• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 11 -Dog Slow-

tvalleau

Question

I have three different burners, several kinds of media and several burning programs.

Toast 11 will not burn my 16x media (any of it) at anything more than 4 or 5x in any of my drives, using any media, at any different setting.

Other software (ie Burnz etc) including Apple's built-in burners, spits out a disc in a couple of minutes. T11 takes nearly 10.

Suggestions to fix this would be -greatly- appreciated!

Mac 10.6.6 with 16 gb RAM (& FWIW, my copy of Toast TEN works as it should, recording at 15x)

so, I went back and trashed everything Roxio (including BOMs/receipts/prefs etc) and reinstalled T11... and got the same max recording speed of 4x.

and, FWIW, clicking on canel, to abort the burn, simply locks up the software, requiring a force quit.

T11 needs a revision, pronto!

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem exists! Using 16X Verbatim DVD+R discs with my Firewire Plextor drive is slow at 4-5X with Toast 11. But Toast 10 works fine! The same situation with inrternal drive Sony Optiarc AD-5670S in Mac mini and with my Macbook Pro!!!

I think Toast 11 needs very quick upgrade.

Huh? What 11.0.2 update? 11.0.1 is the latest shown under support - software updates.

Sorry for the delay everybody, but, indeed 11.0.2 was released this evening and includes a fix for the issue that many of you are exoperiencing in this topic. Simply launch Toast, and if your updates are automtatic, you will be prompted for the update.

Let us know how it works.

Jon

Also having the same slow burn problem - using 8x Datawrite media, Toast 11 won't burn above 4x. Toast 10 does it practically twice as fast.

I think in future I'll hold off on any Roxio major version number upgrade until they issue at least 2 point releases to fix all the bugs they introduce each time. Sometimes it seems like they add a load of new features, but actually degrade the core of the application. Very disappointing.

Also having the same slow burn problem - using 8x Datawrite media, Toast 11 won't burn above 4x. Toast 10 does it practically twice as fast.

I think in future I'll hold off on any Roxio major version number upgrade until they issue at least 2 point releases to fix all the bugs they introduce each time. Sometimes it seems like they add a load of new features, but actually degrade the core of the application. Very disappointing.

Roxio is aware of the issue but I don't know anything more than that. The initial release of all versions of Toast have some interesting quirks (I'm being polite) but this is the first time I've seen this one. Hopefully we won't have to be patient for too long before this gets fixed.

I have a 27" imac Quad-core with 4 gigs of ram. Toast 11 is so slooooooow! I have tried all the work arounds, to no avail!

I'm going back toToast 10. Any sense at all when this will be fixed? This sin't just a bug to use who make a living in the video field, this is a major flaw costing time and money!

I have three different burners, several kinds of media and several burning programs.

Toast 11 will not burn my 16x media (any of it) at anything more than 4 or 5x in any of my drives, using any media, at any different setting.

Other software (ie Burnz etc) including Apple's built-in burners, spits out a disc in a couple of minutes. T11 takes nearly 10.

Suggestions to fix this would be -greatly- appreciated!

Mac 10.6.6 with 16 gb RAM (& FWIW, my copy of Toast TEN works as it should, recording at 15x)

so, I went back and trashed everything Roxio (including BOMs/receipts/prefs etc) and reinstalled T11... and got the same max recording speed of 4x.

and, FWIW, clicking on canel, to abort the burn, simply locks up the software, requiring a force quit.

T11 needs a revision, pronto!

I couldn't agree with you more,..I was told version 11.0.2 will be the answer but have had no way to download the update that is posted, seems to be downloading fine than freezes with an error message ant Install?Launch

Ok- wshat about the lack of verification after the burn?

Working on that issue for non-data projects and the 99% hang on some HD video projects, possible release towards the end of next week. Depending on the time frame, I might try posting a beta in here for feedback before we release.

It's a strange one. If I use an external USB burner the burn speeds are fine - with the exception that Toast 11 reports incorrect finish times for the burn. Internal burn speeds are hopeless - same as others have reported.

