Mydvd Hangs With No Response

queticoguy

Question

I am running Windows7 and Roxio Creator 10. I have made many DVD slideshow's in the past with Videowave and MyDVD. I am currently trying to burn a DVD with about 300 slides which I am sure I have done before. With this project the Videowave portion of the project works fine, but when I move to the MyDVD portion I run into problems. When I attempt to save the project, the projects hangs there for 5-10 minutes and then I get a no response message. Task manager shows that MyDVD is not responding and I have to end the task. The same thing happens if I attempt to burn the disk or create a disk image. I have tried creating a new Videowave file thinking that the first one was corrupt, but that did not work. I also uninstalled Creator 10 and re-installed it. That did not work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply and your right, I was wrong on the version. I am running Roxio Creator 2010, Version 1.2.193 Build 121893A.

The Videowave portion works fine. It hangs when I either go to MYDVD from Vidowave and try to save the project or if I go into MYDVD directly, add the new movie, and then try to save it. It hangs when trying to save the project in MYDVD. I have tried creating several slideshows and each ones hangs in MYDVD. So I am assuming the vidoowave file is good.

I have done both the hardware and software option under the tools - options - render menu. Although I'm not sure what that is suppose to do. I get the black box zooming in and out. So guess that is ok since I did not get any error messages.

I have Norton Security Suite and have run all the diagnostics contained there along with the normal windows troubleshooting tools. I ugraded to Windows7 in Novenmer from Vista and have made several slideshow/DVD's in that time frame. I really don't think I have a system or Windows7 issue. Something must not be compatable though.

Not sure what else I can tell you, but will be happy to answer any other questions. I like Roxio, but am thinking if I can't get this figured out I will be forced to switch to another product.

Thanks for your interest.

Have you tried in Video Wave to output (top menu bar) then export the projects to a mpg2 for DVD best quality file and then adding those files to Create DVD? You didn't mention if you were working in HD or wide screen so you have to adjust the above to account for that.

That does two things. If the file does not export to the mpg2 file then there is something in the project that needs attending to. The second thing is that it eliminates the encoding in Create DVD except for the menu. Always burn to a image (ISO ) file for best results.

Digital Guru... Here is another symptom. If, after I am in MYDVD, I try to burn the DVD either to a actual DVD or to a file, it goes through all the steps involved, Open Project, Encode Movies, Encode Menu, and then with the buring being 97% complete it hangs and I get the no response.

So either way it appears to be a problem in the writing or saving the project.

I'm stumped. I have of course rebooted, un-installed Roxio Creator 10 and installed it again, ran diagnostics. In the preview mode of MYDVD it really looks good. :) I just can't get to the next step.

Thanks again..

Thanks for the reply and your right, I was wrong on the version. I am running Roxio Creator 2010, Version 1.2.193 Build 121893A.

The Videowave portion works fine. It hangs when I either go to MYDVD from Vidowave and try to save the project or if I go into MYDVD directly, add the new movie, and then try to save it. It hangs when trying to save the project in MYDVD. I have tried creating several slideshows and each ones hangs in MYDVD. So I am assuming the vidoowave file is good.

I have done both the hardware and software option under the tools - options - render menu. Although I'm not sure what that is suppose to do. I get the black box zooming in and out. So guess that is ok since I did not get any error messages.

I have Norton Security Suite and have run all the diagnostics contained there along with the normal windows troubleshooting tools. I ugraded to Windows7 in Novenmer from Vista and have made several slideshow/DVD's in that time frame. I really don't think I have a system or Windows7 issue. Something must not be compatable though.

Not sure what else I can tell you, but will be happy to answer any other questions. I like Roxio, but am thinking if I can't get this figured out I will be forced to switch to another product.

Thanks for your interest.

If you have created several slideshows before that worked then obviously the program does work and there is something different in your current project.

In your first post you said that you tried creating a videofile in Videowave but that did not work. Now you are stating that VW works fine. Which is it?

