• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 10 Chapter Menus

uufilms

Question

Hi, all,

I'm new to Toast - having moved here as my work has evolved from SD to HD. I am a long-time FCP user and was quite happy with DVD Studio Pro, except, of course, it doesn't do Blu-Ray. But the menus in DVDSP are fantastic - film clip backgrounds, audio, automatically picking up FCP chapter markers, etc.

My first look at Toast 10 - and subsequently reading through this forum and others - tells me that Toast does not do even a half-way decent job of menu authoring. Can anybody tell me if I am missing something important? I am bringing over a 63-minute film as H.264 from Compressor. The film has 8 Chapter markers embedded in it, including the one at time zero. How close to a good DVDSP menu can I come in Toast?

Thanks for any help,

Ron

3 answers to this question

Toast's menus are very basic. There is a title menu and an optional scene menu. The title menu can have text descriptions along with the thumbnail buttons but the scene menu is just the thumbnail selected by Toast at the start of each chapter. You can select the thumbnail image for the title buttons but not the scene buttons. If you choose to have scene menus then selecting a title menu on the finished disc opens a scene menu window in which the scene must be selected before the video begins playing. There is an option to have the disc autoplay without first loading the menu.

The menu background can be changed. You can add your own background. The number of titles per page can be changed. To change the fonts you simply change the menu style to one that has a font you like (and then add your own background).

Toast has always had minimal menus.

Hi, all,

I'm new to Toast - having moved here as my work has evolved from SD to HD. I am a long-time FCP user and was quite happy with DVD Studio Pro, except, of course, it doesn't do Blu-Ray. But the menus in DVDSP are fantastic - film clip backgrounds, audio, automatically picking up FCP chapter markers, etc.

My first look at Toast 10 - and subsequently reading through this forum and others - tells me that Toast does not do even a half-way decent job of menu authoring. Can anybody tell me if I am missing something important? I am bringing over a 63-minute film as H.264 from Compressor. The film has 8 Chapter markers embedded in it, including the one at time zero. How close to a good DVDSP menu can I come in Toast?

Thanks for any help,

Ron

I'll basically back up what tsantee has told you; he's helped me a lot, too. I've done a lot of editing/authoring with iMovie and iDVD and was also disappointed to find that iDVD didn't support blu-ray. Toast has enabled me to produce several blu-rays. It preserves the iMovie chapters, but you must make sure to place a chapter marker at the beginning and check off "automatic" in the chapter selection window. Otherwise, it will default to 3 or 5 minute chapters. What's frustrating is that you can't name your chapters or list them on the title page. The various menu themes are pretty lame, but you'll probably be able to find one that isn't too offensive. Another frustration is the length of time it takes to encode the project - approx. 8 hours for a 60 minute program, and you can't check ahead of time to see if everything is the way you want it.

Another thing. If your project consists of several items, e.g., 1080i downloads of individual songs from tracking sites, you're able to name the chapters and the encoding is relatively fast. However, you can't skip from track to track but must go to the menu and click on the item you want.

Finally, blu-ray media is pretty expensive so be sure to pick up a few re-recordable disks so you can check your projects before burning to recordable only disks. I've been using Verbatim disks and getting good results. A stack of 20 recordable disks cost me about $60 from Amazon in December, though I see an offer there now for about $30. The rewritables are more, of course, so shop around.

Hopefully Mac will get their act together and support blu-ray in the next iteration of Studio Pro and iDVD. Until then, it's either Toast or the expensive Adobe Encore.

Good luck!

Archived