• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Can Unwanted Portions of a Video Clip Be Removed?

John

Question

I'm new to video editing in general and EMC in particular, so please bear with me. I'm running EMC8 build 805B56B, a full boxed retail version, so I would expect it to support all the features of the product.

I've captured a couple of hours of video from a VHS tape, and now I'd like to remove unwanted portions of it. (I'm sure this is a common task, say, for editing out commercials from video captured from TV.) It appears that the way to do this is to identify scenes in the clip and then reassemble the clip using only the scenes I want. But as has been noted at length in other posts, there is no capability for manually marking scenes in this version, even though the help file says it exists. Only automatic scene marking is offered. And that, of course, doesn't accurately isolate the scenes I want to remove.

Is there a better way to edit out the portions of video I don't want? Am I missing the method for marking scenes?

I'm guessing that this is only the beginning of my bewilderment and frustration with this product, yes?

Thanks in advance.

- John

6 answers to this question

I have Both VERSIONS and yes, I can do what I described above in both versions. Making a 'cut' is the only way to 'manually' define a 'scene boundary'. If you are in MyDVD, you are using the wrong application. I don't think I can be much clearer.

Must be a real slow day.......

Yes, this works but only until VideoWave locks up.

I was editing a 1 hr TiVo file. I made one commercial cut the way you described -- all OK. Then I defined the two split points for the next cut. I wanted to verify the points so I moved the timeline cursor back to just before the first split point of the planned cut. At that point it locked up. I waited several minutes. For the first minute or two the HD was thrashing so I assume VCGFileProxyMgr (or some process) was doing its thing. Then the thrashing stopped but the interface was locked up with the mouse pointer shown as the time line cursor. Finally I went to Program Manager to see what was happening. The Idle Process had all the processor time, i.e., VideoWave wasn't waiting for ANYTHING. So I had to shut VideoWave down.

I assume you have heard of the VideoReDo MPEG editor (www.videoredo.com). It is a much easier and faster editor to use but I haven't found any way to input files it creates to MyDVD8 and create a valid DVD. If I save from VRD as .mpg, the files load into MyDVD8 and seem to process OK, but the resulting DVD has major audio synch problems. (BTW, I forced resolution to 352x480 in this case to avoid transcoding delay. Did this cause the audio synch problem?) If I save from VRD as .vob, MyDVD8 will not accept the file, complaining that something is missing from it.

Is there any way to produce valid (for standalone players) DVD's with multiple TiVo videos that have been edited (and preferably without waiting 2 or 3 times the content length for transcoding)?

Try renaming the .vob file to .mpg amd see if videowave or MyDVD will accept it then. Of course if you have the option in VideoRedo to encode it to DV-AVI and you have the space on your computer, that would be the best way to go.

I have Both VERSIONS and yes, I can do what I described above in both versions. Making a 'cut' is the only way to 'manually' define a 'scene boundary'. If you are in MyDVD, you are using the wrong application. I don't think I can be much clearer.

Actually, Gary, you were quite clear. I wasn't taking issue with anything you said; rather, that EMC claimed that right-clicking a clip in Media Selector and picking the "mark scene" option, you were given the opportunity to do so automatically (which is the case) and manually (which is not). They even presented a screen shot that depicted a manual marking radio button option, which doesn't exist in the real world (at least, not in mine).

Your approach for cutting unwanted segments, however, worked just as you said. Thanks again.

And actually, after replacing the injection pump in my DIT F250, repairing a couple of hydraulic lines on a friend's tractor, resurrecting my neighbor's PC from a Windows meltdown, and getting my feet wet up to my chin in EMC, it was hardly a slow day. But else I would be bored, and that wouldn't do.

- John

a full boxed retail version, so I would expect it to support all the features of the product.

Since you are new to video editing, I would highly recommend watching the tutorials and reading the manual. As for the included features, that depends on which version you pruchased: EMC 8 Standard or Deluxe.

there is no capability for manually marking scenes in this version,
Yes there is. First, make sure you are using the correct application. Videowave is the 'editor'. Also don't confuse 'scenes' with 'chapter marks' although they could be in the same location in the video. To make it more confusing, some software will use the terms interchangeably. To keep the confusion down, I prefer to use 'scenes' or 'clips' for the editing process. Chapter marks can only be done in MyDVD during authoring the disc.

Think of editing video like editing FILM. To remove something, you literally make a cut at a spot. Make a second cut and then discard the 'clip' you created between the two cuts. Video editors are referred to as Non-linear editors because the user does not have to start at one end and proceed through the entire video. You can start anywhere in the timeline that you like.

To accomplish your task, launch Videowave. Add your video file. Switch to Timeline mode. Move the 'blue line' to the beginning of your cut. Click the 'cut' icon. Select the next clip. Move the blue line. Click the 'cut' icon again. Select the clip between the cuts and hit the delete key.

Using software can make video editing more simple, but it's still up to you to learn how to use the software. Besides the tutorials and manual, there are tons of resources on the internet to learn more about video editing in general.

post-49-1153597936.jpg

Since you are new to video editing, I would highly recommend watching the tutorials and reading the manual. As for the included features, that depends on which version you pruchased: EMC 8 Standard or Deluxe.

Many thanks for your advice. I've read through the manual, which is remarkably short on specifics, considering its length. I'll hit the turorial next; then start thrashing again at my captured clip. As to which version I have, the box only says, "Easy Media Creator Suite 8", and Help-About says, "Easy Media Creator 8 (Build 805B56B ENU)" - nothing at all about "Standard" or "Deluxe". Maybe those designations went away with the most recent build? Or maybe because I have the "suite"? Regardless, I definitely do not have the option to manually define scene boundaries; only automatic.

It's a slow day when ya don't learn somethin', eh?

- John

Must be a real slow day.......

Archived