Video Wave Project Is Extremely Slow Loading And Saving.

retiredguy04

Question

Project is a mix of slides (JPEG) and videos (AVI & MOV). dsms file is 2.77 MB and folder containig all slides, videos, and dmsm file is 3.94 GB.

Never had this problem on old computer with Windows XP using Creator 2010. This is new computer and new Roxio 2011.

• Operating System (including service packs): Windows 7 Home (32 bit)

• Make: Dell

• Model: Optiplex 380 Business Class Tower

• Video card ATI Radeon HD 3450 256 MB PCI-Express

• Processor speed: 2.7 GHz

• RAM: 3 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800 MHz

• Free hard drive space: ~200GB

• I last did an operating system update on: New 8/2010

• Operating system: )

12 answers to this question

How long (time) is the project? Is it over one hour? How much music have you added? 3 1/5 minutes may not be too bad. I just opened a slide show with 150 images, 5 pieces of music and transitions. It took about 45 seconds to open completely as seen by the music being fully loaded and the wave form showing.

The dmsm project is just over 1mb. See my computer spec below.

That video card might also be an issue. The 256 mb memory is low by today's standard. It is fine for most business applications and some game playing (read video editing) but not for the heavy video editing that you are doing. Have you tried to switch to software render (tools/options/dot near software). Sometimes that does speed things up. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for that video card. There is one from late January.

I just did a test on my rather slow laptop. In Videowave I created a slideshow with 300 images and nothing else. Saved it to a dmsm file and it took about 9-10 minutes to save. OPening the dmsm project again to about 50 secs. I then made a small change (switched a couple of images) and used Saved As to save the project to another dmsm file Thjis took a bit more then a minute.

What I noticed is that when saving the first time, a proxy file is created for every image file and that is what took the time. The actual dmsm file is under 1mb.. So if you clean out every time then every Save As will take a long time. My time is also so long because my images are on an external drive and of course it will take a bit of time to "copy" the 2GB of images to the Proxy folder.

Of course I would never even consider doping a slideshow with 300 images in one shot. I always break up my slideshows into smaller segements of 50 images or so. Why load "300 images" if you are only making a small change near a slide

Project has 302 slides/videos and is 34 minutes long. No music yet, that's where I'm at now. I switched to Software Render but it had no effect. I left it there. I also checked the updates for my video card and it was current.

Suggestion to use several smaller projects sounds interresting. Is it possible to merge them when complete into one slideshow, or do you save them onto one DVD as a series of slideshows?

Project has 302 slides/videos and is 34 minutes long. No music yet, that's where I'm at now. I switched to Software Render but it had no effect. I left it there. I also checked the updates for my video card and it was current.

Suggestion to use several smaller projects sounds interresting. Is it possible to merge them when complete into one slideshow, or do you save them onto one DVD as a series of slideshows?

If you create the slideshows in Videowave, they can easily be combined in myDVD. How you want to author your DVD is up to you. By outputting each slideshow to a video file (mepg, best quality) in Videowave you could then add the video files in myDVD to create one continuous movie or have each of the slideshows become a separate Title on the DVD.

Before you start a project, you should decide how you want your final project to appear. Have the show as one continuous movie or break the show up into segments based on a themes, days during a vocation, etc. Each of these segments could then become a Title. Trying to do the whole slideshow as one big project is a very poor approach in my opinion.

First off, I don't know if the stated problem has been solved. That is, retiredguy states that VideoWave is slow. He reports that it takes 3+ minutes to open a dmsm file. He believes this is too long. Based on these two factors several thoughts come to mind. First, how quickly does this person believe VideoWave should open this file? Second, is the expectation realistic based on the given computer specs, taking into account the size of the dmsm file referenced? Can anyone provide an estimate of what can be expected based on their experience? Maybe as one individual responded, 3 plus minutes might not be so bad.

First off, I don't know if the stated problem has been solved. That is, retiredguy states that VideoWave is slow. He reports that it takes 3+ minutes to open a dmsm file. He believes this is too long. Based on these two factors several thoughts come to mind. First, how quickly does this person believe VideoWave should open this file? Second, is the expectation realistic based on the given computer specs, taking into account the size of the dmsm file referenced? Can anyone provide an estimate of what can be expected based on their experience? Maybe as one individual responded, 3 plus minutes might not be so bad.

The length of time it takes to open a dmsm file depends on too many factors to give an answer. Did you bother to read my post above where I did a test?

Yes, I did read your post. All I'm suggesting is to determine what retiredguy is expecting. In otherwords, how fast does he expect the file to open? No one has yet asked that question. And then, one can determine if his expectations are reasonable for what he is doing? Sknis has gotten the closest to the issue by commenting that 3plus minutes doesn't appear that long. And his test appears to be under similar computer conditions, but with half as many slides.

