• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Still Picture In Dvd

desperate-dave

Question

Hi Everyone

I'm a complete newbie to Roxio Creator 2011, I bought it 3 days ago, and am getting along with it just fine, except for one little problem!

I have some videos (4 that link togeather to make one movie) that are in VOB file format, that I can put togeather in MyDvd, and they work fine. My problem is that I want to add a still business graphic at the begining of the video. I started putting this graphic as a menu background picture, and it looked great, the colours were bright and true, and the 'vector' art work looked sharp with no jagged graphics, I was very happy with the results. Unfortunately I wasn't to happy with the finished dvd, my still graphic looked great, the text linked through to the video fine, but if I tried to skip forward whilst watching the video footage, it just kept going back to the start menu, also I wasnt over happy with the link text on my nice business graphics.

So again in MyDvd, I created a dvd, this time though with no menu. I added the same graphic as the first clip in my project, then added the video. In the preview, it looked fine, so I burnt a dvd, which plays fine. My graphic plays for 10 seconds, then it goes nicely into the video footage, just as I wanted it to in the first place with no menus. The nice colourful graphic though, now looks a bit drab, the colours aren't as bright as they were when being used in a menu backgound, also the graphic now looks a bit wider then it should, stretched and squashed a bit, not to bad though as the vector art part looks sharp still, no jaggered bits.

I experimented with the graphic in different sizes, but it still looked a bit stretched, the best one was at 640x480. So what I'd like to know, is there any reason as to why my graphic looses some of the brightness out of the colours, and is there a way to fix this. And is there a size to create my business graphic in, that will stop any of this distortion on the screen. The graphic and my project is ment to be in 16:9, I've tried the graphic at 720x576, 788x576, and also 960x576.

Any help or advice will be welcome.

Thanks.. Dave

11 answers to this question

Hello again Jim

Thanks for your reply, sorry if Im coming over as a bit thick, lol.

Ok to answer your original question, the graphic is 720x576 px, it's RGB 16 bit, and it's 72pi, and also set as 'Bicubic'. I also applied some broadcast safe filters to the finnished image, after the layers were flattened. I have read about safe colour ranges for graphics that are going to be viewed on a television, but I cant see how to check or alter mine in photoshop, any ideas?

Hope that answers your question, and sheds a bit more light on what I'm doing!

Thanks.. Dave

"Broadcast Safe" is also known as CROPPING! That makes the image smaller then you blow it up again to use in the movie...

Try the graphic as a jpg without trying to fix anything. I suspect the tinkering is counterproductive.

Your stated size is fine but I don't know where it started from... I can take a 352 X 240 and output as 720 X 576. It will look horrable! You may want to reduce the size by using a black panel and adding it as an overlay. You can shrink it a little and it will stay 'crisp'. In the 'early computing days' I had a company logo graphic that we could add to our email. It was great, until I tried to enlarge it to use as a letterhead :(

I also want to remind you that you can't just look at the PC your using! You have to burn a disc and try it on various TV/DVD's to get a true perspective on what you have.

One thing you must face when targeting a wide audence. You cannot predict what equipment they will be viewing it with. You can only target ONE and hope the compromises with the others won't matter.

The TV Safe Zone switch is under the View menu, however in MyDVD it is only showing the possible effect on the MENU screen, not the movies that follow. For that, you have to use it in VideoWave.

post-39730-081916700 1297178038.jpg

HI Jim

Thanks for the reply, I did try the graphic at 320x240, but it looked really bad on the television, so I went back to a larger image.

I've been saving my image as a .png, so I'll give .jpg a go instead, and then burn a dvd to see how it comes out. Also I'll try your very good idea of trying it on different tv's to see how it looks, luckly I have a old 4:3 tele, and a older widescreen tv to try the new dvd out on. I'll come back and post my results as soon as I've tried it.

Many thanks... Dave

VideoWave is your Editor, not MyDVD!

Do your work in VW and save the Project. Then use MyDVD, add your Project and burn your disc.

What is the Total Time of the project? What quality setting did you use?

What is the brand of media? - hint, if it doesn't say Verbatim it probably belongs in a dumpster...

What is the initial resolution of your business graphic? One thing you will find, you cannot render up with graphics.

As far as color, nothing would change that except the normal variations of monitors and TV's. One exception, Quality Setting. If low it is the color that is sacrificed to fit to the disc! That is why I asked about length and settings ;)

Hi again Jim

Ok I've finally sussed my graphic problem out, but before I explain that bit, I'll try to answer you question about "what resolution it was developed in"

I did mention in one of my posts this, "the graphic is 720x576 px, it's RGB 16 bit, and it's 72pi, and also set as 'Bicubic", is this what you wanted to know, if not, then I'm a bit confussed as to waht you need to know?

Anyway, I've come to a happy end with my problem, I don't think it's quite the right way to do this, but it works and it looks great, so I'm happy with it (and I'm megga fussy, lol).

I started a new file in photoshop, I choose one of the 'Film & Video' presets, I picked the 'PAL D1/DV Widescreen Square Pixel' which is 1050x576 pixels, with a 72pi, and again RGB 16 bit. Also in in the 'new file' box, in the 'advanced' section I picked a colour profile of 'SDTV PAL', as I figured this would colour correct my images for me, and should be fine for viewing on a tv.

