• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator 2011

cwil

Question

I read in another post that I can't seem to find that rather than do a large video capture that it is better to capture in smaller segments and then burn to a DVD. What size segments do you recommend. For instance I have a 3 hours VHS tape and question is should I capture two 1:30 min segments or 3 60min segments. After that how do I put together as one burn and if so how much can go on a DVD and. If that can not be burned into one DVD how much is max so I can limit my Video Captures to that amount.

2 answers to this question

I read in another post that I can't seem to find that rather than do a large video capture that it is better to capture in smaller segments and then burn to a DVD. What size segments do you recommend. For instance I have a 3 hours VHS tape and question is should I capture two 1:30 min segments or 3 60min segments. After that how do I put together as one burn and if so how much can go on a DVD and. If that can not be burned into one DVD how much is max so I can limit my Video Captures to that amount.

A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video. Any longer and the video gets compressed and you lose quality. Forget about even trying to compress 3 hours on the DVD, you will not be happy with the quality. I would capture to 3 60 minutes segments and burn each to a separate DVD.

Also a lot depends on your computer and the condition of your hard drive. If, when you are capturing the video, you have dropped frames, then you can be sure that you will have audio/video sync problems. As captures get longer, there is more and more opportunity to get sync issues.

Just me speaking from past (several years and computers ago) I capture in 20-30 minute segments to minimize the sync issue. It takes a little longer but certainly shorter than if I have to go back and capture again. Remember to back up the tape a couple of seconds before doing any capture. The duplicate can be cut when you are editing the video in Edit Video Advanced (Video Wave).

Defrag before capture, turn off everything else you have running including the Internet and your anti-virus before capture. pour yourself a beverage and be patient.

Archived