Copy And Convert Video

RamonaCV

Question

I have to convert videos into a wmv 320x240 video file. Works fine in Copy/Convert. But I noticed file size is very large. IE: I convert a 9-1/2 minute video to WMV 320x240 and get a 220MB file. I take that 230MB file and open Windows Movie Maker, save that file as a WMV 320x240 file and get a 27MB file. I've reviewed both videos on my computer and cannot tell any discernible difference in quality. Any idea why WMM makes the file so much smaller in size that Roxio copy/convert? Thanks for any advice.

1 answer to this question

I have to convert videos into a wmv 320x240 video file. Works fine in Copy/Convert. But I noticed file size is very large. IE: I convert a 9-1/2 minute video to WMV 320x240 and get a 220MB file. I take that 230MB file and open Windows Movie Maker, save that file as a WMV 320x240 file and get a 27MB file. I've reviewed both videos on my computer and cannot tell any discernible difference in quality. Any idea why WMM makes the file so much smaller in size that Roxio copy/convert? Thanks for any advice.

This probably has to do with the data rate of the conversion.WMM is probably using a much slower rate than you have your Roxio set to perform.When you were using Copy and Convert,did you perhaps move the slide bar to "Highest Quality"?

In Copy and Convert,you`ll notice the slide bar that will alter the "file size" by increeasing or decreasing the data rate. This affects the data rate in kbits per second. The higher the rate,the larger the file size.

When you add a clip to Copy and convert, it auto selects 8000kbps.You can open "custom" to view these values.Lowering the data rate will reduce the file size,but also the video qulaity.

WMM uses a variable bit rate,that seems to be about 7000 kbps at my best guess,unless you specify a certain compression size for the file.

Archived