere from 80+ percent to 100% of the CPU when opening the .dmsm file. The only other activity running concurrently was Media MgrDB11. He believes this usage is too high. Or, is it just related to the 1.8GHz Pentium 4 CPU?

While browsing the Roxio support forum there was a post regarding going into Media Mgr to turn off catalog all images, video and music files. This was the recommendation to someone experiencing a similar "slow VideoWave". First, will this make a difference? Second, if so, how does one do this?

Have you installed XP -SP3? I'm even sure what improvements were made in that SP.

Trash Norton entirely ! Why didn't he remove it to begin with. What is "pretty much disabled"?

I hope you hold a little back until he gets it fixed to your satisfaction. I also hope he is a local and not one of the "Crew" type repair services. One charged a friend of mine almost $300 to remove a virus and he didn't. He forgot to clear the restore files so it kept coming back ! :rolleyes:

I have another question as it relates to why VideoWave on my computer takes so long to open and/or save a .dmsm file. According to the gurus, opening and/or saving a file should only require a few minutes because all VideoWave does is create a pathway to the source files that are used for the project. I hope this is the correct description of how VideoWave functions. Can the path taken to get to the source files influence how long open and/or save take? That is, I did not copy the images to a "Flow" folder as outlined by Jim Hardin in his informational piece "Video Workflow Strategy". Instead, the digital images remained in the folder into which they were downloaded to. This folder is under the My Pictures folder.

I have another question as it relates to why VideoWave on my computer takes so long to open and/or save a .dmsm file. According to the gurus, opening and/or saving a file should only require a few minutes because all VideoWave does is create a pathway to the source files that are used for the project. I hope this is the correct description of how VideoWave functions. Can the path taken to get to the source files influence how long open and/or save take? That is, I did not copy the images to a "Flow" folder as outlined by Jim Hardin in his informational piece "Video Workflow Strategy". Instead, the digital images remained in the folder into which they were downloaded to. This folder is under the My Pictures folder.

No, the path has no noticeable effect on the save or load time of the dmsm files.

A Videowave dmsm project file is just a text file containing the list and path of videos, photos and audio files used in your project. In addition it contains the instructions of making transitions, effects, etc. If you change the extension from dmsm to xml you can actually examine the file using Word, an XML editor or any text editor.

The tech service guy is local. In fact, he is a two person operation. Not sure I comprehend your sentence about improvements made in that SP. Were you trying to say that you don't know what improvements are in SP3, or something else? My understanding is that SP3 contains a roll-up of all the updates to when SP3 was released, plus what appears to be some ancillary functions. Since I was diligent in downloading and installing important updates from the time I bought the computer, and because of the apparent risks of updating to SP3, I decided not to do it. I do recognize that I forego receiving future security updates, other than Microsoft' malicious software update.

Moreover, I really don't understand how not updating to SP3, if that's what you are inferring, would impact the operation of VideoWave. After all, Creator 2009 existed long before SP3 became available, and C2009 was installed on my computer prior to the release of this update. As to Norton being pretty much disabled, that's my description. Removing Norton entirely is the next step. Although quite frankly, I don't hold much hope this will be the solution. I'm beginning to believe that the VideoWave program is damaged in some manner since all other functions within Creator 2009 operate without any problem. Nor are any other of the other programs installed on the computer negatively affected.

In any event, thanks to all for the suggestions. If the problem isn't resolved by today I'm pulling the plug on continuing to pursue a solution.

If you decide to get Creator 2011...for new computer

Roxio has a 30-day money back guarantee* for products purchased directly from Roxio through our online store or over the telephone with our Inside Sales department. Shipping charges will not be refunded.

Moreover, I really don't understand how not updating to SP3, if that's what you are inferring, would impact the operation of VideoWave. After all, Creator 2009 existed long before SP3 became available, and C2009 was installed on my computer prior to the release of this update.

Wrong. SP3, for XP, was released in April, or May, of 2008. Creator 2009 was not released until late August, or early September, of 2008.

If you can tolerate my questions for a little while longer, here's what I've noted. I've been using taskmgr to monitor CPU usage while opening and using save as in VideoWave. On average VideoWave takes about 8 minutes to open a project file, and requires about 13 minutes to save as. During this period the following programs are active in taskmgr:

VideoWave, RoxMediaDB and VCGProxy File Manager. The CPU usage varies from about 20 to 97% in combination with RoxMedia and VCGproxy. The last two items vary from 14 to 50% or thereabouts, while the usage for VideoWave varies commensurately with these two. Periodically, explorer.exe is active by a small %. Don't know why. ssvcHost is also active periodically. I have no idea if this is normal. Deleting the proxy files before opening the project file .dmsm does not appear to have a material effect on how long it takes to open the project file. Although, VCGproxy is more active when the proxy file is deleted before opening the project. Most likely recreating the proxy files.