Then I just re-added my graphics, and saved it as a .png file. I opened MyDvd, and added the still graphic, followed by the VOB files. I checked the settings were the same as before, and then did a quick preview. My new graphic was letterboxed, hhmm not good, so I opend that file over in VideoWave and altered the 'aspect ratio' so it filled the screen. This is the part I wasn't happy about, as I wanted to get the graphic right without having to alter it in the software. I clicked back to MyDvd, and checked the preview again, the graphic looked fine, so I burnt a disc.

On my television the graphic looked great, the colours looked true and bright, just liked they did on my computer screen, also they looked nice and sharp, which was the most important part of it all. Actually I'm very impressed with the colours looking so good, like I said, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to achieve my great graphics, but it will do, I just have to test it out on a few other televisions now to make sure.

Thanks very much for all your help, it much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't realise the video editing part was called videoWave, I just thought it was all MyDvd and you just switched between different parts of it!

I did use MyDvd to create the project, and I burnt it from there as well. The actually VOB files are ripped from a professional made (master) DVD which I have the distribution rights too, the video length is 100 minutes and 6 seconds. Now I know that's to long for high quality, so I used the 'same as original' setting, but ever trial dvd I did had no audio, so I changed the setting to 'High Quality', and altered the audio to 'Dolby Digital AC-3', and everything was fine, even the quality of the video, it was just my still business graphic that let it down slightly.

My graphic doesn't look to bad at all, I'm happy with it and it's passable as a sellable product, it's just me being ultra fussy, I wanted the colours to be more vivid and bright. The original graphic was 720x576, I have read about Pc monitor pixels being different to Tv pixels, and have tried the graphic at 1024 pics wide, but it didn't look that much different than the original.

As for the actual media, I'm just using TDK DVD-R single layer discs for the trial versions, the actual printed dvd's that I'll be selling are thermal printed by a company, which I have in my possession, but they don't have any name on them.

I get what your saying about a rendered graphic turned into video, isn't going to be as good as a still graphic used as a menu background, I think I'm right there??

Hope this helps.. Dave

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't realise the video editing part was called videoWave, I just thought it was all MyDvd and you just switched between different parts of it!

I did use MyDvd to create the project, and I burnt it from there as well. The actually VOB files are ripped from a professional made (master) DVD which I have the distribution rights too, the video length is 100 minutes and 6 seconds. Now I know that's to long for high quality, so I used the 'same as original' setting, but ever trial dvd I did had no audio, so I changed the setting to 'High Quality', and altered the audio to 'Dolby Digital AC-3', and everything was fine, even the quality of the video, it was just my still business graphic that let it down slightly.

My graphic doesn't look to bad at all, I'm happy with it and it's passable as a sellable product, it's just me being ultra fussy, I wanted the colours to be more vivid and bright. The original graphic was 720x576, I have read about Pc monitor pixels being different to Tv pixels, and have tried the graphic at 1024 pics wide, but it didn't look that much different than the original.

As for the actual media, I'm just using TDK DVD-R single layer discs for the trial versions, the actual printed dvd's that I'll be selling are thermal printed by a company, which I have in my possession, but they don't have any name on them.

I get what your saying about a rendered graphic turned into video, isn't going to be as good as a still graphic used as a menu background, I think I'm right there??

Hope this helps.. Dave

I assume that you are trying to burn to a DL DVD since a 100 minute video will never fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD at a setting of HQ (best) quality. A 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any longer and the video is compressed and you lose quality. If you were to use "Fit-to-Disc" the quality would be very bad.

Good, I am glad you got it sorted out!

If you intend to do video with pictures and movies combined, you have to plan ahead for the Ratios!!!

You can't change a ratio, mathmatically impossible! So you must start and maintain the desired ratio from the very beginning.

When you have a 16:9 project and Fill Screen with a 4:3 it gets cut off at the top and bottom. If that 4:3 pictue had a tall building to the edges, you would lose the first 2 floors and the upper 2 :lol:

There are other ways around this, but no way to get a 4:3 onto a 16:9 without, borders, cropping or distortion.

Hi myguggi

I'm burning to a single layer disc, the video content on the original master disc is only 3.70Gb, so I'm guessing the original footage (1hr and 40 mins long) was compressed before being put onto the master disc! Therefore I can add the VOB files and keep the settings at high quality, and still get the quality that was on the master disc, does that make sense?

My first attempt with VideoWave was using 'Fit-to-Disc', and it was awful, lol, won't be using that again!!

Like I said, I'm happy with the video footage quality, it's just my business graphic that I'm slightly disapointed with. I know its nothing to do with the Roxio Creator 2011 software, I think it's more to do with 'broadcast safe' colours, and image size.

Thanks.. Dave

TIME is what video is based on. Size is meaningless!!!

Size is the result of Time and Quality hence meaningless…

Roxio is a ‘prosumer’ product. Your Professional disc was made with a Professional product, like Roxio’s DVDit ($200 to $500). They also make some in the $30,000 range. Most folks only need the single pass, fixed rate render of Creator and while the others can pack more on a disc, render time is in the turn the lights off and go home variety :lol:

You never answered my question about the original quality of your graphic.

Archived