• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Will Creator 2011 "break" Wmc's Ability To Burn Dvds?

DrDon995

Question

Installing Roxio Creator 2009 on my old Windows XP machine disabled the ability to burn DVDs of television shows from within Windows Media Center. Yeah, I could do it with Creator, but I kind of liked the one-click-and-done method when the program wasn't anything that needed editing. Between that and the myriad of installation wrecks I had upgrading to Creator 2010, I swore I was done with Roxio products.

I've just purchased a Dell Studio XPS 9100 with Win7 Home Premium x64. It came with Roxio Starter 2011 which won't burn a video DVD. Only VCDs. So here are my questions..

1. If I bite the bullet and upgrade this machine to the latest version of Creator, what will it break? Will I once again lose the ability to burn DVDs from within WMC?

2. If I uninstall Roxio Starter 2011, what will THAT break?

I need to be able to burn an H.264 WTV file to a standard-definition, dual layer DVD with as little hassle as possible. (Yes, I know WMC doesn't do that, either, but I'm hoping Creator 2011 will)

Failing that ability, I still want to be able to burn WTV files to DVD from within WMC.

3. And, finally, will Creator 2011 be able to work with files that are on another computer connected thru a home network? I know that made 2010 crash every time.

Thanks.

Doc

9 answers to this question

You just told me "Nothing wrong with this PC" :rolleyes:

All kinds of programs including Roxio are not 64-bit app and run fine on a Win7 Home Premium x64 operating system! Look in your C:/program file x86.

See the Dell isn't as perfect as you think. ;)

Touche. ;) And I will agree with you, there. The PC I built last summer (used as a home theater computer) Runs a helluva lot better than the new Dell. Hard to have pre-installed failware when you build the thing yourself. ;)

Touche. ;) And I will agree with you, there. The PC I built last summer (used as a home theater computer) Runs a helluva lot better than the new Dell. Hard to have pre-installed failware when you build the thing yourself. ;)

The I7 950 I just built (see signature) was a bit of a challenge.

RMA Mother Board, bent pin, RMA CPU, bad memory controller, RMA 1TB hard drive. :lol:

She is running great now. :)

Doc

I haven't had any of those problems and have installed C2010 and C2011 at least six times on W-7 x64 Pro and W-7 x64 Ultimate.

All your other questions I really can't answer.

My suggestion is buy the product from Roxio's website if it doesn't meet your expectations you have a 30 day like it or return it policy.

The I7 950 I just built (see signature) was a bit of a challenge.

RMA Mother Board, bent pin, RMA CPU, bad memory controller, RMA 1TB hard drive. :lol:

She is running great now. :)

Impressive. Not too far off of what I built. I used an ASRock mobo and I have about half your ram. And, since it's home theater, there wasn't any need for a sound card since the mobo's does pass-thru right out of the optical port. But I digress ;)

My suggestion is buy the product from Roxio's website if it doesn't meet your expectations you have a 30 day like it or return it policy.

Returning it won't fix whatever it breaks on installation or removal. I uninstalled 2009 from my XP machine, but could not restore the DVD burning capability to Windows Media Center. So, I had to reinstall 2009. Had hoped 2010 would be faster, but it was about the same speed and the installation bugs took DAYS to resolve (my machine had a newer version of .NET Framework that Creator was NOT happy with). By that point I was out $160. You'd have to do a serious sell on me to fork over even more cash just to get a program that might live up to the billing of its predecessors (that I've already paid for).

If nobody can answer my question, then I'll probably just leave 2011 Starter alone (uninstalling could break something) and find another product that can meet my needs.

Thanks.

I don't work for Roxio so I'm not selling anything.

Like I said I haven't had any problems with C2009, C2010, or C2011.

The software does work, some folks like you encounter problems but there are known fixes.

I can't fix your PC because I physically can't poke it with a stick.

Good luck.

I don't work for Roxio so I'm not selling anything.

Like I said I haven't had any problems with C2009, C2010, or C2011.

The software does work, some folks like you encounter problems but there are known fixes.

I can't fix your PC because I physically can't poke it with a stick.

Good luck.

LOL. Much thanks. Nothing wrong with this PC. And I want to make sure it stays that way. Currently testing out another program that burns television to disc in about a third of the time. Not a 64-bit app, so there's some crashing.

Again, thanks.

LOL. Much thanks. Nothing wrong with this PC. And I want to make sure it stays that way. Currently testing out another program that burns television to disc in about a third of the time. Not a 64-bit app, so there's some crashing.

Again, thanks.

You just told me "Nothing wrong with this PC" :rolleyes:

All kinds of programs including Roxio are not 64-bit app and run fine on a Win7 Home Premium x64 operating system! Look in your C:/program file x86.

See the Dell isn't as perfect as you think. ;)

Archived