• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audio CDs

jevernew

Question

I am trying to make cds from an audio book to play in my car cd player. I have burned music and played those CDs but I get an error message when attempting to play the audio book. The file type is CDFS, and I have no idea what that means. The file I tried to reproduce, from my HD, is mp3 format sound. These are not music files, so I cannot burn them as music, under the audio program, so I burned them as data files.

Would someone be so kind as to redirect my efforts. :)

13 answers to this question

I am trying to make cds from an audio book to play in my car cd player. I have burned music and played those CDs but I get an error message when attempting to play the audio book. The file type is CDFS, and I have no idea what that means. The file I tried to reproduce, from my HD, is mp3 format sound. These are not music files, so I cannot burn them as music, under the audio program, so I burned them as data files.

Would someone be so kind as to redirect my efforts. :)

MP3 files are audio files, it does not matter if they are music or simply spoken word. You burn them the same way as you burned the music.

The files may not be 'music', but the format is AUDIO CD. Burn the file just like a music file and it should work fine. Most Car CD players will not accept data CDs although some will accept MP3 CDs with a playlist which are data discs.

I have just tried a different burning program, Windows Media player, and the same thing occirred. I am at a loss to explain this. The data I am trying to burn is the King James Version of the Bible, and it is not protected content, and it is not in an unknown file format. I am using 700MB CD-R s , with great hardware and software on the PC.

In Music Disc Creator choose Audio CD for the project type.Then under "Add to Project" choose import from CD/DVD.Are you able to choose the tracks from your bible cd?If you can,choose them and they will be added to your project.Once you get them added hit "burn" and the disc will be created.If you are able to do all this,and it works,then you should be able to listen to the disc in any cd player.

If you already have the tracks as mp3 files on your harddrive then just use "Add Audio Tracks" instead of import and the process should work the same.

There are "music CDs" available but that message would not be from Roxio. My neighbor says they sound better but I can't really hear the difference. Are you sure that the message just didn't tell you to make a music CD (as opposed to data disc or other)?

Just use Sound editor. Add the tracks to the program and then "export" the clips as wav files to the location of your choice. This will do it as a batch so you can rearrange them on a CD later. Musci Disc Creator will do this automatically of you select 'Audio CD" and add the mp3 tracks to your project. Be careful about how many cuts you add. I'm not sure if the program accounts for the conversion properly if you do add both mp3 and wav files at the same time.

Well, here I am again. Here is a synopsis of what I have tried. Using Roxio RecordNow Premier, I burned what I thought was audio files to a CD, but not until I got the message that I had to use a different disk. I selected data, because I have read in other forums that digital is digital, and the information gets burned onto the CD as it appears. (Or words to that effect). The disk would play in my computer, but not the car.

Then, I converted some of the files to .wav, recorded them, and they played quite well on the car CD unit. Unfortunately, I only got the first five chapters of Genesis on the one CD, and ran out of space. Anyone have a cheap trailer for sale to haul the CDs in?

Then, I rumaged around in my junk bins, and found an older version of Roxio, ver 6. I thought I remembered it was pretty straightforward in doing this kind of project, so I installed it on an older PC, and away I went, burned the first two books of the old testament, and voila; It wouldn't play in the car, either.

I know I probably sound like a complete dunce, but I just can't seem to figure this out. I do know it is possible.

...... but if the discs are going to be a problem and you have a few $$, you can do one of several things to play mp3 discs in your car. Read this

Thank you all for the encouragement. For all of you who are familiar with the Bible, the contents take up approximately 7Gb of disk space in varying length books. I like the suggestions offered on CNET, one of my favorite websites. I will do more research.

In Music Disc Creator choose Audio CD for the project type.Then under "Add to Project" choose import from CD/DVD.Are you able to choose the tracks from your bible cd?If you can,choose them and they will be added to your project.Once you get them added hit "burn" and the disc will be created.If you are able to do all this,and it works,then you should be able to listen to the disc in any cd player.

If you already have the tracks as mp3 files on your harddrive then just use "Add Audio Tracks" instead of import and the process should work the same.

Thank you all for the responses. The last commentator suggested what I have already tried, and the disk would not play in the car, so I have to assume that my car cd deck is the culprit. One other thing. When I tried to use a regular CD-R to make the disk, it gave me an error message that I needed a music CD.

Again, thanks for all the effort.

Thank you all for the responses. The last commentator suggested what I have already tried, and the disk would not play in the car, so I have to assume that my car cd deck is the culprit. One other thing. When I tried to use a regular CD-R to make the disk, it gave me an error message that I needed a music CD.

Again, thanks for all the effort.

