• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Uninstall

drhughjorgen

I just uninstalled Easy because I am going to install a new C drive. However once I uninstalled it my CD player nor my DVDRW player no longer work. I get a "code 39" error. I have researched and have tried everything I have found that says it is a solution to no avail. I have heard that I must reinstall Roxio in order to get my players to work. Does anyone have any information on this problem?

I just uninstalled Easy because I am going to install a new C drive. However once I uninstalled it my CD player nor my DVDRW player no longer work. I get a "code 39" error. I have researched and have tried everything I have found that says it is a solution to no avail. I have heard that I must reinstall Roxio in order to get my players to work. Does anyone have any information on this problem?

Does Windows see them?.......do they appear in your Device Manager?

Does Windows see them?.......do they appear in your Device Manager?

Yes they are in the Device Mgr. They do not work however. And when I Uninstall them and reboot, windows says found new hardware. But when I look at My Computer, they are not there. So if I go to Add New Hardware and go through it, I get to an error that says my drivers are corrupt or not found and code 39 error. And I did the Code 39 fix listed on the net.

What I really want to know, Other than how to fix this problem, is, This happened when I uninstalled Roxio. How do I fix it from there. Reinstall Roxio? Or maybe the to are not related, I guess.

You followed this Microsoft fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

If your going to install a new C drive this issue should be resolved.

I have done all those solutions you listed and to no avail. Any other suggestions, cause I am at a loss. I have been working on the for more that a week and have tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work so far. And BTW, I cannot install a new c drive until I get this issue resolved because I need the CD player to install a new c drive. What I really need is to get this issue resolved so any other suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I have done all those solutions you listed and to no avail. Any other suggestions, cause I am at a loss. I have been working on the for more that a week and have tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work so far. And BTW, I cannot install a new c drive until I get this issue resolved because I need the CD player to install a new c drive. What I really need is to get this issue resolved so any other suggestions will be very much appreciated.

It's a botched filter or your drive is belly up.

Remove the old hard drive set it carefully on a shelf.

Install the new drive and try installing the operating system with a DVD drive, operating systems come on DVD's not CD's. I'll bet you the DVD drive works fine, if it doesn't the drive is at fault.

It's a botched filter or your drive is belly up.

Remove the old hard drive set it carefully on a shelf.

Install the new drive and try installing the operating system with a DVD drive, operating systems come on DVD's not CD's. I'll bet you the DVD drive works fine, if it doesn't the drive is at fault.

Please note that I said "However once I uninstalled it my CD player nor my DVDRW player no longer work. I get a "code 39" error." This means my DVD player does not work either. There is nothing wrong with my c drive other than it is out of space and I am installing or want to install a larger capacity drive.

The problem is when I uninstalled Roxio my CD player and my DVD player stopped working and when I tried to fix it I get a code reading: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" IT has nothing to do with my c drive.

My drive is not belly up. I have plugged in a USB cd and the same thing happens, I get the same error code. It is not any cables, power hook up, or bad cd or dvd player. It is this error code, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". And I cannot do anything to solve it because I cannot get my XP cd to play to re initialize the corrupt driver. You got a suggestion about this?

drhughjorgen,

If you have a WINDOWS CD, try to boot your machine on it. You don't need to go any further than booting Windows. Once it boots, you can pull the CD out and restart your machine on the hard drive again as usual.

When it boots on the CD:

What you will have done is proved that your CD drive is working okay, and that you can go ahead and install Windows onto a fresh hard drive with it, if that's what you're wanting to do. There is no need to worry, it will all work properly.

What you have also done is prove what Cdanteek suggested in post #6, that you have a botched filter in your registry. This is easily fixed.

A short explanation first. Microsoft, in their 'wisdom', use a filter entry in the registry between Windows and your optical drives. The filter that Windows installs there allows Windows to see those drives.

-To allow Roxio programs to write to the drives, Roxio installs a Roxio filter in the same registry entry, and all is well.

-Sometimes when additional filters are added or removed [such as when you uninstalled the Roxio software] the registry entry can be broken. When this happens, Windows declares a national emergency [error 39] and can't see the drives any more. The solution is to delete the registry entry and make Windows rebuild it. It's a Microsoft weakness, not a Roxio one.

Now, there's really no need for you to fix this right now, since you're going to install Windows on your new drive. You will swap out the hard drives, boot on your Windows CD, and install Windows on the new drive. The new Windows installation will be fine, and the new Windows will see all your drives.

However, if you really really want to fix it before you move on, you have to delete the registry filter entry and restart the machine. That will make Windows rebuild the filter entry, and everything will be as it was.

The way to delete the registry filter entry is detailed HERE. I expect you'll want the XP method, half way down the page.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived