Sound Editor

outerbank

Question

The problems with Creator 2011 just don't seem to stop. Record Audio is opened in Sound Editor. The "Capture From" box is completely blank. In otherwords, it's not possible to select a source, and it's not possible to type in a source. At the "Input" box the only choice available is "Line Volume". Is it no longer possible to capture audio using the sound card on a computer and the music tracks saved on a computer in Win Media Player? Have searched the forum and the Creator 2011 User Manual, but did not find any info regarding this. What am I missing? Doesn't Sound Editor automatically detect what sound card is available on the computer? By the way, the sound card is enabled.

That's the problem. Clicking on Capture From: doesn't work. All that's there is a blue bar in the box where Realtek should appear. Clicking on the down arrow results in a blank box. There are no other choices. Worse yet, I've just gone through Complete Uninstall and reisntall of Roxio Creator 2011, following the Roxio tech person's instructions and follwoing KB000274CR and KB000206CR. And yes, my anti-virus software was disabled. I'm beginning to believe there's might be something wrong with the install disc. The source of the music track is from Win Media Player. When you write that my OS is set incorrectly, what does that mean? Can you explain? The Realtek icon appears in the task tray at the bottom right corner of the screen.

As it happens, the recent post did attract my attention because of the inability of Roxio's Sound Editor on my computer from recognizing the RealTek on-board audio device when attempting to record audio in this program. The RealTek audio device on my computer does not offer 5.1 surround sound. Consequently, the only choice available is the 2 speaker setup. In any event, I rediscovered that even though Roxio Sound Editor does not show the RealTek audio device (or anything else other than USB when plugging in the Roxio capture device) in the "Capture From" dialogue box, it does record audio. Since it had been over a year since last using the Roxio Sound Editor to record an audio track, I had forgotten that the sound editor just does not show the RealTek audio device in the Capture From box. My bad. But that's what happens when you get, Ahem...more mature (older). Some refer to it as CRS. Will attempt to resolve this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Creator 2011.

The problems with Creator 2011 just don't seem to stop. Record Audio is opened in Sound Editor. The "Capture From" box is completely blank. In otherwords, it's not possible to select a source, and it's not possible to type in a source. At the "Input" box the only choice available is "Line Volume". Is it no longer possible to capture audio using the sound card on a computer and the music tracks saved on a computer in Win Media Player? Have searched the forum and the Creator 2011 User Manual, but did not find any info regarding this. What am I missing? Doesn't Sound Editor automatically detect what sound card is available on the computer? By the way, the sound card is enabled.

Same sound hardware, problem cleared by changing from 5.1 Surround to Stereo 2 Speaker setup. Roxio 2011 does not recagonize the out put of the 5.1 hardware (Don't forget to change back after recording).

That's the problem. Clicking on Capture From: doesn't work. All that's there is a blue bar in the box where Realtek should appear. Clicking on the down arrow results in a blank box. There are no other choices. Worse yet, I've just gone through Complete Uninstall and reisntall of Roxio Creator 2011, following the Roxio tech person's instructions and follwoing KB000274CR and KB000206CR. And yes, my anti-virus software was disabled. I'm beginning to believe there's might be something wrong with the install disc. The source of the music track is from Win Media Player. When you write that my OS is set incorrectly, what does that mean? Can you explain? The Realtek icon appears in the task tray at the bottom right corner of the screen.

You said "The source of the music track is from Win Media Player"

If you already have the music on your computer, why are you trying to capture it again? :o:blink: You capture from a tape deck, or a turntable or from the internet. If the music is alreay digital, you rip from a CD or DVD.

You said "When you write that my OS is set incorrectly, what does that mean? Can you explain? The Realtek icon appears in the task tray at the bottom right corner of the screen."

Right click on that icon. You will get a dialog. Look for Recording device and enable it and select it as a default. YOu are using XP so I can't show you an image for that operating system. Check Microsoft for help or check your computer manual.

The reason for wanting to record the music track from Windows Media Player is irrelevant to the problem at hand. The fact remains that it is not possible to use the "Capture From" box because Sound Editor is not connecting to the Realtek audio device. Roxio tech support is equally perplexed as to why Sound Editor does not recognize this on-board audio device. They've kicked the problem up to a higher level. As to right clicking on the Realtek icon in the task window to enable this device, it is already enabled. I'm beginning to wonder if installing a separate sound card might be the soultion.

The reason for wanting to record the music track from Windows Media Player is irrelevant to the problem at hand. The fact remains that it is not possible to use the "Capture From" box because Sound Editor is not connecting to the Realtek audio device. Roxio tech support is equally perplexed as to why Sound Editor does not recognize this on-board audio device. They've kicked the problem up to a higher level. As to right clicking on the Realtek icon in the task window to enable this device, it is already enabled. I'm beginning to wonder if installing a separate sound card might be the soultion.

It is not irrelevant ! You must have an analog souce plugged into your Realtek device in order for it to be used (activated). You must have that external source playing and the device se3lected as the recoring device to see the bars move.

I did not say to enable the Realtek device, I said to enable your recording (capture) device.

Post a screen shot of your recoding device set up in XP !

Here is mine from Windows 7. You will be different but similar. Other people have had no issues with sound chips so I'm not recommending that you spend the extra money at this point. I would suggest that you update the drivers for the Realtak device.