Did you just run the test in the Tools/Option render test or did you actually set try with both render methods to burn? Are you burning directly to DVD or are you first burning to an image (iso) file?

How long in time is your project? Have your tried to burn without a menu? How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Have you defragged lately?

I agree, something has changed since I made the last slideshow DVS’s.

The problem has always been with MYDVD. In the first post I stated that I had created a new videowave file and that did not work. I meant that when I brought that into MYDVD it hung again. So the problem has always been with MYDVD.

The project is about 18 minutes in length. I have 49.7 GB free. Yes, I have defragged recently.

Have I tried to burn without a menu? No… I do not understand that question. When I enter MYDVD there is a default menu selected. Then you have the option to change that menu. I do not know how to burn without the menu.

You have to explain the render test. I have looked in MYDVD help and could not find it. All I do is select the hardware or software button and select graphics test. The black box zooms in and out and some red last and average numbers appear with FPS values. So if there is something else to do there I do not know what it is.

I think I answered all of your questions.

I just tried a videowave file that had worked before. In other words I was able to create the DVD with that file in October. This time it failed with the no response in MYDVD. That would tell me that the videowave file is not the problem. Agree?

Once again, thank you for hanging with me on this.

One more thing I noticed. If I use task manager to monitor the status of MYDVD while trying to save or create a file after awhile the status goes to no response, then back to running, then back to no response, then to running again until it stays at no response. don't know if that means anything to you or not...

I agree, something has changed since I made the last slideshow DVS’s.

The problem has always been with MYDVD. In the first post I stated that I had created a new videowave file and that did not work. I meant that when I brought that into MYDVD it hung again. So the problem has always been with MYDVD.

The project is about 18 minutes in length. I have 49.7 GB free. Yes, I have defragged recently.

Have I tried to burn without a menu? No… I do not understand that question. When I enter MYDVD there is a default menu selected. Then you have the option to change that menu. I do not know how to burn without the menu.

You have to explain the render test. I have looked in MYDVD help and could not find it. All I do is select the hardware or software button and select graphics test. The black box zooms in and out and some red last and average numbers appear with FPS values. So if there is something else to do there I do not know what it is.

I think I answered all of your questions.

I just tried a videowave file that had worked before. In other words I was able to create the DVD with that file in October. This time it failed with the no response in MYDVD. That would tell me that the videowave file is not the problem. Agree?

Once again, thank you for hanging with me on this.

To create a DVD with no menu: start myDVD, select File/New project/DVD no menus. Then add your movies.

To change the render method: select either the Hardware or software render method. Don't bother with the test.

OK - I'm learning stuff here. Thank you.

I tried both things that you suggested, Saving without a menu and saving with the render method being set to hardware and then to software. The MYDVD failed in all cases with the No response problem.

Not feeling good about this.

Digital Guru... This is what I tried today..

Created a new Admin ID, logged into that and tried the same stuff. It failed the same way. So it is not associated with my normal ID.

Opened an existing MYDVD file and saved it to another file. that worked! Also burned it to an image file. That worked! But when I tried to add another videowave file to the menu and save that it failed.

I also noticed that using the task manager the CUP usage is about 5-85% when the worked with the existing MYDVD file and it is about 5-15% when it is going to fail. It never seems to get started.

I was going to try to un-install and install again, but I didn't get around to that and since I have already tried that I don't hold much home.

Any more ideas?

Thanks to all who have worked with me on this problem. I have of course also been working with Roxio Support and their latest suggestion is to do a clean install of Windows7 and then re-install Creator 2010.

I would consider doing that if it were not for the history I have with Roxio and Operating systems. Last fall I had trouble going from Creator 10 to Creator 2010. Roxio support could not find a solutions and I decided to move from Vista to Windows7. Now about four months later I'm having trouble with Roxio and Windows7. I'm afraid that if I went through the headache of a clean reinstall of Windows7, that in a few months time I would be back at the same point, having a problem with Roxio and the operating system.