Does the CD you created play through a CD player in your computer system? IF yes then there was nothing wrong with creating the mp3 disc and you car player is not able to play mp3. In that case you will have to create a standard audio disc by burning converting the mp3 files to wav files and burning them to a CD.

I don't understand what you mean by " I needed a music CD" to make the disc. I have never heard of such media.

Well, here I am again. Here is a synopsis of what I have tried. Using Roxio RecordNow Premier, I burned what I thought was audio files to a CD, but not until I got the message that I had to use a different disk. I selected data, because I have read in other forums that digital is digital, and the information gets burned onto the CD as it appears. (Or words to that effect). The disk would play in my computer, but not the car.

Then, I converted some of the files to .wav, recorded them, and they played quite well on the car CD unit. Unfortunately, I only got the first five chapters of Genesis on the one CD, and ran out of space. Anyone have a cheap trailer for sale to haul the CDs in?

Then, I rumaged around in my junk bins, and found an older version of Roxio, ver 6. I thought I remembered it was pretty straightforward in doing this kind of project, so I installed it on an older PC, and away I went, burned the first two books of the old testament, and voila; It wouldn't play in the car, either.

I know I probably sound like a complete dunce, but I just can't seem to figure this out. I do know it is possible.

The only way you are going to get the audio tapes is to burn wav files to a CD. The information on a data CD and a audio CD may be digital but that does not mean they are the same thing. It does not matter what software you use you will never get a CD player (car or stand-alone) to play a data disc.

Jevernew,I don't understand what your problem is still.You were able to get the discs to play in your car.What you'll never be able to do is get them to play as an mp3 if your car player won't play them.

As far as space goes an audio cd goes by time-appox 80 min to a cd.An mp3 disc is a data disc and goes by space-appox 700Mb.An mp3 is a compressed file,when an audio cd is made they use wav files which are uncompressed.Even though if you look at an audio cd in Windows Explorer you will see .cda files the music is really a .wav file,the cda's are just pointers to where the wav files are on the disc.

With an audio cd you might get 20 tracks on a disc,depending on length of each track.With an mp3 disc you might get upwards of a hundred depending on the size of each track,which can be varied depending on the bit rate they are made at.

I guess what it comes down to is that if you want to play them in your car and it doesn't support mp3 files then you have to go with Audio cd's and the time restrictions imposed.If you play your book you can pretty well count on taking the time it takes to listen to it,divide by 80 and that'll tell you how many discs you're going to need.

Jevernew,I don't understand what your problem is still.You were able to get the discs to play in your car.What you'll never be able to do is get them to play as an mp3 if your car player won't play them.

As far as space goes an audio cd goes by time-appox 80 min to a cd.An mp3 disc is a data disc and goes by space-appox 700Mb.An mp3 is a compressed file,when an audio cd is made they use wav files which are uncompressed.Even though if you look at an audio cd in Windows Explorer you will see .cda files the music is really a .wav file,the cda's are just pointers to where the wav files are on the disc.

With an audio cd you might get 20 tracks on a disc,depending on length of each track.With an mp3 disc you might get upwards of a hundred depending on the size of each track,which can be varied depending on the bit rate they are made at.

I guess what it comes down to is that if you want to play them in your car and it doesn't support mp3 files then you have to go with Audio cd's and the time restrictions imposed.If you play your book you can pretty well count on taking the time it takes to listen to it,divide by 80 and that'll tell you how many discs you're going to need.

...... but if the discs are going to be a problem and you have a few $$, you can do one of several things to play mp3 discs in your car. Read this

Does the CD you created play through a CD player in your computer system? IF yes then there was nothing wrong with creating the mp3 disc and you car player is not able to play mp3. In that case you will have to create a standard audio disc by burning converting the mp3 files to wav files and burning them to a CD.

I don't understand what you mean by " I needed a music CD" to make the disc. I have never heard of such media.

That was the error message Roxio came up with. Can you tell me a good program to convert MP3 files to wave files.

That was the error message Roxio came up with. Can you tell me a good program to convert MP3 files to wave files.

There are "music CDs" available but that message would not be from Roxio. My neighbor says they sound better but I can't really hear the difference. Are you sure that the message just didn't tell you to make a music CD (as opposed to data disc or other)?

Just use Sound editor. Add the tracks to the program and then "export" the clips as wav files to the location of your choice. This will do it as a batch so you can rearrange them on a CD later. Musci Disc Creator will do this automatically of you select 'Audio CD" and add the mp3 tracks to your project. Be careful about how many cuts you add. I'm not sure if the program accounts for the conversion properly if you do add both mp3 and wav files at the same time.

Archived