Export To Dvd

ScimitarGTC

Question

I think I have now overcome my earlier problems of jittery and unstable video capture but now have a new significant difficulty. I have already managed to successfully make 4 DVD's from my captured video clips saved in the Archive. My difficulty arose when I wanted to create a 5th. Let me say straight away there have been no changes to my PC since the last successful use of Easy VHS to DVD to account for this problem, everything is as it was and nothing has to my knowledge changed; I don't allow automatic Windows updates etc.

I imported the previously edited video clips I wanted to use from Archive; I clicked on the export arrow; I inserted a blank DVD+R 4.7Gb. I entered a title for the DVD and selected a menu option; quality status was shown as GOOD, 'the quality setting has been adjusted so the content will fit on the disc'; I ensured that all clips were checked then selected DVD as the Export destination and clicked 'Export'. The process started as it had previously by displaying the progress bar and eventually completed by advising me that the project had completed successfully and displayed the DONE screen. I clicked on DONE and re-inserted the now ejected DVD to watch some of the video. Obviously the selected clips fell within the permitted duration otherwise the export would not have been allowed to start, I checked that this feature was functioning when trying to resolve what had gone wrong.

The DVD would not load and did not start, no joy in my DVD player either. I tried again, which was a pain because the export had taken around 2 hours, but this was about the same as for each of the previous 4 successful exports to DVD. Again there was no success; looking at the E-Drive showed that although files had copied to the DVD they were all empty (0 Bytes) even though the DVD was shown as being full. I had done absolutely nothing different to what had been done before and was totally mystified by what was happening. No error messages or warnings of any kind had appeared.

I experimented by only adding 3 or 4 clips to the project pane because I did not want to wait for another 2 hours to see what was happening. To my surprise and pleasure I was delighted to find the export had been successful and the video had exported to the DVD OK. I then imported the full project list and exported again only to get the exact same result as the first time - nothing, only empty files.

I repeated the test of only adding a few clips, different ones to the previous time, and again the export was successful.

I am now at a loss as to what to do; I feel that the problem is being caused by the number of clips, or their size, but I do not know which ones to leave out and add to another DVD because the application only regulates inclusion of clips based on the total duration, not the number of clips or size.

I am going to go out and buy some RW DVD's because I have wasted several of the others and I will also try uninstalling and re-installing the application just incase something has become corrupted.

In the meantime has anyone out there any suggestions or help to offer regarding how to deal with this. Surely inclusion of clips cannot be based simply on trial and error, or can it? How do I decide which ones to include?

My system is Windows 7 home premium 32 bit and Easy VHS to DVD is build 201B23A ENU. I have used Roxio products before and have others installed on my PC but I have never come across an application as problematic as Easy VHS to DVD, it also stops working with some regularity and has to be re-started.

11 answers to this question

We are just users like yourself and have no access or knowledge of anything you do with Roxio…

You never came back to THIS post.

But on to your problems…

What is the total length (time) of your Project?

What media are you using?

Opening the bad discs in Windows explorer, what do you see, names & sizes, in the VIDEO_TS folder?

Last Post shows how to post an picture: HERE

Thanks for getting back to me; yes, let's try and sort problems:

Total time for the project is 108 minutes and 18 seconds.

The media I am using is TDK DVD+R 16x1 120mins 4.7Gb. I am also using for testing purposes Verbatim DVD+RW 120mins 4.7GB 4X

I do see names and sizes when looking on the E-Drive. I have scrapped the discs now so cannot check but I can remember something along the lines of Roxio Plasma and there were also the names (titles) of the clips. Everything had 0 Bytes against it.

I have been doing test exports using the DVD+RW discs and progressively adding clips until I meet the problem. So far I have managed to export 20 clips totalling 94 minutes and 44 seconds. There are 24 clips in my project in total.

I read somewhere else where you informed someone that discs didn't hold as much as they claimed, could be part of the problem. What I cannot understand is why the application doesn't tell me if the size is too big, it only seems to worry about the total time.

The 4 good discs I have created so far were all around the same time duration give or take a minute here or there.

I'm not clear on what you would like a photograph of?

Thanks for getting back to me; yes, let's try and sort problems:

Total time for the project is 108 minutes and 18 seconds.

The media I am using is TDK DVD+R 16x1 120mins 4.7Gb. I am also using for testing purposes Verbatim DVD+RW 120mins 4.7GB 4X

I do see names and sizes when looking on the E-Drive. I have scrapped the discs now so cannot check but I can remember something along the lines of Roxio Plasma and there were also the names (titles) of the clips. Everything had 0 Bytes against it.

I have been doing test exports using the DVD+RW discs and progressively adding clips until I meet the problem. So far I have managed to export 20 clips totalling 94 minutes and 44 seconds. There are 24 clips in my project in total.