So, I think the best solution to my problem is to find another product to replace Roxio. I'm not happy about that because I have been using Roxio for 3-4 years and like what it does. There comes a time when the frustration factor tells you it it time to stop hitting your head against the wall.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what product to move to?

Digital Guru... This is what I tried today..

Created a new Admin ID, logged into that and tried the same stuff. It failed the same way. So it is not associated with my normal ID.

Opened an existing MYDVD file and saved it to another file. that worked! Also burned it to an image file. That worked! But when I tried to add another videowave file to the menu and save that it failed.

I also noticed that using the task manager the CUP usage is about 5-85% when the worked with the existing MYDVD file and it is about 5-15% when it is going to fail. It never seems to get started.

I was going to try to un-install and install again, but I didn't get around to that and since I have already tried that I don't hold much home.

Any more ideas?

Does it fail no matter what video file you use or is it one particular file?

Where did these video files come from? Did you create them yourself? What format are they?

Thanks to all who have worked with me on this problem. I have of course also been working with Roxio Support and their latest suggestion is to do a clean install of Windows7 and then re-install Creator 2010.

I would consider doing that if it were not for the history I have with Roxio and Operating systems. Last fall I had trouble going from Creator 10 to Creator 2010. Roxio support could not find a solutions and I decided to move from Vista to Windows7. Now about four months later I'm having trouble with Roxio and Windows7. I'm afraid that if I went through the headache of a clean reinstall of Windows7, that in a few months time I would be back at the same point, having a problem with Roxio and the operating system.

So, I think the best solution to my problem is to find another product to replace Roxio. I'm not happy about that because I have been using Roxio for 3-4 years and like what it does. There comes a time when the frustration factor tells you it it time to stop hitting your head against the wall.

Back in post #17, step 3 you state you were able to create the image (iso) file.

Have you played that iso file with a media player such as VLC?

Have you tried to burn the iso file to a DVD using a another file burning program such as ImgBurn?

Walt - I was able to use Roxio to burn that disk image you mentioned to a DVD. I think it went to 98% complete and stopped. However, the DVD it created did work in the DVD player.

Currently I have problems in MyDVD just changing the menu type selection. It hangs with no-response trying to change the menu style.

As I said, the frustration factor is pretty high so I'm better off moving to another product.

Thanks again for your interest...

Walt - I was able to use Roxio to burn that disk image you mentioned to a DVD. I think it went to 98% complete and stopped. However, the DVD it created did work in the DVD player.

Currently I have problems in MyDVD just changing the menu type selection. It hangs with no-response trying to change the menu style.

As I said, the frustration factor is pretty high so I'm better off moving to another product.

Thanks again for your interest...

I hope you have better luck with other products if you decide to change. I have tried others but keep coming back to Roxio because it works the best and with the least problems.

There is obviously something in your system that is interfering with Roxio.

Have you tried the 2 suggestions I made?

I am running Windows7 and Roxio Creator 10. I have made many DVD slideshow's in the past with Videowave and MyDVD. I am currently trying to burn a DVD with about 300 slides which I am sure I have done before. With this project the Videowave portion of the project works fine, but when I move to the MyDVD portion I run into problems. When I attempt to save the project, the projects hangs there for 5-10 minutes and then I get a no response message. Task manager shows that MyDVD is not responding and I have to end the task. The same thing happens if I attempt to burn the disk or create a disk image. I have tried creating a new Videowave file thinking that the first one was corrupt, but that did not work. I also uninstalled Creator 10 and re-installed it. That did not work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

FIrst of all please tell us what version you are using. There is no Roxio Creator 10. There is a version called Easy Media Creator 10 (EMC 10) which is not compatible with W7 and there is the 2 year old Roxio Creator 2010 (C2010) which is compatible. To avoid a lot of confusion please use the correct name: C2010 or EMC 10.

In Videowave, can you tell at what point it hangs? Do you ahve anything special going on at that point? Have you tried switching the render method under Tools-Options?

