• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator 2011

cwil

Question

I am interested in what members consider the best DVD disk for recording in videos that are being converted and/or copying in general. Brand as well as DVD-R or DVD+R. Currently I am using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's but I also have some + R's. Especially interested in those VHS tapes I convert to be played on a stand alone DVD player. I would like to end up with one specific brand and type if one will fit all.

10 answers to this question

Sorry, on above post. Forgot to open DVD drive info. Here it is attached.

You have a Dell OEM LG Drive.

Some LG's set booktype so download this free program DVD Identifier and check some of the +R disc's you have burned in Roxio and see?

DVD Identifier>> http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

If it doesn't set booktype, you can make your projects in Roxio and save to a Image file. Then download this free program ImgBurn that defaults booktype setting if your drive allows it and use this program to burn the Image file to a +R disc. If the default doesn't work, come back and tell us there are some other settings we can try in ImgBurn.

ImgBurn v2.5.5.0 (5,386 KB)>> http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

post-97-059276900 1299593989.jpg

I am interested in what members consider the best DVD disk for recording in videos that are being converted and/or copying in general. Brand as well as DVD-R or DVD+R. Currently I am using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's but I also have some + R's. Especially interested in those VHS tapes I convert to be played on a stand alone DVD player. I would like to end up with one specific brand and type if one will fit all.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Thanks and great info. However, based on number post I have seen in various Roxio forums about disks I thought I would ask Roxio users what they had had best experience with burning videos. Brand and + or -

Thanks and great info. However, based on number post I have seen in various Roxio forums about disks I thought I would ask Roxio users what they had had best experience with burning videos. Brand and + or -

You didn't describe what kind of DVD you wanted to burn - a movie DVD or a DVD with files (video or other) on them.

As long as you are asking for an opinion, I use T-Y. Dash (-) discs are (were ?) supposed to be more universal for different players.

If you are burning your own videos to play on a DVD player, the key point is to never burn DVD projects directly to a disc via Create DVD. Always burn to a image file or folder set first and then use VCC to burn them to the disc.

Why are you asking?

TY or whatever they're now called have always been the best discs I could find. They're consistently high quality, and all my burners like them.

My DVD players will play almost anything, but for finicky players which are very picky about what they play I use TY DVD+Rs, 'booktyped' to show as DVD-ROM. Those are the most versatile and compatible with the older DVD players.

To explain a little, all players should be able to play pressed silver DVDs - the ones you get commercial movies on. These identify themselves to the player as 'DVD-ROM' discs.

DVD+R discs can be 'booktyped' by a large number of modern burners to identify themselves as DVD-ROMs and look like pressed DVDs to the player. This keeps the player happy. The changing of booktype from DVD+R to DVD-ROM is done by a burner setting usually controlled by a utility you get with the burner. It isn't set by Roxio software

DVD-R discs, on the other hand, cannot be 'booktyped' so always identify themselves as DVD-R. They're not quite as compatible as the 'booktyped DVD+R' discs.

Regards,

Brendon

You didn't describe what kind of DVD you wanted to burn - a movie DVD or a DVD with files (video or other) on them.

As long as you are asking for an opinion, I use T-Y. Dash (-) discs are (were ?) supposed to be more universal for different players.

If you are burning your own videos to play on a DVD player, the key point is to never burn DVD projects directly to a disc via Create DVD. Always burn to a image file or folder set first and then use VCC to burn them to the disc.

Why are you asking?

I am asking because their must be a difference. I will be burning video disks that I make with Make A DVD I will also be using for normal burning. I note you say you use -R's. Another post uses + R's so now I assume either.

I am asking because their must be a difference. I will be burning video disks that I make with Make A DVD I will also be using for normal burning. I note you say you use -R's. Another post uses + R's so now I assume either.

Read Brendon's post carefully regarding setting the DVD +R booktyped to DVD-ROM. Check to see if your burner will do that. You can also read this abouit a free utility - ImgBurn. No promises; I have never used that function.

The advice I gave is based on the fact that dash R have been around for a lot longer than +R. If someone has an older player, they MAY work better IF you don't/can't set up the DVD-ROM.

Post your Burner ID Strings from device manager and I'll tell you if your hardware can/will do it, set booktype for DVD+R to DVD-Rom.

post-97-095728200 1299511506.jpg

Archived