Another Toast Chapter Marker Problem

gspanos

Question

Greetings Toast 10 users,

I've been successfully producing blu-rays using Toast 10 to author programs edited in iMovie 6.03. It took me a while to learn how to preserve the chapter markers set in iMovie, but, with help from tsantee, I finally figured it out. Essentially, you have to mark the first chapter in iMovie and then check "automatic" in the Toast chapter marker window. This was working great until my current project. Toast is automatically setting a second chapter marker at about 3 seconds and at 5 minute intervals following that, thus screwing up the time settings of the remaining chapters.

Has anybody had a similar problem, and, more importantly, can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

George

Edited by gspanos

11 answers to this question

Are you using the Media Browser to access the iMovie project or are you exporting from iMovie before adding to Toast? I recommend using the Toast Media Browser.

Once I finish the iMovie project, I open Toast and drag the iMovie file to the Toast Blu-ray Video window, the same as I've done with several successful projects. If I try to open the iMovie file from file>open>iMovie, the file isn't highlighted. And, I can't export from iMovie to Toast, so that's not an option anyway.

I'm wondering if this isn't a project specific problem. I did a test with a small project and the chapters came out OK. I had suspected that maybe there was a ghost chapter in the problem project, so I re-did it, but the problem persisted. A second chapter wass created at about 3 seconds with 5-second chapters thereafter

Strange.

Thanks for your help.

George

PS: I realized what you meant after I wrote the above. You wanted me to open the Toast browser and add the iMovie file from there rather than drag the file to the Toast Blu-ray window. I've done that and will know in about seven hours if it works.

Edited by gspanos

Once I finish the iMovie project, I open Toast and drag the iMovie file to the Toast Blu-ray Video window, the same as I've done with several successful projects. If I try to open the iMovie file from file>open>iMovie, the file isn't highlighted. And, I can't export from iMovie to Toast, so that's not an option anyway.

I'm wondering if this isn't a project specific problem. I did a test with a small project and the chapters came out OK. I had suspected that maybe there was a ghost chapter in the problem project, so I re-did it, but the problem persisted. A second chapter wass created at about 3 seconds with 5-second chapters thereafter

Strange.

Thanks for your help.

George

PS: I realized what you meant after I wrote the above. You wanted me to open the Toast browser and add the iMovie file from there rather than drag the file to the Toast Blu-ray window. I've done that and will know in about seven hours if it works.

Success!! Opening from the media browser worked. But, why did the simple drag/drop work before but not this time.

At any rate, thanks tsantee for your help

Edited by gspanos

Success!! Opening from the media browser worked. But, why did the simple drag/drop work before but not this time.

At any rate, thanks tsantee for your help

Glad that worked. The Media Browser has programming to read instructions in the iMovie project file that are missed when dragging the file into Toast.

Glad that worked. The Media Browser has programming to read instructions in the iMovie project file that are missed when dragging the file into Toast.

Hi,

I thought I had the chapter marker problem worked out, but a recent project failed. I'm using Toast 10 with the blu-ray plug-in. As before, I made sure to place a chapter marker at the start of my iMovie project, opened the project from the Toast Media Browser, and marked the blu-ray project video as 'automatic' in the edit window. Still, I got 3-minute markers, not the ones I set in iMovie. I ran it twice to make sure I'd done nothing wrong, but got the same thing. The only thing different with this project is that the audio was set to Dolby to match the original program downloaded from satellite. Another thing that seemed different, but maybe wasn't, is that when I opened the Media Browser, I had to drag the iMovie project to the Toast window. I seem to recall that on earlier successful occasions, I double-clicked on the file and it appeared in the Toast window.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

Hi,

I thought I had the chapter marker problem worked out, but a recent project failed. I'm using Toast 10 with the blu-ray plug-in. As before, I made sure to place a chapter marker at the start of my iMovie project, opened the project from the Toast Media Browser, and marked the blu-ray project video as 'automatic' in the edit window. Still, I got 3-minute markers, not the ones I set in iMovie. I ran it twice to make sure I'd done nothing wrong, but got the same thing. The only thing different with this project is that the audio was set to Dolby to match the original program downloaded from satellite. Another thing that seemed different, but maybe wasn't, is that when I opened the Media Browser, I had to drag the iMovie project to the Toast window. I seem to recall that on earlier successful occasions, I double-clicked on the file and it appeared in the Toast window.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

I don't know. Maybe Toast doesn't recognize iMovie chapters when creating Blu-ray discs. Toast 11 has a window for manually setting chapter markers that is lacking in Toast 10. I don't think double-clicking the project in the media browser will add it to the Toast window. It either needs to be dragged there or selected and then clicking the + button. There's no difference either way. I would expect Toast to keep those iMovie chapter markers but it appears you've found that it doesn't.

I don't know. Maybe Toast doesn't recognize iMovie chapters when creating Blu-ray discs. Toast 11 has a window for manually setting chapter markers that is lacking in Toast 10. I don't think double-clicking the project in the media browser will add it to the Toast window. It either needs to be dragged there or selected and then clicking the + button. There's no difference either way. I would expect Toast to keep those iMovie chapter markers but it appears you've found that it doesn't.

I've been successful with numerous blu-ray projects following your initial advice and can attest to the fact that Toast does indeed recognize the markers. I didn't select from the Media Browser using the + button, so I'll try that just in case it does make a difference. I'll let you know if it works.

Regarding Toast 11, are you saying that I can set the markers in Toast? That would certainly be a great feature and worth the buy. Are there any other features, such as being able to name the chapters imported from iMovie or more advanced menu options?

Thanks for your help.

I've been successful with numerous blu-ray projects following your initial advice and can attest to the fact that Toast does indeed recognize the markers. I didn't select from the Media Browser using the + button, so I'll try that just in case it does make a difference. I'll let you know if it works.

Regarding Toast 11, are you saying that I can set the markers in Toast? That would certainly be a great feature and worth the buy. Are there any other features, such as being able to name the chapters imported from iMovie or more advanced menu options?

Thanks for your help.

I haven't used the new Toast 11 feature to manually place chapter marks but I've looked at it. I'm hoping it works. You still cannot give titles to chapters but the menu styles are nice. All I can suggest is taking advantage of one of Roxio's frequent online sales of Toast (get on their email list if you aren't already) and buy directly as an online download. Roxio has a 30-day refund policy if you aren't satisfied.

I haven't used the new Toast 11 feature to manually place chapter marks but I've looked at it. I'm hoping it works. You still cannot give titles to chapters but the menu styles are nice. All I can suggest is taking advantage of one of Roxio's frequent online sales of Toast (get on their email list if you aren't already) and buy directly as an online download. Roxio has a 30-day refund policy if you aren't satisfied.

Well, accessing the iMovie file from the + button on the Media Browser didn't help, either. This is very strange, given that I've successfully imported chapters from iMovie on many occasions.

I'll check into Toast 11. Thanks for your help.

OK. I got Toast 11 and imported the iMovie file in question again. Same result: 3 minute chapters at regular intervals. So, I tried an other iMovie file that I'd been successful with, and it worked out fine. I then went back to the problem file and noticed that it wanted to start at 1 second, even though I had the iMovie chapter set at zero. Fortunately, as advertised, Toast 11 let me add chapters manually. I've got it encoding now and hope to have a finished project when done.

Again, thanks for your help.