Actually, you have already made one bad move after another. Moving to a different software, than Roxio, is only going to be a temporary fix. You will undoubtedly run into problems again.

What you need to do is start doing computer maintenance, on a regular basis, and the first step in that is to turn off auto updates for any software you have, including the OS that you are running.

I have about 25 video files that I have created with Videowave. I have added them to MyDVD and make the DVD slideshows out of them. Of course I use the serveral of the files in one video.

So I have created all the videowave files over the past several years. I have only tried to add four of them with this problem.

Each one failed when either trying to save the new MyDVD project or burning it to an image file. One of the four that failed is the one that I am trying to complete now. Another one is a 2nd creation of the same slides, and the last two of the four that failed were files that worked before. So that is four different video files that failed.

I think I mentioned that I opened an existing MYDVD file and was able to save that with a new name and create a image file ok. Not sure what that tells me.

Confusing huh?

I have about 25 video files that I have created with Videowave. I have added them to MyDVD and make the DVD slideshows out of them. Of course I use the serveral of the files in one video.

So I have created all the videowave files over the past several years. I have only tried to add four of them with this problem.

Each one failed when either trying to save the new MyDVD project or burning it to an image file. One of the four that failed is the one that I am trying to complete now. Another one is a 2nd creation of the same slides, and the last two of the four that failed were files that worked before. So that is four different video files that failed.

I think I mentioned that I opened an existing MYDVD file and was able to save that with a new name and create a image file ok. Not sure what that tells me.

Confusing huh?

You mean you cannot even save your project file?

Would you be willing to upload one of the problem videos to a free upload site such as www.UpforDown.com? We could then download it and see if we have the same problem.

I'm not thinking burner or media.... Remember it fails just saving a project in MyDVD with a single video wave file. No burner or media involved there. I am following up on a event viewer error about a local system thumbprint about to expire and a timeout message waiting for roxio hard dirve watcher 12 to connect.

Here is information on the DVD. Don't remember you asking about that befor..

Drive E:

Description CD-ROM Drive

Media Loaded No

Media Type DVD Writer

Name TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L ATA Device

Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Status OK

Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec

SCSI Target ID 0

PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CD/DVDW_TS-H652L_______________0603____\5&2D2B8E9C&0&1.0.0

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 144.00 KB (147,456 bytes), 7/13/2009 6:19 PM) Drive E:

Description CD-ROM Drive

Media Loaded No

Media Type DVD Writer

Name TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L ATA Device

Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Status OK

Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec

SCSI Target ID 0

PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CD/DVDW_TS-H652L_______________0603____\5&2D2B8E9C&0&1.0.0

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 144.00 KB (147,456 bytes), 7/13/2009 6:19 PM)

Hey Digital Guru Guy... I'm close to buying you a beer. I followed your last post advice...

1. From Videowave I exported the project to a "MPG2 for DVD Best Quality" That worked fine. However I expected it to since saving the videowave files also worked.

2. I then went into MyDVD and with the "Add Movie" menu item added the MPG2 file instead of a videowave file. Then I saved that project from MyDVD. That did not hang with no-response. Something new. Looking good.

3. I then burned the project to a disk image. That did not hang with no-response. Looking really good now.

4. I then used Roxio to burn the image to a disk. That stopped at 98% completion, hung there for 15 minutes. I think it was finalizing the DVD because it had written all the data. Not looking so good. I had to reboot to get Roxio to let go of the DVD. Just for fun I took the DVD and was able to play in the DVD/TV and that played fine.

I made a 2nd run at the same thing, this time adding the MPG2 file to an existing project with 3 other movies on it. I went through the MYVD save and then burned another image file. This time however, the Roxio burn image to disk option never wrote anything to the DVD.. Just sat there spinning. AGain I had to reboot to get Roxio to let go of the DVD.

So I did create a DVD with my slide show on it, but have no confidence that I could do it again.

What do you think?

Archived