Kopfrkingl

Burning Dl Bd

Question

Bought a new dell comp and somehow they couldn't tell me if my bs burner is double layer or not (ordered dl). Anyway I wanted to test it, and see that creator starter came as software with it. I take it this is some form of lighter version of the creator 11 or a trial version? So wanted to know how exactly should I go about testing if my optical drive is double layer or not, as I don't want to waste a 50gb bd disc since it's pretty costly. Is there some sort of limit with the starter, as to the amount you can burn? If not and I wanted to test it with let's say photos should I just go to create data disc and add photos in excess of 25gb to see if they all fit in? And if I wanted to burn it with videos from my camera I see that if I go to video/movies it says create dvd's only. Is there a bd option if you upgrade, and if so can you do dl bd discs with it?

12 answers to this question

All new Blu-ray burners are DL Burners.

The early days of DVD suffered from a single layer burner until they made DL burners.

Bought a new dell comp and somehow they couldn't tell me if my bs burner is double layer or not (ordered dl). Anyway I wanted to test it, and see that creator starter came as software with it. I take it this is some form of lighter version of the creator 11 or a trial version? So wanted to know how exactly should I go about testing if my optical drive is double layer or not, as I don't want to waste a 50gb bd disc since it's pretty costly. Is there some sort of limit with the starter, as to the amount you can burn? If not and I wanted to test it with let's say photos should I just go to create data disc and add photos in excess of 25gb to see if they all fit in? And if I wanted to burn it with videos from my camera I see that if I go to video/movies it says create dvd's only. Is there a bd option if you upgrade, and if so can you do dl bd discs with it?

What do you mean that Dell could not tell you what kind of burner you have? :blink:

Go to Windows Device Manager. The burner should be listed there under CD/DVD ROM drives. Post the name here or go online to find its capability.

Creator starter is a teaser (castrated) piece of software. Get rid of it. Buy Creator 2011 Profrom Roxio direct on-line. You have a 30 day money back warranty.

What do you mean that Dell could not tell you what kind of burner you have? :blink:

Go to Windows Device Manager. The burner should be listed there under CD/DVD ROM drives. Post the name here or go online to find its capability.

Creator starter is a teaser (castrated) piece of software. Get rid of it. Buy Creator 2011 Profrom Roxio direct on-line. You have a 30 day money back warranty.

Yeah it was weird, but they said it only said blu ray burner on the spec list they have with everything the comp has.

It says hl-dt-st-re bh30n, so this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/401547/209615163-336818805/HL-DT-ST-LG-BH30N-12X-Blu-ray-Burner-Writer-Desktop-DVD-Drive.html lg one comes up? It does say double layered there.

All new Blu-ray burners are DL Burners.

The early days of DVD suffered from a single layer burner until they made DL burners.

I'm pretty sure they sell one that is not dl, or that's what they said when I asked them if it is.

Tell us the drive ID string.

Mine is the Pioneer listed.

I have never heard of a single layer BD burner!

post-97-034519900 1298225622.jpg

Tell us the drive ID string.

Mine is the Pioneer listed.

I have never heard of a single layer BD burner!

post-97-034519900 1298225622.jpg

It's BH30N.

Also, what's the diff between rw and re (they're both rewritable no?)

Edited by Kopfrkingl

There is no difference and it is a LG Drive and does burn BD-R & BD-RE DL Disc's.

Do you see that in the pic and link I posted to Dell's site?

There is no difference and it is a LG Drive and does burn BD-R & BD-RE DL Disc's.

Do you see that in the pic and link I posted to Dell's site?

Yeah I saw ir, the link I found when I googled it said dl too so I figured it was either way.

So is there a difference between re and rw?

Yeah I saw ir, the link I found when I googled it said dl too so I figured it was either way.

So is there a difference between re and rw?

RW is a rewritable disc for DVD and CD.

RE is a rewritable disc for Blu-ray media.

RW is a rewritable disc for DVD and CD.

RE is a rewritable disc for Blu-ray media.

Yours says BD-RW mine says BD-RE, is there a reason for labeling some bd-rw and bd-re?

Yours says BD-RW mine says BD-RE, is there a reason for labeling some bd-rw and bd-re?

I'm not responsible for naming the Pioneer and LG Drive ID String!

Remember a BD Drive still burns all the other formats in the pic I posted from Dell's site.