I recognize that numerous variables influence how long it takes to open a dmsm file. Consequently, it's difficult to provide a definitive answer. But that seems to be what is being done here. I go back to my initial question. What's the expectation? Should it be 45 seconds or 3 plus minutes? Well that depends.

Yes, I did read your post. All I'm suggesting is to determine what retiredguy is expecting. In otherwords, how fast does he expect the file to open? No one has yet asked that question. And then, one can determine if his expectations are reasonable for what he is doing? Sknis has gotten the closest to the issue by commenting that 3plus minutes doesn't appear that long. And his test appears to be under similar computer conditions, but with half as many slides.

I recognize that numerous variables influence how long it takes to open a dmsm file. Consequently, it's difficult to provide a definitive answer. But that seems to be what is being done here. I go back to my initial question. What's the expectation? Should it be 45 seconds or 3 plus minutes? Well that depends.

Here's an answer. Open a .dmsm file, and time how long it takes to open. You now have a definitive answer on how fast you can expect the next file will take, to open.

You're beating a dead horse, Outerbank.

I don’t think so… Never heard of a dmsm file that exceeds 1 MB or so?

Roxio Project files do not contain a single picture or frame of video so they can never reach the sizes you are claiming :o

I suggest this – disable your anti-virus for this.

Start a new project, accept the defaults.

Under Tools – Options – Proxy Files, clear your files:

post-39730-026125100 1296927949.jpg

Add a bunch of pictures and Save the Project.

Close VW and open it again, then open your project.

Thanks for the response and I'm sorry I couldn't get back sooner. (We had family visiting). I tried what you suggested, i.e., turn off anti-virus, start a new project, clear proxy files, add pictures and videos, and save. Same results (very slow). I even deleted my anti-virus program (I was using AVG free which is another issue - compatibility with Windows 7) and tried again. No joy. Tried my project again - 3 1/2 minutes to open.

As to file size: My dsms file is 2.77 MB. The folder containing photos, videos AND the dmsm file is 3.94 GB. Photos and videos were taken with my Canon EOS T1i and downloaded to my hard drive. Photos were edited with the Creator 2011 PRO photo edit option prior to adding to Video Wave.

Thanks again for the help.

You may want to review the posting I made regarding your post. It appears just above yours on the forum. It doesn't provide a solution unfortunately, but it does clarify the size of a .dmsm file. As I suspected after going back to reread your initial posting, the size of the .dmsm file you referred to is 2.77mb, not the folder size which is much larger. The size of my .dmsm files are comparable to what you describe. Unfortunately, I can't make a comparison as to speed of open and/or save because these files are on my old computer which I have learned was insufficient to expect speed in opening or saving a .dmsm file. Hopefully, the gurus will be able to help you solve the issue.

Thanks for the response and I'm sorry I couldn't get back sooner. (We had family visiting). I tried what you suggested, i.e., turn off anti-virus, start a new project, clear proxy files, add pictures and videos, and save. Same results (very slow). I even deleted my anti-virus program (I was using AVG free which is another issue - compatibility with Windows 7) and tried again. No joy. Tried my project again - 3 1/2 minutes to open.

As to file size: My dsms file is 2.77 MB. The folder containing photos, videos AND the dmsm file is 3.94 GB. Photos and videos were taken with my Canon EOS T1i and downloaded to my hard drive. Photos were edited with the Creator 2011 PRO photo edit option prior to adding to Video Wave.

Thanks again for the help.

How long (time) is the project? Is it over one hour? How much music have you added? 3 1/5 minutes may not be too bad. I just opened a slide show with 150 images, 5 pieces of music and transitions. It took about 45 seconds to open completely as seen by the music being fully loaded and the wave form showing.

The dmsm project is just over 1mb. See my computer spec below.

That video card might also be an issue. The 256 mb memory is low by today's standard. It is fine for most business applications and some game playing (read video editing) but not for the heavy video editing that you are doing. Have you tried to switch to software render (tools/options/dot near software). Sometimes that does speed things up. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for that video card. There is one from late January.

Obviously, everyone that posts a question on the forum is seeking a solution. I this instance, the response left a lot to be desired. For example, leaving the impression that a .dmsm file over 1mb is unusual and therefore something must be wrong, and then having that person pursue something that proved to be irrelevant doesn't do the person much good. Moreover, the responder misstated in a follow up to my posting about the size of the .dmsm file. I said 2+mb. He says 3.9GB, which was an incorrect reading of what was stated in the original posting. Yes, I have made over 200 posts on this forum. I don't see how the number of posts makes one an expert. You may find that most of my posts are questions about problems with the software not working, not about how to use the software. It is my hope that at some point I am accomplished enough to offer solutions to those that want help. I'm not at that point yet.

In any event, there's obviously nothing to be further gained by continuing this dialog. I do hope however, that when individuals question something that is posted on the forum they don't become ostrasized.

Archived