• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

tvalleau

Toast 11 -Dog Slow-

Question

I have three different burners, several kinds of media and several burning programs.

Toast 11 will not burn my 16x media (any of it) at anything more than 4 or 5x in any of my drives, using any media, at any different setting.

Other software (ie Burnz etc) including Apple's built-in burners, spits out a disc in a couple of minutes. T11 takes nearly 10.

Suggestions to fix this would be -greatly- appreciated!

Mac 10.6.6 with 16 gb RAM (& FWIW, my copy of Toast TEN works as it should, recording at 15x)

so, I went back and trashed everything Roxio (including BOMs/receipts/prefs etc) and reinstalled T11... and got the same max recording speed of 4x.

and, FWIW, clicking on canel, to abort the burn, simply locks up the software, requiring a force quit.

T11 needs a revision, pronto!

Edited by tvalleau

Same for me. Using 16X Verbatim DVD-R discs with my Firewire LaCie drive is fast with Toast 10 and crawls at 2X with Toast 11. Hopefully Roxio is aware of this and can get it fixed very soon.

I own a 2009 mac pro, 3.3GHz quad core, 16Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD. I'm trying to encode a 648Mb MP4 into a DVD, it's been running on for over an hour and is not even one quarter of the way through encoding.

I thought I was upgrading from Toast 10 to a 64 bit Toast 11 application however the activity monitor does not indicate it. The original MP4 and the "scratch disk" is all on the SSD with at least 100Gb to spare. I am using a ATI Radeon HD 4870 vid card.

Does anyone from Roxio read these things? Is there a tech support?

I own a 2009 mac pro, 3.3GHz quad core, 16Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD. I'm trying to encode a 648Mb MP4 into a DVD, it's been running on for over an hour and is not even one quarter of the way through encoding.

I thought I was upgrading from Toast 10 to a 64 bit Toast 11 application however the activity monitor does not indicate it. The original MP4 and the "scratch disk" is all on the SSD with at least 100Gb to spare. I am using a ATI Radeon HD 4870 vid card.

This is a user forum, for Tech Support, click on Support at the top of this page and follow directions.

What are the specs for the MP4 including how long is it? I'll do some comparisons on my (much slower) system.

The problem exists! Using 16X Verbatim DVD+R discs with my Firewire Plextor drive is slow at 4-5X with Toast 11. But Toast 10 works fine! The same situation with inrternal drive Sony Optiarc AD-5670S in Mac mini and with my Macbook Pro!!!

I think Toast 11 needs very quick upgrade.

Edited by Nikolay

Also having the same slow burn problem - using 8x Datawrite media, Toast 11 won't burn above 4x. Toast 10 does it practically twice as fast.

I think in future I'll hold off on any Roxio major version number upgrade until they issue at least 2 point releases to fix all the bugs they introduce each time. Sometimes it seems like they add a load of new features, but actually degrade the core of the application. Very disappointing.

Also having the same slow burn problem - using 8x Datawrite media, Toast 11 won't burn above 4x. Toast 10 does it practically twice as fast.

I think in future I'll hold off on any Roxio major version number upgrade until they issue at least 2 point releases to fix all the bugs they introduce each time. Sometimes it seems like they add a load of new features, but actually degrade the core of the application. Very disappointing.

Roxio is aware of the issue but I don't know anything more than that. The initial release of all versions of Toast have some interesting quirks (I'm being polite) but this is the first time I've seen this one. Hopefully we won't have to be patient for too long before this gets fixed.

It's a strange one. If I use an external USB burner the burn speeds are fine - with the exception that Toast 11 reports incorrect finish times for the burn. Internal burn speeds are hopeless - same as others have reported.

I notice that people using firewire externals are getting the same slow speeds as the internal burner.Perhaps if anybody has got an external firewire/USB they may like to test their USB?

It's a strange one. If I use an external USB burner the burn speeds are fine - with the exception that Toast 11 reports incorrect finish times for the burn. Internal burn speeds are hopeless - same as others have reported.