I read somewhere else where you informed someone that discs didn't hold as much as they claimed, could be part of the problem. What I cannot understand is why the application doesn't tell me if the size is too big, it only seems to worry about the total time.

The 4 good discs I have created so far were all around the same time duration give or take a minute here or there.

I'm not clear on what you would like a photograph of?

PS: have checked your other link and you are quite right. I was unfamiliar with how the system worked but still can't say how I managed to miss it. Re: the comment, I eventually worked that one out for myself as well, but I still had to do a re-install to get everything working 100%.

A 4.7 GB disc holds 1:06 at HQ.

You can add more but Video Quality is sacrificed to hold more ~ no free rides ;)

Sadly you cannont control the 'Export' in the 201B version... It decides what to do and you are just there for the ride...

1:08 should fit but at reduced quality...

Since you have RW, I suggest you tape a TV show for the length of your project + 2 minutes and try that. But I would keep all of my project to the 1 hour mark so that the quality stays in the "Best" mode.

A 4.7 GB disc holds 1:06 at HQ.

You can add more but Video Quality is sacrificed to hold more ~ no free rides ;)

Sadly you cannont control the 'Export' in the 201B version... It decides what to do and you are just there for the ride...

1:08 should fit but at reduced quality...

Since you have RW, I suggest you tape a TV show for the length of your project + 2 minutes and try that. But I would keep all of my project to the 1 hour mark so that the quality stays in the "Best" mode.

Thanks for the come back. I think I agree with what you say entirely and was starting to have those thoughts myself. I will continue testing just to satisfy myself. Unfortunately all this taping and exporting does take time but I will continue and get back to you; it may be in a few days time because I am being told not to spend so much time in front of a PC screen!!!

Jim,

Have added clip 23 of 24 and it has exported OK and runs on the PC OK, no problems. However, It does not run successfully in my DVD player; there is instability and lots of drop-out. I put this down to the fact that the disc was burnt on the PC and it is in direct sync. If I now tried to export all 24 to the DVD+RW disc or the +R disc the export would fail, as it has on both types of media in the recent past. I have still to test out your TV recording suggestion to see how that pans out and will let you know. I think we are virtually at the end of this issue now and the sensible option is to only record/export clips that will stay in the 'Best' quality category as you mentioned earlier. I will still let you know about the 100minute+ TV recording though as it will be a new recording on a fairly new tape and hence give a better signal and consequently export better, hopefully.

Hi Jim,

Sorry it has taken a few days but I have now made a video recording from the TV onto a fairly new VHS tape. The recording was 105 minutes and exported successfully to a DVD+R disc.

I think that the problem I was experiencing just has to be put down to a vagary of the application but will not be experienced if one sticks to only exporting at 'Best' quality. I will raise with Roxio Support the anomaly of the application telling you everything is OK but then not exporting properly. First though I will carry out a 'fail export' by exporting my original 24 clips so that I can make a note of all of those empty files and folders.

I think we can close this issue now Jim and thanks for your help and pointers.

I understand but please do keep us informed ~ we learn from each other ;)

Jim,

Have added clip 23 of 24 and it has exported OK and runs on the PC OK, no problems. However, It does not run successfully in my DVD player; there is instability and lots of drop-out. I put this down to the fact that the disc was burnt on the PC and it is in direct sync. If I now tried to export all 24 to the DVD+RW disc or the +R disc the export would fail, as it has on both types of media in the recent past. I have still to test out your TV recording suggestion to see how that pans out and will let you know. I think we are virtually at the end of this issue now and the sensible option is to only record/export clips that will stay in the 'Best' quality category as you mentioned earlier. I will still let you know about the 100minute+ TV recording though as it will be a new recording on a fairly new tape and hence give a better signal and consequently export better, hopefully.

For a month you have been starting posts and never follow through with them…

Not much point in spending 20 or 30 minutes testing and detailing an answer for someone who doesn’t bother to come back… ;)

Excuse me Jim but I have made several replies to the tickets I have raised with support and also replied to the only reply I received from digital guru 'myguggi' on 10th Feb 2011. I never received any feedback from that comment. I have been checking every day to see if anyone has come forward with any suggestions but there has never been anything except the one reply mentioned above. If someone comments helpfully back to me I will respond and close the discussion if it resolves my difficulty, but how can I respond if there is nothing for me to reply to, or are those replies being posted somewhere else; you can see from the topic that no replies except yours and myguggi have been received.

We are just users like yourself and have no access or knowledge of anything you do with Roxio…

You never came back to THIS post.

But on to your problems…

What is the total length (time) of your Project?

What media are you using?

Opening the bad discs in Windows explorer, what do you see, names & sizes, in the VIDEO_TS folder?

Last Post shows how to post an picture: HERE

Archived