• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

According to the article by MacWorld.com Toast 11 is supposed to add support for handling subtitles. However I could not find any mention of this on the Roxio website and Toast 11 product information.

Could anyone else clarify this?

Ideally I would like it to preserve DVD format bitmap subtitles already present in an MPEG2 file, and even better I would like it to also handle DVB format bitmap subtitles also already present in an MPEG2 file.

For those unaware (particularly Americans) DVB stands for Digital Video Broadcasting and is a set of standards used for digital TV broadcasts in much of the world (except America). While high-definition broadcasts are typcially in H.264 format, standard-definition broadcasts are typically in good old MPEG2 format and practically identical to the video on a standard DVD. As mentioned the embedded subtitles are also like DVDs in a bitmap and can be converted to DVD format.

In addition to supporting bitmap subtitles which would also include bitmap .sub/.idx files, it would also be nice if Toast supported text subtitle format like .srt

6 answers to this question

If you tell me where I can download a sample I can give it a test in Toast 11.

I'm also having difficulty burning a dvd using a .mov file (which imports perfectly) and a .srt file (with the exact same name, in the same folder, and which plays perfectly with the file in VLC player.

The error message received is that the "filename.srt" is in an unsupported format and cannot be imported.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a workflow to enable a DVD be created with a movie that has *.srt subtitles attached?

Many thanks!

I'm also having difficulty burning a dvd using a .mov file (which imports perfectly) and a .srt file (with the exact same name, in the same folder, and which plays perfectly with the file in VLC player.

The error message received is that the "filename.srt" is in an unsupported format and cannot be imported.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a workflow to enable a DVD be created with a movie that has *.srt subtitles attached?

Many thanks!

I don't know if Toast can do this. You may need to use a different application to create the MPEG 2 video with the subtitles embedded. Toast does work with those.

I don't know if Toast can do this. You may need to use a different application to create the MPEG 2 video with the subtitles embedded. Toast does work with those.

Just in case this helps anyone else out - I figured out if you use another application called Submerge (http://www.bitfield.se/submerge/index.html) , you can output a file that then Toast will be able to use, with the subtitles hard coded onto the mov file. The quality is still OK but the file grew from 1.24GB to 2.39 GB in size.

Hope this information might be useful to someone else too.