• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vw - Improving Resolution Of Internal Text On Color Panels

HappyBob

Question

When making a videowave production, I add a color panel with internal text to introduce the next series of stills or video.

Generally I've been disappointed in the clarity of the text when subsequently displayed on large screen. The edges of the characters seem pixelated. Fonts are much cleaner/clearer using powerpoint for example.

Is there some trick to improving the resolution and or dpi of internal track VW panels? At some in the past I had the impression that color panels (and the text contained) were fairly low resolution.

Thanks

15 answers to this question

The resolution of the source image doesn't matter, the final resolution on a standard DVD will be 720x480. It doesn't matter if the source is 320x240 or 4000x3000.

My fault Walt, I misinterpreted your statement above....

So my rule of thumb should be, where ever possible try to get photos, scans, videos in 720x480, anything above that is a waste of effort if the final output is intended to be standard DVD.

Steve, I will definately check out the link on display resolution.

Thanks again for all your help,

My fault Walt, I misinterpreted your statement above....

So my rule of thumb should be, where ever possible try to get photos, scans, videos in 720x480, anything above that is a waste of effort if the final output is intended to be standard DVD.

Steve, I will definately check out the link on display resolution.

Thanks again for all your help,

There is no rule of thumb. It depends all on what you want to do with your images. If your want to do any zooming, etc you will want much higher resolution. All I was saying is that the final DVD resolution will be 720x480 no matter what the source. In no way did I mean that all your photos, scans etc should be at that resolution.

There is no rule of thumb. It depends all on what you want to do with your images. If your want to do any zooming, etc you will want much higher resolution. All I was saying is that the final DVD resolution will be 720x480 no matter what the source. In no way did I mean that all your photos, scans etc should be at that resolution.

Right again, I hadn't thought about zooming and other things that might require higher source resolution.

That's why you guys are the gurus, helping novices like myself stay on track.

Thanks for all the input!

Hi Sknis,

I haven't figured out how to capture from CineMagic yet, but will work on it.

In the meanwhile what I did do was create three powerpoint slides and saved them as jpgs. Then using Videowave, created the same slide with text added to internal tracks and then added the powerpoint jpgs. Saved the resultant VW production and used it in MyDVD to create a DVD. Playing the DVD the powerpoint versions looked just as bad as the VW panels.

If I use a wall projector to display the powerpoint (from powerpoint) the fonts are crisp and clear. If I project the DVD from MyDVD, they look fussy, shadowly and the color intensity is not uniform within the character.

I'm wondering if this is the impact of encoding. (Obviously the powerpoint shows do not envolve any encoding).

What are your thoughts?

Hi Sknis,

I haven't figured out how to capture from CineMagic yet, but will work on it.

In the meanwhile what I did do was create three powerpoint slides and saved them as jpgs. Then using Videowave, created the same slide with text added to internal tracks and then added the powerpoint jpgs. Saved the resultant VW production and used it in MyDVD to create a DVD. Playing the DVD the powerpoint versions looked just as bad as the VW panels.

If I use a wall projector to display the powerpoint (from powerpoint) the fonts are crisp and clear. If I project the DVD from MyDVD, they look fussy, shadowly and the color intensity is not uniform within the character.

I'm wondering if this is the impact of encoding. (Obviously the powerpoint shows do not envolve any encoding).

What are your thoughts?

Read skni's last post - he told you why you will never get the quality of the original image when you create a DVD.

Read skni's last post - he told you why you will never get the quality of the original image when you create a DVD.

I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to as to the "why". I guess I'm missing the point somewhere. What I believe he said was : "The resolution of the preview in VideoWave is lower resolution. If you are making a standard DVD, then the image is 720 by 480."

Obviously when I make a color panel with internal text tracks the only thing I see is the 'VW preview' panel. I have no clue what the resolution of that panel is. Do you know what the resolution might be?

I thought that Sknis's suggestion to make a jpg image of a powerpoint panel and insert that into the VW production was a good idea. At least I would know what the resolution was of the original "photo". The natural resolution of the powerpoint generated image is 960x720.

Yes, I am trying to make a standard DVD.

I guess what I'm looking for is some suggestions about fonts or character outlines or some other techniques that users have found to work well, giving sharp, crisp characters within VW. Perhaps the contrast between the character color and the panel color?

You guys know soooo much more about what can and can't be done with VW than I, that's why I ask. Just trying to learn to be a better user.

Thanks for the time,

I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to as to the "why". I guess I'm missing the point somewhere. What I believe he said was : "The resolution of the preview in VideoWave is lower resolution. If you are making a standard DVD, then the image is 720 by 480."

Obviously when I make a color panel with internal text tracks the only thing I see is the 'VW preview' panel. I have no clue what the resolution of that panel is. Do you know what the resolution might be?

I thought that Sknis's suggestion to make a jpg image of a powerpoint panel and insert that into the VW production was a good idea. At least I would know what the resolution was of the original "photo". The natural resolution of the powerpoint generated image is 960x720.

Yes, I am trying to make a standard DVD.

I guess what I'm looking for is some suggestions about fonts or character outlines or some other techniques that users have found to work well, giving sharp, crisp characters within VW. Perhaps the contrast between the character color and the panel color?

You guys know soooo much more about what can and can't be done with VW than I, that's why I ask. Just trying to learn to be a better user.

Thanks for the time,

The resolution of the source image doesn't matter, the final resolution on a standard DVD will be 720x480. It doesn't matter if the source is 320x240 or 4000x3000.

The preview window also is no indication of the final DVD version.

Steve suggested that you ”Take a power point slide and save it as an image file”… Then use that Image File in a short production so you can see that alongside a the text from Roxio.

