• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

videowave 8 narration

drufus2002

Question

I have videowave 8 (not the whole creator package). What I am trying to do is to narrate a slide show. I have read the help files. They say that I can narrate a slideshow either in My DVD or, I think, by using videowave. The fact is that the 'narrate' option seems to be grayed out. Does this mean that I cannot narrate a slide show with Videowave 8?

Thank you...............

10 answers to this question

.mov is a Quicktime file which is proprietary. You will need to update that from Apple's website. Most still cameras use an odd size for video like 320X240 or 640X480. Some support 15fps and others 30fps. NTSC is 720 X 480 @29.97fps. So sometimes these files will not be optimal quality once rendered.

There are ways to control the volume. Just above the preview is a smal speaker icon. This is the MASTER volume control. If you have several audio tracks, I believe it will affect all audio. Click that and adjust the volume level. To adjust individual track levels, you may need the Deluxe version.

Are you telling me that I must convert a .mov file before inserting it? do you mean have the latest and greatest quicktime? (I do) The program seems to be able to handle them and run them. My camera gives me the NTSC standard for videos.

I know about the volume thing. My whine is about not having full control over all tracks. If, for instance, I have a narration AND background music it would be nice to control the volume on them individually (as in videowave itself). This is not a real big deal - I am working around it, I just think it would be nice. I notice, for instance, that if I have a video and choose to edit it then I am taken to what looks like the videowave window. On the other hand this does not happen for a slideshow.

Are you telling me that I must convert a .mov file before inserting it?
No, just saying that you need the latest Quicktime already installed. EMC doesn't install Quicktime (that I know).

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the Deluxe version does have volume control for each audio track. I'll have to check that out later and let you know.

If you are in MyDVD and click 'edit movie', it does indeed take you to a limited Videowave screen. I don't think this was intented to replace the full editor though. If you want total control over your slideshow, then start with Videowave and the slideshow wizard there.

No, just saying that you need the latest Quicktime already installed. EMC doesn't install Quicktime (that I know).

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the Deluxe version does have volume control for each audio track. I'll have to check that out later and let you know.

If you are in MyDVD and click 'edit movie', it does indeed take you to a limited Videowave screen. I don't think this was intented to replace the full editor though. If you want total control over your slideshow, then start with Videowave and the slideshow wizard there.

You are correct on the audio control for each audio track. It is sweet.

If you are in MyDVD, you can 'edit movie' which takes you to a limited version of Videowave. I've never tried adding narration there. However, I just tried it and it does work in the Deluxe version. I have not seen or used the Essentials version which has limited capabilities.

Thank you for the reply. I am wending my way through this program so I will have some questions. I am coming from another package which they have 'fixed' and is no longer functional.

I did find the narration thing in MyDVD (sometimes it takes me a while). I have noticed some things, however. One is that one cannot have the photo filename appear in the slide show. This would be nice as I tend to name my photos desciptively. I am, for instance, currently trying to create a slide show of my last trip which means there will be something in excess of 2500 photos involved. There is also the problem of embedded movies from the digital camera. Most digital cameras now allow for taking short videos. What I am currently doing is gathering them all up and sticking them in as a single menu item (trip videos) but it would be nice to mix them in with the photos to keep everything nicely in synch. I actually went to videowave and tried to put all photos and .mov files into a file. videowave wasn't too thrilled with this and would not transcribe it.

I am also considering, and have no idea if its possible, exporting the entire slide show to a video (.mpg) file and then trying to edit it with videoway. One of the problems with doing a narration in MyDVD is that one does not have control of volume - either background music or narration. I am currently playing the music, with Media Monkey, and then narrating. Its kinda tricky but seems to work.

I am also noticing that the narration tends to lag behind the photos even though they were entered whilst a given photo was displaying. I noticed that there was a patch about something like this so I downloaded and installed it. I have no idea if that will fix it but I am going to find out.

Just a few thoughts. I suspect that I have probably missed some things that I am whining about but I will, eventually, get there.

Any thoughts you might have would be of value (be kind).

Thanks.................

.mov is a Quicktime file which is proprietary. You will need to update that from Apple's website. Most still cameras use an odd size for video like 320X240 or 640X480. Some support 15fps and others 30fps. NTSC is 720 X 480 @29.97fps. So sometimes these files will not be optimal quality once rendered.

There are ways to control the volume. Just above the preview is a smal speaker icon. This is the MASTER volume control. If you have several audio tracks, I believe it will affect all audio. Click that and adjust the volume level. To adjust individual track levels, you may need the Deluxe version.

Once you are sucessful in making a narration for a slide (Videowave), I suggest that you change the default folder where you want to save them to the same folder that you have placed all your photos in, or a sub-folder under that one. These narration files can get mixed very easily and be careful of the names for each narration, as this can get hard to figure out when you are editing each or even deleting them. (example: Let's say you make a certain narration and decide that you don't like it and want to make it again, or even several times before you get it just the way you want it. Each time you make it over, the name extension changes and later it's hard to figure out which one is the good one). Play around with your narrations and you will see what I am talking about.

2500 photos---Holy cow !! :huh: and video files on top of that too--My, My. Good luck with all the narrations :)

Frank....

You must first select the video track to narrate. In either Storyboard or Timeline, click on the first slide. The narration icon should be selectable.

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming, therefore, that it is not possible in My DVD as per the existing documentation. What you are saying is that I must edit the movie in Videowave instead. Makes sense - thank you again!

If you are in MyDVD, you can 'edit movie' which takes you to a limited version of Videowave. I've never tried adding narration there. However, I just tried it and it does work in the Deluxe version. I have not seen or used the Essentials version which has limited capabilities.

Archived