• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Black And White Video

digoxy

Question

Hello gang,

I have been working this issue for about a week now and have come to the conclusion this will not work, however, before I just dump out of using V2D for this video capture I thought I would first touch with you guys.

I am running

v2d 1.1.125 SP2;4.50.13a.

Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit - 6.0 SP2).

Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2.4, 4gb mem.

HS USB.

This product works great for capturing standard VHS video from a VHS, I have dumped hours of video using this product. I would say I am pretty savvy with its connections and understand the hardware part of connecting this to my computer. With this said, when I try to capture from my older black and white (b/w) video originally recorded with an old b/w cam, it drops signal to a "no signal" notification. I still see the preview, have the audio just have a no signal and no option to capture.

I have experimented with this in great detail, even gone as far as hooking two VHS's together, recording the b/w video to a new VHS tape, then try to capture it from the new VHS tape. Same "no signal" message.

I have put mixed, newer video and b/w video together on a VHS tape, this was interesting! I created a VHS tape for the first minute I used color video, then, recorded b/w video, then exchanged back to color video. What I came up with was about a 4-5 minute VHS that had color-b/w-color video. As I ran this in the V2D capture, I started the capture, it captured through the color video, then when the b/w started to capture it went to "no signal" and asked if I wanted to save.

Thinking this may have something to do with format of the video, I have tried all the video input options in V2D and it seems always to default back to NTSC. I have tried to wash the signal a bit by connecting two VHS players together via the VHF(ANT). Hey, this was a long shot I know, but sounded kinda fun to try. Using VHS 1, I connected VHF OUT to VHS 2 VHF IN, I then connected the roxio dongle to VHS 2, set channel 3 on VHS 2, hit play on VHS 1 and there was the video. Again, this worked great with color, not my b/w video.

I am really thinking this has something to do with software as I have tried so many things with different connections, tried different cables, different VHS players, different USB ports. Its most frustrating due to the fact that all my other video works great on import but this older b/w video just doesnt want to capture.

One last thing, I have both Pinnacle Studio 14 and Avid Liquid, I am unable to see the Roxio USB dongle from either of these applications. Is there some trick to this possibly or does this dongle only work with V2D?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

I also have seen this issue. I believe the Easy VHS to DVD cannot handle a signal without a colourburst. If I put something inbetween my source and the EV2D that has, say, a coloured menu then all is well. But in this case, the "something inbetween" is adding the colourburst to the signal.

Some users have no problem with Black & White, others do… :(

I usually suggest the ‘pass through’ method you describe although I never used it with the ANT :lol:

The Roxio software is designed to work with their Video Capture USB device. It may or may not work with other software, that was not a design consideration. I have a new $200 Pinnacle capture card that will not work with Roxio software. :angry:

Just so you know. Your 1.1.125 software will not work in Win7. It is only good on Vista & XP.

If you do decide to junk it, IM me here! I would love to have one that doesn’t work just so I can play around with it ;) I’d be willing to part with a few €€’s to have one…

Some users have no problem with Black & White, others do… :(

I usually suggest the ‘pass through’ method you describe although I never used it with the ANT :lol:

The Roxio software is designed to work with their Video Capture USB device. It may or may not work with other software, that was not a design consideration. I have a new $200 Pinnacle capture card that will not work with Roxio software. :angry:

Just so you know. Your 1.1.125 software will not work in Win7. It is only good on Vista & XP.

If you do decide to junk it, IM me here! I would love to have one that doesn’t work just so I can play around with it ;) I’d be willing to part with a few €€’s to have one…

Thank you so much for your reply, I do appreciate it. I have gone back and used the composite video as a pass through and the same thing happens just like described above. Its somewhat frustrating. I will continue to work on a solution and if I am able to make it work, I will surely post the results here.

Fortunately I am using Vista and the 1.1 works for the most part. I may have to break down and find another video capture solution for the b/w video as I think I have exhausted most any application of the V2D to capture it. :(

I cant say that the sale of the V2D would do me much good really, I think I may play with it some more. It seems to do fine for video game capture like from the X-box/Nintendo and even for capturing tv shows and things of this nature. In all its still a usable product just strange things with the b/w video.

Archived