After the project is open and nothing is being done within the project file, VCGproxy CPU usage continues. Varying from 00 to 97%. Is this normal and expected?

Opened Media Mgr. Then opened Tools. Clicked on "Select Monitored Folder Settings". The folders Music, Pictures and Video are shown. Does monitoring these folders have any impact on how long it takes to either open or save a .dmsm file? I came upon a forum post that refers to "slow VideoWave". Within this posting is a reference to turning off media mgr monitoring.

Thanks for your patience and input.

Got my computer back today. VideoWave is fixed. Opened a previously created project. The project opened after only 3 minutes. Whereas previously, it took about 1 hour to open. According to the tech there was a bug within the VideoWave program. He explained what was wrong, but quite honestly what he described was beyond my comprehension. I'll try to question him again about the problem. He was quite busy today.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the computer, its hardware, settings nor anything else. Nor was it related to not upgrading to Microsoft SP3, which my computer still does not have. He's unwilling to perform the upgrade. Norton Internet Security was also not the culprit. There was no malware found.

Thanks to all that tried to help. It was appreciated very much.

Got my computer back today. VideoWave is fixed. Opened a previously created project. The project opened after only 3 minutes. Whereas previously, it took about 1 hour to open. According to the tech there was a bug within the VideoWave program. He explained what was wrong, but quite honestly what he described was beyond my comprehension. I'll try to question him again about the problem. He was quite busy today.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the computer, its hardware, settings nor anything else. Nor was it related to not upgrading to Microsoft SP3, which my computer still does not have. He's unwilling to perform the upgrade. Norton Internet Security was also not the culprit. There was no malware found.

Thanks to all that tried to help. It was appreciated very much.

THree minutes is still along time for a project to open.

I doubt very much that a bug in Videowave was the cause of the problem. If there was one, everybody else would have had that problem. Try to find out what he thinks the "bug" was and what he did to solve the problem.

If you can tolerate my questions for a little while longer, here's what I've noted. I've been using taskmgr to monitor CPU usage while opening and using save as in VideoWave. On average VideoWave takes about 8 minutes to open a project file, and requires about 13 minutes to save as. During this period the following programs are active in taskmgr:

VideoWave, RoxMediaDB and VCGProxy File Manager. The CPU usage varies from about 20 to 97% in combination with RoxMedia and VCGproxy. The last two items vary from 14 to 50% or thereabouts, while the usage for VideoWave varies commensurately with these two. Periodically, explorer.exe is active by a small %. Don't know why. ssvcHost is also active periodically. I have no idea if this is normal. Deleting the proxy files before opening the project file .dmsm does not appear to have a material effect on how long it takes to open the project file. Although, VCGproxy is more active when the proxy file is deleted before opening the project. Most likely recreating the proxy files.

After the project is open and nothing is being done within the project file, VCGproxy CPU usage continues. Varying from 00 to 97%. Is this normal and expected?

Opened Media Mgr. Then opened Tools. Clicked on "Select Monitored Folder Settings". The folders Music, Pictures and Video are shown. Does monitoring these folders have any impact on how long it takes to either open or save a .dmsm file? I came upon a forum post that refers to "slow VideoWave". Within this posting is a reference to turning off media mgr monitoring.

Thanks for your patience and input.

Which computer are you using when this is happening? I don't want to go back through your countless posts to look. If it is the boat anchor, in your signature, then I can see why there is a problem.

It is the boat anchor (Dell) using your adjective. Even though it isn't as fast as what many indicate it ought to be, its much better than it was (9 to 14 minutes versus 1 plus hours) after the tech guy sorted out the problem. I did reach the conclusion that the limitations of the computer is at fault, not some other factor.

Now to install C2011 on the new computer. Sort of scary as I read through all the problems people have encountered after installing C2011. I do have a complaint with Roxio's 000080GN "Preparing your computer for installing Roxio products". Item 1 indicates that one should perform a Windows Update. It even provides a link. In my case, there are a few optional .NET Framework updates that have not been installed, one of which is .Net Framework 2.0. If I had not contacted Roxio Support by e-mail to ask about installing C2011, I would not have learned that .NET Framework 2.0 must be removed prior to installing C2011. It seems to me that these perparation instructions are flawed in that they should include information about removing .Net Framework 2.0 prior to installing C2011, or not to install .Net Framework 2.0 after proceeding to update. The same short-coming with their instructions occurred with reinstalling C2009. They left out the part about removing .Net Framework 3.5, which apparently caused a host of problems for a number of users trying to reinstall C2009. I was one of them. That's my two cents for what it is worth.

Thanks you granpabruce for your response.

Archived