• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Camcorder To Mac Compatabilty

Dancingate

Question

3 answers to this question

This isn't what you need. It is for analog sources and it would be silly to play the video from your camcorder as standard-definition analog so this device could digitize it. You should be able to directly transfer the video via a USB connection into the recent versions of iMovie. If not, go to the iMovie forum at Apple's Discussion groups to either read how others are doing this or to start your own thread.

Thanks for the advice. I got onto Apple Help and although iMovie 09 connects via a USB 2.0 cable my camcorder records in AVCHD format so is only compatible with Intel processor Macs. So I need a new Mac or a camcorder with a firewire connection. Bummer!

Thanks for the advice. I got onto Apple Help and although iMovie 09 connects via a USB 2.0 cable my camcorder records in AVCHD format so is only compatible with Intel processor Macs. So I need a new Mac or a camcorder with a firewire connection. Bummer!

The camcorders with Firewire are usually standard-definition DV camcorders. I though I read something about your camcorder where the video can be transferred in the camera to a SDHC card. If so, that probably could be copied to the Mac using a SD-card reader. I've also read that some cameras will appear as an external drive in the Finder when connected by USB and the camera is turned on to play mode. That certainly is true for my digital still cameras. You might check the settings in the camcorder as to what it is supposed to do when connected to a computer. Then again, a new Mac is a wonderful thing to have.

Archived