• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

About To Dip Into Blu-Ray Burning -

blurijj

Question

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.6

I am able to copy Blu-ray movies (as well as other HD programming ( 1080p) ) with my EyeTVHD -

I now want to be able to burn 1:1 copies of the Eye-TV recording with a Blu-ray player ( which I haven't gotten yet ).

I read SY2002's post - and my question is a lot like his except I don't think he uses EyeTv.

But he is not getting 1:1 burn copies using Toast - Toast is encoding his files down to 720.

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to burn a h.264 HDvideo file onto a Bluray disk using Toast and getting

the same HD resolution that was on the original h.264 video file?

I am real wary of Toast. It's expensive and buggy ( I have Toast 9 ). I know I need to get Toast 10 to burn BluRay.

There are other programs like MacBluray Ripper Pro.

Has anyone had experiences with other blu-ray burning programs other than Toast ?

I am looking at the OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray external player - how good is it?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks very very much

Finally, for those of you that burn Blu-Ray - what is your failure rate?

I know Verbatim is the most highly recommended and one should burn them at a 2x or 4x speed.

Even so - how many of those bluray disks become coasters?

3 answers to this question

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.6

I am able to copy Blu-ray movies (as well as other HD programming ( 1080p) ) with my EyeTVHD -

I now want to be able to burn 1:1 copies of the Eye-TV recording with a Blu-ray player ( which I haven't gotten yet ).

I read SY2002's post - and my question is a lot like his except I don't think he uses EyeTv.

But he is not getting 1:1 burn copies using Toast - Toast is encoding his files down to 720.

Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to burn a h.264 HDvideo file onto a Bluray disk using Toast and getting

the same HD resolution that was on the original h.264 video file?

I am real wary of Toast. It's expensive and buggy ( I have Toast 9 ). I know I need to get Toast 10 to burn BluRay.

There are other programs like MacBluray Ripper Pro.

Has anyone had experiences with other blu-ray burning programs other than Toast ?

I am looking at the OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray external player - how good is it?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks very very much

Finally, for those of you that burn Blu-Ray - what is your failure rate?

I know Verbatim is the most highly recommended and one should burn them at a 2x or 4x speed.

Even so - how many of those bluray disks become coasters?

I've been able to get 1440 x 720 (Apple Intermediate Codec) with projects edited in iMovie 6.03 HD and authored and burned with Toast 10.0.8 ($19.99 Blu-ray plug-in required), which offers very basic authoring, but it's the only option I've found given that neither iDVD nor DVDStudioPro supports blu-ray. Encoding and multiplexing is a drag since it takes about 12 hours for about 90 minutes of video.

I've been satisfied with my burner. It's a Pioneer burner housed in a LaCie case (LaCie d2 Blu-Ray 12x USB 2.0 and FireWire Drive 301906U) Got it through Amazon for $399.00. Not cheap, but it is bundled with Toast 10.0.8 and some other software. The only coasters I got were my own fault.

I've been able to get 1440 x 720 (Apple Intermediate Codec) with projects edited in iMovie 6.03 HD and authored and burned with Toast 10.0.8 ($19.99 Blu-ray plug-in required), which offers very basic authoring, but it's the only option I've found given that neither iDVD nor DVDStudioPro supports blu-ray. Encoding and multiplexing is a drag since it takes about 12 hours for about 90 minutes of video.

I've been satisfied with my burner. It's a Pioneer burner housed in a LaCie case (LaCie d2 Blu-Ray 12x USB 2.0 and FireWire Drive 301906U) Got it through Amazon for $399.00. Not cheap, but it is bundled with Toast 10.0.8 and some other software. The only coasters I got were my own fault.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Pioneer burner. I found it on Amazon, but it doesn't seem to be bundled with Toast anymore.

I do like Pioneer products however and will most likely get it. Nice to know it is a Pioneer burner in a LaCie case.

Do you have to burn your Blu-Ray disks at a lesser speed ( like 2x ) or does 12x work just fine?

Do you use Verbatim disks?

Does multiplexing take as long as encoding ?

And does 1440 x 720 have a near Blu-Ray quality on a HD television ?

Thanks a lot for letting me know how your system works.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Pioneer burner. I found it on Amazon, but it doesn't seem to be bundled with Toast anymore.

I do like Pioneer products however and will most likely get it. Nice to know it is a Pioneer burner in a LaCie case.

Do you have to burn your Blu-Ray disks at a lesser speed ( like 2x ) or does 12x work just fine?

The burner only does 2x for blu-ray.

Do you use Verbatim disks?

Yes.

Does multiplexing take as long as encoding ?

No. It's the encoding that hogs the time.

And does 1440 x 720 have a near Blu-Ray quality on a HD television ?

Close, though I wish Apple would get their ^#!& together.

Thanks a lot for letting me know how your system works.

Glad to be of assistance.

Archived