• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

When I Click Record, The Capture Is Choppy And Jittery

ShankarG

Question

Converting all of my home movies from camcorder -> MPEGs on my computer. I have done (successfully) over 60 videos (and I do love this product). Here's my problem: when I watch it in record, edit, and save mode the picture in the My Video window is coming very clear and perfect, just as it is in on the camcorder screen. As soon as I hit record, the picture on the computer becomes jittery and choppy.

My setup is: Sony Camcorder (DCR-TRV520) into Sony DVD-R/VHS combo input... Output of the DVD-R/VHS combo into the Roxio Video Capture USB into my laptop. Reason is the output of the camcorder is a single line for audio and the DVD-R/VHS combo splits it. The picture of my setup is attached. I have had the exact setup for the first successful 60 videos, so I know everything is okay. Once again, it does show up perfectly in the "My Video" window with perfect fluidity of video and audio. It's when I hit the record button it starts jumping around a bit.

What I have done:

I have defragged the HDD, I have plenty of available space (203GB), I have allocated high priority to the program via the task manager, I have disabled all startup items, I have tried Hardware and Software renderings which resulted in the same outcome, etc. Keep in mind that I have never had to do any of this in the past! I used to be able to multi-task during capture (I know that's a no-no, but they always came out perfect). I feel that my laptop is very capable and I have done no crazy installations, etc. on it recently. Here are some specs:

Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990

PerformanceProcessor*

Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T6500

Operating System*

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

Graphics Engine*

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

Memory and StorageMemory*

3GB DDR2 memory

Hard Drive*

320GB HDD (5400rpm)

Version of the software:

201B23A ENU

post-92763-064726800 1298583857.jpg

Edited by ShankarG

7 answers to this question

Converting all of my home movies from camcorder -> MPEGs on my computer. I have done (successfully) over 60 videos (and I do love this product). Here's my problem: when I watch it in record, edit, and save mode the picture in the My Video window is coming very clear and perfect, just as it is in on the camcorder screen. As soon as I hit record, the picture on the computer becomes jittery and choppy.

My setup is: Sony Camcorder (DCR-TRV520) into Sony DVD-R/VHS combo input... Output of the DVD-R/VHS combo into the Roxio Video Capture USB into my laptop. Reason is the output of the camcorder is a single line for audio and the DVD-R/VHS combo splits it. The picture of my setup is attached. I have had the exact setup for the first successful 60 videos, so I know everything is okay. Once again, it does show up perfectly in the "My Video" window with perfect fluidity of video and audio. It's when I hit the record button it starts jumping around a bit.

What I have done:

I have defragged the HDD, I have plenty of available space (203GB), I have allocated high priority to the program via the task manager, I have disabled all startup items, I have tried Hardware and Software renderings which resulted in the same outcome, etc. Keep in mind that I have never had to do any of this in the past! I used to be able to multi-task during capture (I know that's a no-no, but they always came out perfect). I feel that my laptop is very capable and I have done no crazy installations, etc. on it recently. Here are some specs:

Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990

PerformanceProcessor*

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6500

Operating System*

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

Graphics Engine*

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

Memory and StorageMemory*

3GB DDR2 memory

Hard Drive*

320GB HDD (5400rpm)

Version of the software:

201B23A ENU

Why are you not using the supplied audio/video cable to go from the camcorder to the Roxio USB capture device? It was designed just for such a use. There should be no reason to go thru the combo unit unless you are having signal problems.

The best capture method would be to use the i.Link but you propably do not have a Firewire port on your laptop to these this method.

Do you see this jerkyness only while capturing or is it also on the captured file? The preview indication is no indication of the final capture.

Did this jerkiness just start or has it always been there?

Hi - thanks for the response! The reason that I'm going via the combo unit is because the audio signal coming out of the camcorder is a mono signal (i.e. the camcorder takes a 1/8" jack that has one audio output and one video output). If I were to go directly to the USB Capture device, only one of the audio inputs would be in use thus one channel (which is reflected on the recording levels) would be captured. This way, the combo unit serves as a "splitter" for the audio signal. I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure. :)

Yes, I have tried capturing around a minute of video and then created the mpeg. The resulting mpeg is choppy and jerky and skips frames. Nope, I have never witnessed this jerkiness before. I have taken a break for around a few weeks since the last time I have used it and all of a sudden it seems as if my laptop is "struggling" as soon as I hit record.

I think based on the 'symptoms' everything is pointed to my laptop. I'm just not sure why. It has always outperformed in the past...

Thanks!

post-92763-018302600 1298603575.jpg

Edited by ShankarG

Hi - thanks for the response! The reason that I'm going via the combo unit is because the audio signal coming out of the camcorder is a mono signal (i.e. the camcorder takes a 1/8" jack that has one audio output and one video output). If I were to go directly to the USB Capture device, only one of the audio inputs would be in use thus one channel (which is reflected on the recording levels) would be captured. This way, the combo unit serves as a "splitter" for the audio signal. I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure. :)

Yes, I have tried capturing around a minute of video and then created the mpeg. The resulting mpeg is choppy and jerky and skips frames. Nope, I have never witnessed this jerkiness before. I have taken a break for around a few weeks since the last time I have used it and all of a sudden it seems as if my laptop is "struggling" as soon as I hit record.

I think based on the 'symptoms' everything is pointed to my laptop. I'm just not sure why. It has always outperformed in the past...

Thanks!

According to the manual Page 27) for that camcorder, it outputs in stereo and comes with a audio/video cables that has a yellow/red/white connectors and the 3-"pole" 1/8" coonector for the camcorder. If you are forcing the incorrect connector into the camcorder you may well have damaged the connection and that is why you are getting the "jittery" pictures.

Easy to test...

Unplug the camcorder and try a tape in the VHS Player. Alternalty, use a DVD Player to do a test capture with.

If it persists, then it is more likely the laptop.

Try different USB ports.

Update both the Video & Audio drivers, actually delete and reinstall them.

Run another install, only choose Repair.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried everything and also even restored my laptop to its initial state (i.e. factory defaults/driver defaults, formatted harddrive and everything). I installed the software again, and it still is coming in choppy from all USB ports, from the Camcorder, from the VCR/DVD Combo, every which way.

Again, when I view it prior to hitting record it's perfect on my laptop screen. When I hit record is when it starts acting up. It never has done that in the past and I was even able to multi-task heavily during the recording process a while back and it worked perfectly (I know that's a no-no, but still). I know my laptop is capable per the specs, just not sure what to do now... This has really put a standstill on my project and getting quite frustrating. Not sure if the answer is just to buy another laptop or something?

Thanks for your help - this forum has been great!

I am trying to record a VHS video from a VCR and I am using the red, white, and yellow audio/video connector wire.

When I view my video prior to hitting record it shows up perfect on my laptop screen. When I hit record the video hesitates every once in a while.

Did you figure this out?  Should I use a 4 Pin S-Video to 3 Male RCA Composite Video Cable instead.  Would that make the recording better?

Thank you,

Alena