I notice that people using firewire externals are getting the same slow speeds as the internal burner.Perhaps if anybody has got an external firewire/USB they may like to test their USB?

I'm the OP. I got the same results on internal, firewire and USB... each one with a different burner, including one BD

I'm the OP. I got the same results on internal, firewire and USB... each one with a different burner, including one BD

I guess that answers that then. The strange thing is my USB external is quite a low-tech device - generic enclosure and an ASUS mechanism. The burn speed on the internal pretty makes Toast 11 not usable. Thanks for your reply. Guess it's back to the drawing board for Roxio.

Well, I got a canned response from Roxio, sending me to a standard web-page < http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000066GN&PARAMS=set-locale=en> "Resolving General burning Errors."

I'd like to resolve the error that happens when support personnel do not even -read- the submitted ticket. !!!

Then, of course, they sent me a cheery little note asking how I liked their prompt response, and not to worry because they've gone ahead and closed the ticket out.

Don't you just love it?

Perhaps if I request a refund because the software doesn't work as advertised? Maybe if having them give me my money back would cause someone to actually THINK... naw: probably asking too much there.

Patiently waiting for Roxio to get its act together... once again.

Well, I got a canned response from Roxio, sending me to a standard web-page < http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000066GN&PARAMS=set-locale=en> "Resolving General burning Errors."

I'd like to resolve the error that happens when support personnel do not even -read- the submitted ticket. !!!

Then, of course, they sent me a cheery little note asking how I liked their prompt response, and not to worry because they've gone ahead and closed the ticket out.

Don't you just love it?

Perhaps if I request a refund because the software doesn't work as advertised? Maybe if having them give me my money back would cause someone to actually THINK... naw: probably asking too much there.

Patiently waiting for Roxio to get its act together... once again.

Yes indeed, burning is maddeningly slow here with two separate Firewire burners and Verbatim 16x dvd-r blanks. The burn does not go higher than 4x. When this is fixed the ability to burn to multiple drives simultaneously will be a great thing!!!!!!

The same for me.

Update to 11.0.1 does not fix the problem. It does not burn 16x discs faster than 4-5x.

Very strange! What do they think at Roxio about this issue? Why they get money for the toast 11?

Just burned a Data UDF disk and it reached the staggering speed of 2x (yes, two times). This was on the internal Optiarc from my 27 inch Core i7 iMac with 8 Gig RAM. Toast 10 on the same machine using same drive and same Verbatims reached 8x with the slot loader. Ergo: problem with Toast 11. Haven't tried my external FireWire 16x yet, but will give it a go soon. BTW the timing in the recording window of course didn't match and when writing LeadOut it jumped to about the 50 percent mark. On the plus side: the disc runs fine in my SetTop DVD player DivX mode.

Have fun, Hermie

Just burned a Data UDF disk and it reached the staggering speed of 2x (yes, two times). This was on the internal Optiarc from my 27 inch Core i7 iMac with 8 Gig RAM. Toast 10 on the same machine using same drive and same Verbatims reached 8x with the slot loader. Ergo: problem with Toast 11. Haven't tried my external FireWire 16x yet, but will give it a go soon. BTW the timing in the recording window of course didn't match and when writing LeadOut it jumped to about the 50 percent mark. On the plus side: the disc runs fine in my SetTop DVD player DivX mode.

Have fun, Hermie

Don't need to compare with the Firewire burner. It'll be the same. For now it seems our best strategy is to save as a disc image and then burn that to disc using a previous version of Toast. Note that the Save as Disc Image command in the Toast window is now chosen by clicking on the name of the drive and selecting it in the popup window. Of course it still is in the File menu and there is a keyboard command as well.

Don't need to compare with the Firewire burner. It'll be the same. For now it seems our best strategy is to save as a disc image and then burn that to disc using a previous version of Toast. Note that the Save as Disc Image command in the Toast window is now chosen by clicking on the name of the drive and selecting it in the popup window. Of course it still is in the File menu and there is a keyboard command as well.

