Black Screen After Transitions

nan8

Question

I burned a DVD with with several movies on it using videowave. My DVD burns fine, but when I play it on my TV, after the transitions on the pictures the screen turns black and it takes a very long time to show the next picture. It's gone from bad to worse because now the same thing is happening on the other movies from the same DVD and it was only in one of the movies. I already tried changing the transitions in videowave, I already re-did the slideshow I was having trouble with and I already burned like 5 copies of the same DVD. I don't know what to do I did not have problems before. What can I do? I have Windows 7

9 answers to this question

First of all, a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at eth best quality (HQ) setting. Since your video project is over 1 hour long there has to be compression applied to have the video fit on the DVD. Unfortunately you chose the worst setting possible: "Fit-to-disc". It does a very poor job of compressing the video, in fact, it seems to overcompress resulting in all sorts of problems. Just for curiosity, how much of the DVD is used?

Perhaps you can use the next lower (to HQ) setting to burn and see if that eliminates the problems.

Another option: in myDVD select the HQ setting and then in the Burn Window uncheck the "burn to disc" option and select the "create image" file option and then burn. A file will be created with the extension "iso", remember where it is located. After this part is finished, exit myDVD and launch the program "Burn image to disc". Navigate to where the iso file is located and select it to burn to DVD. This burning program does a much better job of encoding to fit on the DVD.

BTW, after creating the iso file you can also play that file to see if there are any problems before burning to a DVD. Download and install the free video player "VLC", then drag and drop the iso file on the VLC icon on your desktop. It should play just like a regular DVD.

Another source of problems is the render setting you are using. In the Tool/Options menu switch the render setting to the other setting (from hardware to software or the other way)

thank you so much! I will try all those things you said..Today while I tried burning another copy, one of them came out great! I had no problems with it, the pictures came out like they were supposed to..but then again when I burned another copy I had the same problem with the pictures..but as soon as I can I will try what you said

thanks!

thank you so much! I will try all those things you said..Today while I tried burning another copy, one of them came out great! I had no problems with it, the pictures came out like they were supposed to..but then again when I burned another copy I had the same problem with the pictures..but as soon as I can I will try what you said

thanks!

If you created a folder set or an Image file and the first one came out great then all you have to do is use the application on the home page to burn as many copies as you wish.

If you did use that application and the images came out black, then there is a hardware problem and not software. Perhaps some bad discs or to high a burn speed.

Take one of those bad discs to a friend's house and try playing it on their DVD player or simply play it on your computer to see if there are black images.

Please let us know, we love a mystery ! ;)

If you created a folder set or an Image file and the first one came out great then all you have to do is use the application on the home page to burn as many copies as you wish.

If you did use that application and the images came out black, then there is a hardware problem and not software. Perhaps some bad discs or to high a burn speed.

Take one of those bad discs to a friend's house and try playing it on their DVD player or simply play it on your computer to see if there are black images.

Please let us know, we love a mystery ! ;)

I TRIED SAVING IT AS AN IMAGE FILE THEN I BURNED THE DVD AND IT WORKED!!!! :) :) :) :) :) I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THE PICTURES NO MORE :) HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE LIKE THIS FOREVER :)

I burned a DVD with with several movies on it using videowave. My DVD burns fine, but when I play it on my TV, after the transitions on the pictures the screen turns black and it takes a very long time to show the next picture. It's gone from bad to worse because now the same thing is happening on the other movies from the same DVD and it was only in one of the movies. I already tried changing the transitions in videowave, I already re-did the slideshow I was having trouble with and I already burned like 5 copies of the same DVD. I don't know what to do I did not have problems before. What can I do? I have Windows 7

Does the DVD play well on your computer using CineMagic or the free VLC player? If so, look to your DVD player; try a different one.

Post you computer specs especially your video card.

Get rid of any Memorex or cheap store brand DVDs and start using good ones.

HOw long in time is the total video project? What quality setting are you using when burning the DVD?

I have no idea what this means: "now the same thing is happening on the other movies from the same DVD and it was only in one of the movies"

I assume you used Videowave (Edit video -advanced) to create the slideshow.

Does the DVD play well on your computer using CineMagic or the free VLC player? If so, look to your DVD player; try a different one.

Hello!

I dont know where to get my video card info. I went to control panel but couldn't find anything (didn't know where to exactly go to).

As for the DVD brand I am using Sony DVD+R. I've been using that brand for a while and never had a problem before.

HOw long in time is the total video project? What quality setting are you using when burning the DVD?

I have no idea what this means: "now the same thing is happening on the other movies from the same DVD and it was only in one of the movies"

I assume you used Videowave (Edit video -advanced) to create the slideshow.

Yes I used videowave to create the entire project. The entire thing is about an hour fifteen minutes because its mainly pictures. Quality setting is FIT TO DISC.

"Now the same thing is happening on the other movies from the same DVD and it was only in one of the movies" I meant that since in that DVD I had several movies in them with photo slideshows fallowing the movies, I only had a problem with the movie that only had photo slideshows no video, but now after I burned the last DVD of that same project I noticed that in one of the other movies that contains some video and pictures those pictures (some) are also black now too.

thanks!

OH AS FOR THE DVD PLAYING THE PICTURES STILL SHOW IN BLACK IN CINEMAGIC AND WINDOWS PLAYER

Yes I used videowave to create the entire project. The entire thing is about an hour fifteen minutes because its mainly pictures. Quality setting is FIT TO DISC.

"Now the same thing is happening on the other movies from the same DVD and it was only in one of the movies" I meant that since in that DVD I had several movies in them with photo slideshows fallowing the movies, I only had a problem with the movie that only had photo slideshows no video, but now after I burned the last DVD of that same project I noticed that in one of the other movies that contains some video and pictures those pictures (some) are also black now too.

thanks!

First of all, a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at eth best quality (HQ) setting. Since your video project is over 1 hour long there has to be compression applied to have the video fit on the DVD. Unfortunately you chose the worst setting possible: "Fit-to-disc". It does a very poor job of compressing the video, in fact, it seems to overcompress resulting in all sorts of problems. Just for curiosity, how much of the DVD is used?

Perhaps you can use the next lower (to HQ) setting to burn and see if that eliminates the problems.

Another option: in myDVD select the HQ setting and then in the Burn Window uncheck the "burn to disc" option and select the "create image" file option and then burn. A file will be created with the extension "iso", remember where it is located. After this part is finished, exit myDVD and launch the program "Burn image to disc". Navigate to where the iso file is located and select it to burn to DVD. This burning program does a much better job of encoding to fit on the DVD.

BTW, after creating the iso file you can also play that file to see if there are any problems before burning to a DVD. Download and install the free video player "VLC", then drag and drop the iso file on the VLC icon on your desktop. It should play just like a regular DVD.

Another source of problems is the render setting you are using. In the Tool/Options menu switch the render setting to the other setting (from hardware to software or the other way)

Archived