• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videofile Output - Recommendation?

HappyBob

Question

I'm confused about selecting a videofile output format.

What I'm trying to do is: Having made a series of videowave productions over the course of a year or so, then weave these together to make a single production that consists of the highlites of all the previous works. Up till now, I've been creating ("export as:) videofiles in generic avi, normal size then at the end of the year make one videowave production from all the avi's.

Is there a better file format for me to use to accomplish this?

The final product will be a DVD that will be projected to an audience of 100 or so people.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Thanks Jim and Myguggi,

The full narrative of what I have been doing in the past appears below (read if useful).

As you both point out, try to avoid rerendering but if needed (rerendering) do that from the best quality available. I have not had a lot of luck in just keeping the dmsm files, because my file organization skills (lack thereof) invariably I end up with "missing files".

As I say below, I'm trying to rethink my work flow and the decisions that I've made in the past.

Jim, your workflow strategy tutorial is an excellent one. Thanks

Any comments or suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Details of what I have been doing in the past. My church has missionary events about ten times per year. For each event I collect several hundred still photos and hours of video tape (miniDV) from the participants. I comb through all these and create (in VW) a 10 minute production that will tell the story of that specific event. From the dmsm I then create in MyDVD an iso that I use to produce a DVD for each of the participants. I produce a videofile from the dmsm (in VW). What I have been using is generic avi, normal size, to produce that videofile. I am questioning my wisdom in selecting generic avi as versus other formats that are available in light of how I intend to use those files subsequently.

At the end of each year I go through these 10 or so "stories" and extract (edit) each one so that they can be compiled into one production that will represent the activities of the entire year. This "year in review" DVD is projected on a wall screen to a large group, as well as copies made for selected individuals. Since I have discovered that maintaining interest in review of this nature, the time of production had best be 25 minutes or less, consequently there is heavy editing of each of the component videofiles. (Otherwise the "review" could be as long as 2 hours!!!)

Depends on how you want to put them together in the end…

I normally recommend just using VW Project (dmsm) files – Here

However the disadvantage with dmsm files is that they cannot be combined when you add them in MyDVD. Assumes that is what you might want to do…

If all you are going to do is make a DVD from them, I would Export to a high quality mpeg2. That way it will avoid extra Render time as they should Smart Render in MyDVD.

I'm confused about selecting a videofile output format.

What I'm trying to do is: Having made a series of videowave productions over the course of a year or so, then weave these together to make a single production that consists of the highlites of all the previous works. Up till now, I've been creating ("export as:) videofiles in generic avi, normal size then at the end of the year make one videowave production from all the avi's.

Is there a better file format for me to use to accomplish this?

The final product will be a DVD that will be projected to an audience of 100 or so people.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If you are not going to do any more editing on the video then you should Output As to MPEG-2 for DVD, best quality. That way your video will not have to be re-rendered again when it comes to create the DVD.

The format your are now using (generic avi) has a resolution of 320x240 while the final DVD resolution is 720x480 (which is mpeg2). So you see that your first render to a lower quality format then render again to get the 720x480 format. Unfortunately you will not get back the quality you lost when rendering to generic avi, normal.

If you want to render to avi then you should be choosing dv avi, best quality. This will of course give you very large files. When it comes to creating the final DVD, these DV avi files of course will have to be rendered to the mpeg2 format.

Archived