OK, thanks again. Ehmmm, haven't we had more or less the same problem a couple of versions ago? Doesn't really matter, hope it get fixed soon. But then, I still think the old interface is a lot better...

Have fun, Hermie

Burned another UDF DVD on my Testcorp external FireWire (can't remember what's actually in it) and that one went at 4x, which I think is its lowest DVD writing speed. The time remaining window went haywire as well.

Have fun, Hermie

This solution has been reported elsewhere:

Uncheck “Display Recorder Settings Before Writing“ under the Advanced tab in preferences.

Let us know the results.

Thanks ... Ken

This solution has been reported elsewhere:

Uncheck “Display Recorder Settings Before Writing“ under the Advanced tab in preferences.

Let us know the results.

Thanks ... Ken

Hi Ken,

The setting you refer to is not in Preferences but part of the recorder settings and is unchecked. So this obviously is not the solution, sorry!

Have fun, Hermie

Well, I thought I'd found it...I actually got one burn at 15x by toggling the "Enable buffer underrun protection" off in the advanced tab.

I also toggled back and forth on the Display burner settings. (left it on)

Then I changed "best" speed for 16xDVD.

Works intermittently. That is sometimes it burns at 15-16x and some times it doesn't.

But it's a step in the right direction... and perhaps someone from Roxio will look at this info (buffer underrun, particularly) and have an "aha!" moment.

hth

Well, I thought I'd found it...I actually got one burn at 15x by toggling the "Enable buffer underrun protection" off in the advanced tab.

I also toggled back and forth on the Display burner settings. (left it on)

Then I changed "best" speed for 16xDVD.

Works intermittently. That is sometimes it burns at 15-16x and some times it doesn't.

But it's a step in the right direction... and perhaps someone from Roxio will look at this info (buffer underrun, particularly) and have an "aha!" moment.

hth

So I posted this to the help ticket I've got going... and got back THE SAME "I see you're having trouble burning. Please read the general burning help web page" lame answer I got on my first submission. The people over there are in a complete daze. They NOT ONCE actually READ about this issue. I just keep getting back platitudes and canned answers.

Screw em. I'm calling sales and asking for my money back. I'm a professional programmer who has offered and offered to help, and I'm getting no where. If they don't care, I don't care either.

So I posted this to the help ticket I've got going... and got back THE SAME "I see you're having trouble burning. Please read the general burning help web page" lame answer I got on my first submission. The people over there are in a complete daze. They NOT ONCE actually READ about this issue. I just keep getting back platitudes and canned answers.

Screw em. I'm calling sales and asking for my money back. I'm a professional programmer who has offered and offered to help, and I'm getting no where. If they don't care, I don't care either.

I hope you don't give up so soon. Your posts are a help others even though the resolution is not at hand. As a professional you probably are aware that the customer support folks often are somewhat disconnected from the programmers. I've mentioned your post about turning off buffer underrun to a contact I have at Roxio. Jonatsonic also visits the forum and he may be passing the information along as well.

I don't know what to suggest other than to do what you've done and to send feedback to Roxio via the link in Toast Help. You are helping to get this addressed.

I hope you don't give up so soon. Your posts are a help others even though the resolution is not at hand. As a professional you probably are aware that the customer support folks often are somewhat disconnected from the programmers. I've mentioned your post about turning off buffer underrun to a contact I have at Roxio. Jonatsonic also visits the forum and he may be passing the information along as well.

I don't know what to suggest other than to do what you've done and to send feedback to Roxio via the link in Toast Help. You are helping to get this addressed.

I have noticed that in the Recorder Settings window if you click on the "Best" dropdown menu it also only shows a 4x DVD burn speed option in Toast 11, in Toast 10 it has multiple speed choices from 1x to 16x DVD Burn speeds. I wonder if this has anything to do with the 4x burn speeds that everyone is reporting.