If you run Power Point and then run your Roxio Production you test Nothing!

The test is by placing what you think is better into the very same format as what you don’t like… Now you are playing Apples to Apples;)

Capture from CinePlayer???

First page of the Help File:

post-39730-083839100 1298461584.jpg

Hi Guys,

Really... thanks for the help!

I've been operating on the mistaken belief that the quality of the source DID matter ! But Walt's comment: " The resolution of the source image doesn't matter, the final resolution on a standard DVD will be 720x480. It doesn't matter if the source is 320x240 or 4000x3000.", changes that notion.

Jim, I did what Steve had suggested, that is created a powerpoint slide, save it as a jpg (also tried tif) then placed that image (960x720) into a VW production along side of a VW Color panel with an internal track of the same text (font etc). From that VW production I was able to compare the quality of the two "sources" in the final DVD.

The conclusion I came to was that their was no significant improvement with the powerpoint image. In fact, the powerpoint panel didn't look quite as good as the VW panel. All other things being equal, this would support the notion that the resolution of the source does not matter.

Jim, Thanks for the quidance on Cineplayer. I'll grab a capture this afternoon.

Thanks for your patience with the newbie!

Nice caps!

Where PP will shine is if you can project it in a higher resolution, say 1920 X 1080 (Blu-ray) or higher… It would strictly depend on your Projector and not so much your PC or Source...

Then the PP projection would exceed the basic quality of a DVD, which is always 720 X 480 max.

So you may want to play a little and see if you can put your video into PP so that your Projector can take advantage of higher screen resolution???

When making a videowave production, I add a color panel with internal text to introduce the next series of stills or video.

Generally I've been disappointed in the clarity of the text when subsequently displayed on large screen. The edges of the characters seem pixelated. Fonts are much cleaner/clearer using powerpoint for example.

Is there some trick to improving the resolution and or dpi of internal track VW panels? At some in the past I had the impression that color panels (and the text contained) were fairly low resolution.

Thanks

Can you read it? How much text have you added and are you using any text effects?

Post a screen shot of the color panel of the DVD. You can play it in CineMagic and capture the frame. The resolution of the preview in VideoWave is lower resolution. If you are making a standard DVD, then the image is 720 by 480. You are not making a video with PowerPoint so it can be much higher resolution.

Take a power point slide and save it as an image file and then add it into Video Wave. Output the image as a video file mpg2 best quality. How does it look?

Nice caps!

Where PP will shine is if you can project it in a higher resolution, say 1920 X 1080 (Blu-ray) or higher… It would strictly depend on your Projector and not so much your PC or Source...

Then the PP projection would exceed the basic quality of a DVD, which is always 720 X 480 max.

So you may want to play a little and see if you can put your video into PP so that your Projector can take advantage of higher screen resolution???

Jim: I'm attempting to learn as I go. I have had good sucess with inserting mpgs into PP. If I remember correctly I imported a video_ts into VW, edited to the little snippet that I needed (about 10 sec.) and output to a Mpeg. I then inserted the mpeg into a powerpoint production. The powerpoint was played (via computer) to a projector and was shown on a 15 foot by 10 foot screen. I was very pleased with the result. (of course it was a "moving" picture so the edges of an object were not stationary like those of a text character are, consequently hard to take a really critical view).

You bring up a element that I have glossed over, that of the projection quality of the projector, and how that works with the capabilities of the graphics card in the computer and the quality of the source image. I fear this may result in my head blowing up!

I'm still pondering how the same photo taken at two different resolutions (240x160, and 3900x2600) will look the same in a DVD at 720x480. If that's the case then I should not take photos at greater than 800x600 for use in standard DVD's. Is that a correct conclusion, that I wouldn't use anymore than a 1 Meg camera?

Thanks again, really appreciate your (and the rest of the guy's) insights.

Jim: I'm attempting to learn as I go. I have had good sucess with inserting mpgs into PP. If I remember correctly I imported a video_ts into VW, edited to the little snippet that I needed (about 10 sec.) and output to a Mpeg. I then inserted the mpeg into a powerpoint production. The powerpoint was played (via computer) to a projector and was shown on a 15 foot by 10 foot screen. I was very pleased with the result. (of course it was a "moving" picture so the edges of an object were not stationary like those of a text character are, consequently hard to take a really critical view).

You bring up a element that I have glossed over, that of the projection quality of the projector, and how that works with the capabilities of the graphics card in the computer and the quality of the source image. I fear this may result in my head blowing up!

I'm still pondering how the same photo taken at two different resolutions (240x160, and 3900x2600) will look the same in a DVD at 720x480. If that's the case then I should not take photos at greater than 800x600 for use in standard DVD's. Is that a correct conclusion, that I wouldn't use anymore than a 1 Meg camera?

This is a good article to read about display resolution. I agree that the 240 by 160 won't look as good as a 720 by 480 (standard definition TV) but I would argue that a 720 by 480 image and a 39000 by 2600 image will look the same since they would both be the same 720 by 480 in the finished product. There is no need to take or scan an image higher than the 720 by 480. In fact, a 200 dpi scan is all that is needed. (Cjeck your scanner).

Oh. by the way, what size screen - A standard definition on a small TV can look better than the same resolution on a gigantic screen TV (or projector).

There are many other factors involved including the eye (and prejudice) of the beholder.

Now don't confuse printed image quality and video image quality.

This statement is wrong: "I'm still pondering how the same photo taken at two different resolutions (240x160, and 3900x2600) will look the same in a DVD at 720x480" The lower res picture will look a lot worse then the high res photo when both are converted to 720x480.

Archived