• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I Bought A Vhs/dvd Player..how Do I Get My Hvs Movie Into My Computer?

leeannab

Question

So I have Roxio 2-11. I bought a vhs/dvd player/recorder. Hooked the vhs up to my desktop via the usb port2.0, found it properly installed at the device section of my computer. BUT, how do I download or whatever the word is to get the home movie from my vhs into my computer so I can put the movie onto a DVD? I know how to transfer pics from my camera, but so far this isnt working the same. HELP!

4 answers to this question

So I have Roxio 2-11. I bought a vhs/dvd player/recorder. Hooked the vhs up to my desktop via the usb port2.0, found it properly installed at the device section of my computer. BUT, how do I download or whatever the word is to get the home movie from my vhs into my computer so I can put the movie onto a DVD? I know how to transfer pics from my camera, but so far this isnt working the same. HELP!

You are trying to capture from an analog source so you will need to use an analog to digital (A/D) converter. A straight connection via USB won't work. You would need something likethis (link). If you have an analog to digital capture device, you can use it with the software that came with it. Chances are that it will not work with the Creator 2011.

Have you considered recording the vhs tape to a DVD with that recorder then putting the disc into your computer and copying the disc to a folder on your computer? You will have to read your vhs/dvd manual to see what kinds of disc it can make. What vhs/dvd recorder did you buy? Perhaps we can help if you post that information.

Sorry, I know that is not what you wanted to hear.

I do have the converter, it came with the Roxio program. Now that I am looking at my VHS/DVD player, it may not have the recoding capabilities from VHS to DVD in the machine, so I am re-reading the manual, no luck so far. So now it is even more important to me to figure this out.

I do have the converter, it came with the Roxio program. Now that I am looking at my VHS/DVD player, it may not have the recoding capabilities from VHS to DVD in the machine, so I am re-reading the manual, no luck so far. So now it is even more important to me to figure this out.

What is the Name & Model # of your VHS/DVD machine.?

If you have the device, did you install the drivers for it when you installed the Roxio program?

Come out of the VHS (back). There should be two or three jacks; yellow white and red. Run a wire from the yellow to the yellow of the capture device. The same for the red and white. If you don't have the red and white, you may have one stereo plug. Come out of that to a "Y" and then to the capture device. Plug the capture device into a USB port on the back side of your computer (if you have one there). Turn on the VHS and pause it. Open "Capture Video". Select the device from the drop down. You should see a signal. Use the options to select the format, make sure the audio is not muted, etc.

Select to capture and then start the VHS player. Go from there. Edit the video in "Edit Video- Advanced."

Hint: capture in 20 to thirty minute segments. Make sure you have cleaned your hard drive and defragged it. Capture as AVI if you have several Gigs of free hard disc space since it will give you easier capture and editing. Capture as mpg2 if you don't have the space. Watch for dropped frames. Any stops in the VHS tape will cause the program to see that as the end and stop. You will have to start the capture after it stops.

If, when you open "Capture Video" you have a problem or you cannot see the capture device, then you may not have loaded the drivers for the device.

Post back here how you make out.

Please post your computer specs so that if you do have problems, we know what you are working with.

Archived