Please post the screen shot.

post-58-001843500 1298589246.jpg

How about opening up Sound Editor on your computer, click on "Record Audio" and then tell me what you see in the box entitled "Capture From". I have Creator 2009 installed on my Dell computer. It has a SoundMax Digital Audio as the integrated audio device. When I open Sound Editor, click on "Record Audio", the "Capture From" box indicates SoundMAX Digital Audio. Sound Editor connects to SoundMAX. With Sound Editor in C2011 on my new computer which has Realtek, the "Capture From" box has nothing in it. Here's the screen shot I get after right clicking on the Realtek icon in the tray.

post-55944-050436300 1298591363.jpg

You are recording; you audio level is set too low. See the blue bars? They should be bounding into the red (far right).

You did not post what I asked you to. I want to see that you selected the right source in XP !

Stay with one computer. I can't understand what is the one you are having problems with.

The more responses I get the more confused I become. Move what slide where? See what screen shot in XP? I was asked to right click on the Realtek icon in the tray on the bottom right of the screen. I did that, and that's how it looks in the screen shot provided. Gees! I did not have Easy Media Creator on this computer. It's a new computer and it was a new install of Creator 2011. sknis...your screen shot after opening Sound Editor and clicking on Record is just what I'm trying to get across. Your Capture From window indicates the audio device on your computer. What did you have to do for Sound Editor to recognize this device? My screen shot of the same Record window doesn't show any audio device. See the blus bar? The problem has nothing to do with adjusting volume. The setting is all the way to max. In so far as selecting the right source, I'm sorry you will have to provide more of an explanation. I didn't have to perform this task with my Dell computer. Sound Editor found the audio device with my doing anything. sknis as your screen shot indicates, your "Capture From" indicates Line-in (SBX-Fi XtremeAudio). This same box is solid blue. Clicking the down arrow, it becomes blank.

Sorry I'm late to the party guy's. :rolleyes:

I had to find my XP Drive, place it in the hot swap drive bay, boot into it and reload a image, then install C2011 on that XP Image.

Hope these screen shots will help you two sort things out, C2011 installed on XP. :)

post-97-044493800 1298601174.jpg

post-97-012802000 1298601175.jpg

post-97-078443300 1298601175.jpg

post-97-059668400 1298601176.jpg

post-97-040739900 1298601177.jpg

Sorry, but none of what is shown in the last few screen shots do I get. As decribed previously, the "Capture From" box remains dark blue. Nor do I see the same things in the Sound and Audio Properties window. Will just wait until Roxio tech support gets back to me. In any event, thanks to al that tried to help.

The Realtek audio drivers were uninstalled and reinstalled as suggested. This did not solve the problem with Sound Editor. Sound Editor still does not recognize the Realtek audio card. I've been communicating with Roxio tech support on this matter also. Have performed a couple of different tasks recommended by tech support, including uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers. Nothing has worked. Of course, the latest Roxio recommendation is to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of Creator2011. This will be the fourth uninstall/reinstall to solve different problems. I'll try this one more time....and hope that some other program within the Creator 2011 software suite doesn't get screwed up in the process. My patience is wearing thin.

Anyone else have any ideas about how to correct the Sound Editor problem, short of uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks CD. You showed just what I was asking outerbank to show with the last two images. He still has not shown that he has the recording device set up correctly. Until he does that, no one will be able to believe that it is set correctly so that they can look for a potential real problem.

Could you tell him how to get to the Sounds and Audio Device Set up page using XP?

BY the way, the volume slider is mismarked inb the middle image. The pointer is to the Left/right balance control. The volume control is the horizontal one just to the left of the "auto" button.

Again, thanks cd.

It looks like outerbank will wait for Roxio support rather than continue to trouble shoot here.

How about opening up Sound Editor on your computer, click on "Record Audio" and then tell me what you see in the box entitled "Capture From". I have Creator 2009 installed on my Dell computer. It has a SoundMax Digital Audio as the integrated audio device. When I open Sound Editor, click on "Record Audio", the "Capture From" box indicates SoundMAX Digital Audio. Sound Editor connects to SoundMAX. With Sound Editor in C2011 on my new computer which has Realtek, the "Capture From" box has nothing in it. Here's the screen shot I get after right clicking on the Realtek icon in the tray.

What screen do you get, if you double click on that icon, in the tray?

If I double click on the icon in the tray the window that opens is the same as the screen shot I posted yesterday. The one showing the Realtek operating panel. However, I am pleased to report that record in Sound Editor now works. As explained to Roxio tech support in a reply, I shut down the computer to do some errands. Came back a couple of hours later, booted up the computer to try once again to see if it worked and it did. I have absolutely no idea how or why the problem has gone away. Recorded two music tracks from Win Media Player this morning, in fact just finished up after making some changes to the second track. I forgot to include that the Record Audio menu still does not show the realtek audio device in the Capture From box. It is greyed out now.

If I double click on the icon in the tray the window that opens is the same as the screen shot I posted yesterday. The one showing the Realtek operating panel. However, I am pleased to report that record in Sound Editor now works. As explained to Roxio tech support in a reply, I shut down the computer to do some errands. Came back a couple of hours later, booted up the computer to try once again to see if it worked and it did. I have absolutely no idea how or why the problem has gone away. Recorded two music tracks from Win Media Player this morning, in fact just finished up after making some changes to the second track. I forgot to include that the Record Audio menu still does not show the realtek audio device in the Capture From box. It is greyed out now.

Try rebooting again.

I've shut down and rebooted the computer at least twice since recording those two music tracks. Nothing has changed in terms of what window I get after right clicking on the Realtek icon in the tray. Plus Sound Editor continues to work okay. I guess that's the beast of the Realtek audio device. I continue to wonder why the Capture From box remains blank. Oh well, they say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, whatever that means.

Archived