I notice that people using firewire externals are getting the same slow speeds as the internal burner.Perhaps if anybody has got an external firewire/USB they may like to test their USB?

I'm the OP. I got the same results on internal, firewire and USB... each one with a different burner, including one BD

I hope you don't give up so soon. Your posts are a help others even though the resolution is not at hand. As a professional you probably are aware that the customer support folks often are somewhat disconnected from the programmers. I've mentioned your post about turning off buffer underrun to a contact I have at Roxio. Jonatsonic also visits the forum and he may be passing the information along as well.

I don't know what to suggest other than to do what you've done and to send feedback to Roxio via the link in Toast Help. You are helping to get this addressed.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, tsantee. I finally did get someone there who asked for a system profile, which I sent. I've already spent several hours and a bit of $$ in discs running tests. I've offered to help them beta test solutions to see if the problem can be resolved (since I assume they don't see it on their hardware.) And, of course, I've posted what I found here.

The issue is simple: while I'm willing to help, the lack of response is frustrating. And, like most folks here, I have a life. I've got clients to deal with and, frankly, better things to do than spend hours on my own trying to get someone else's software running.

If they want me to beta test, they know where to find me. I'll be happy to do it.

If I find something during my own future attempts at using the software, I'll post it here, of course.

But other than that, and given the platitudes with which Roxio's support has responded, I'm done.

(If you have someone "inside" Roxio, then please share the point that actually -reading- the trouble-tickets, with some consciousness and comprehension, would go a long way not only to solving issues, but to customer satisfaction (which Roxio seriously lacks) as well...)

Hey Everybody -

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm passing this thread to our engineering and QA team for review to look into it.

Jon

Roxio Customer Care

Sorry for the delay everybody, but, indeed 11.0.2 was released this evening and includes a fix for the issue that many of you are exoperiencing in this topic. Simply launch Toast, and if your updates are automtatic, you will be prompted for the update.

Let us know how it works.

Jon

Burn speeds set at either Best or 16X DVD max out at 8-10X. Also, even though settings are set to verify disc, it does not go through this process. One bug sort of fixed, another one created.

Burn speeds set at either Best or 16X DVD max out at 8-10X. Also, even though settings are set to verify disc, it does not go through this process. One bug sort of fixed, another one created.

I'm seeing the automatic verification trigger and complete correctly in data projects, what issue are you still seeing with verification?

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 1.12.09 PM.png

I am writing movie DVDs. In past has always "dinged" after burning, and then blue progress bar appeared during verification process. I have "verify data" after writing checked in Advanced in burn preferences. BTW, average burn speed is 9X, with max of 10 x (with best or 16x DVD selected)

Average burn speed being 9x/10x when setting 16x/best at this point is just a function of your system, the drive, and everything else combined. Previous burn speed issue not withstanding, we push data as fast as the drive can take it.

The drive itself has a buffer, we fill that buffer and keep that buffer full, with the drive pulling data from the buffer as it needs it. System usage (disk writes, etc) can slow down keeping the buffer full, but assuming you aren't encoding video or copying files, the only fix to this would be to hid the "average" speed and instead show only the selected write speed.

I'll try the verification with video shortly....

I agree with nikolay!

If you are experiencing slow disc burning with Toast 11.1 then wait until the blank disc is recognized and set a recording speed (other than Best) in Toast's Recorder Settings window (accessed in the Recorder menu).

Same story here. Dog slow on a client's computer. 24 inch iMac, 2.8., 5gb ram., MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875. Previously burned brand name dual-layers quite briskly, for an iMac.

Took every piece of Roxio off, cleared all caches, re-installed 11 from scratch, updated, no go. Re-ripped out every piece of roxio, using Onyx to make sure, put 10 back on and was back to normal.

Anxiously awaiting 11.02.

I'm the OP. I got the same results on internal, firewire and USB... each one with a different burner, including one BD

I guess that answers that then. The strange thing is my USB external is quite a low-tech device - generic enclosure and an ASUS mechanism. The burn speed on the internal pretty makes Toast 11 not usable. Thanks for your reply. Guess it's back to the drawing board for Roxio.

Archived