• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

tvalleau

Toast 11 -Dog Slow-

Question

I have three different burners, several kinds of media and several burning programs.

Toast 11 will not burn my 16x media (any of it) at anything more than 4 or 5x in any of my drives, using any media, at any different setting.

Other software (ie Burnz etc) including Apple's built-in burners, spits out a disc in a couple of minutes. T11 takes nearly 10.

Suggestions to fix this would be -greatly- appreciated!

Mac 10.6.6 with 16 gb RAM (& FWIW, my copy of Toast TEN works as it should, recording at 15x)

so, I went back and trashed everything Roxio (including BOMs/receipts/prefs etc) and reinstalled T11... and got the same max recording speed of 4x.

and, FWIW, clicking on canel, to abort the burn, simply locks up the software, requiring a force quit.

T11 needs a revision, pronto!

Edited by tvalleau

I hope you don't give up so soon. Your posts are a help others even though the resolution is not at hand. As a professional you probably are aware that the customer support folks often are somewhat disconnected from the programmers. I've mentioned your post about turning off buffer underrun to a contact I have at Roxio. Jonatsonic also visits the forum and he may be passing the information along as well.

I don't know what to suggest other than to do what you've done and to send feedback to Roxio via the link in Toast Help. You are helping to get this addressed.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, tsantee. I finally did get someone there who asked for a system profile, which I sent. I've already spent several hours and a bit of $$ in discs running tests. I've offered to help them beta test solutions to see if the problem can be resolved (since I assume they don't see it on their hardware.) And, of course, I've posted what I found here.

The issue is simple: while I'm willing to help, the lack of response is frustrating. And, like most folks here, I have a life. I've got clients to deal with and, frankly, better things to do than spend hours on my own trying to get someone else's software running.

If they want me to beta test, they know where to find me. I'll be happy to do it.

If I find something during my own future attempts at using the software, I'll post it here, of course.

But other than that, and given the platitudes with which Roxio's support has responded, I'm done.

(If you have someone "inside" Roxio, then please share the point that actually -reading- the trouble-tickets, with some consciousness and comprehension, would go a long way not only to solving issues, but to customer satisfaction (which Roxio seriously lacks) as well...)

Hey Everybody -

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm passing this thread to our engineering and QA team for review to look into it.

Jon

Roxio Customer Care

Same story here. Dog slow on a client's computer. 24 inch iMac, 2.8., 5gb ram., MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875. Previously burned brand name dual-layers quite briskly, for an iMac.

Took every piece of Roxio off, cleared all caches, re-installed 11 from scratch, updated, no go. Re-ripped out every piece of roxio, using Onyx to make sure, put 10 back on and was back to normal.

Anxiously awaiting 11.02.

Update: our engineering staff is still working on this. In some cases, turning off buffer over run protection has helped.

Will keep you posted.

Jon

Roxio Customer care

First, thanks to the Roxio person (above) who finally noticed.

When I sent in my tidbit (that turning of buffer underflow allowed the process to proceed at proper speed for me) the support ticket folks pulled their usual "I don't bother reading this stuff" routine, and sent me to a technote that suggest that I turn ON the buffer underflow protection"

-----

Customer Support writes:

Dear Tracy,

I suggest you to follow the link below to resolve this issue:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000002TT&PARAMS=set-locale=en

-----

Is anyone actually reading this stuff? At this point, I'm convinced that it's an automated system simply replying to key-word lookups.

First, thanks to the Roxio person (above) who finally noticed.

When I sent in my tidbit (that turning of buffer underflow allowed the process to proceed at proper speed for me) the support ticket folks pulled their usual "I don't bother reading this stuff" routine, and sent me to a technote that suggest that I turn ON the buffer underflow protection"

-----

Customer Support writes:

Dear Tracy,

I suggest you to follow the link below to resolve this issue:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000002TT&PARAMS=set-locale=en

-----

Is anyone actually reading this stuff? At this point, I'm convinced that it's an automated system simply replying to key-word lookups.

Hi Tracy -

We spent the day yesterday researching the issue with the eng team and the support agents were just informed of the Buffer Underrun suggestion today once the eng team approved it.

Jon

Hi Tracy -

We spent the day yesterday researching the issue with the eng team and the support agents were just informed of the Buffer Underrun suggestion today once the eng team approved it.

Jon

Hmmm, my Buffer Underrun has been Off since Toast 8 I think and still both my recorders write at their lowest speed with Toast 11. Toast 10 and previous versions managed to reach the writers' max speed. But then if I remember correctly this issue has been there before, ages ago. Dunno which version had it though.

Have fun, Hermie

Thanks for the words of encouragement, tsantee. I finally did get someone there who asked for a system profile, which I sent. I've already spent several hours and a bit of $$ in discs running tests. I've offered to help them beta test solutions to see if the problem can be resolved (since I assume they don't see it on their hardware.) And, of course, I've posted what I found here.

The issue is simple: while I'm willing to help, the lack of response is frustrating. And, like most folks here, I have a life. I've got clients to deal with and, frankly, better things to do than spend hours on my own trying to get someone else's software running.

If they want me to beta test, they know where to find me. I'll be happy to do it.

If I find something during my own future attempts at using the software, I'll post it here, of course.

But other than that, and given the platitudes with which Roxio's support has responded, I'm done.

(If you have someone "inside" Roxio, then please share the point that actually -reading- the trouble-tickets, with some consciousness and comprehension, would go a long way not only to solving issues, but to customer satisfaction (which Roxio seriously lacks) as well...)

Read this entire thread and nothing works in regards to burn speed. I get a burn speed of 1x regardless of what I do. In all my research virtually everyone has the same problems with Toast 11 burn speed issues. Major problem! Nice to know someone got Toast 10 to work properly as a number of people state that thrashing 11 and resorting to Toast 10 also results in Toast 10 not burning at proper speeds. Back to Toast 10 for me.

Hi Tracy -

Jon

Jon,

I turned off buffer underrun and it made no difference. I am on a 2010 MacBook Pro 17" burning a DVD-RW and it is only going 2x when I selected best, used to go higher. And 1 seconds in the time remaining is about 6-7 seconds of real time.

Nate

I don't know if this has been mentioned (or if it should be a separate thread) but when I burn to two drives at once it goes from the "burning intro" screen directly to "burning outro" screen without ever counting down the actual data burning time. It Takes forevvvver ( about 8 to 10 times longer than the data would require) from beginning to end with Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden 16x media..

Peter and Nate

When I checked with the end team on Friday, they were still testing some scenarios.

Hopefully they have something soon.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jon

*eng team

Hey Everybody -

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm passing this thread to our engineering and QA team for review to look into it.

Jon

Roxio Customer Care

Jon,

For me burning DVD-R is also going 2x even though set to best, same as DVD+RW. Time remaining is about 1 second for every 7 seconds of real time.

Nate

I have a 27" imac Quad-core with 4 gigs of ram. Toast 11 is so slooooooow! I have tried all the work arounds, to no avail!

I'm going back toToast 10. Any sense at all when this will be fixed? This sin't just a bug to use who make a living in the video field, this is a major flaw costing time and money!

I'm pleased to say that 11.0.2 fixed the speed issue for me.

Huh? What 11.0.2 update? 11.0.1 is the latest shown under support - software updates.

Huh? What 11.0.2 update? 11.0.1 is the latest shown under support - software updates.

Sorry for the delay everybody, but, indeed 11.0.2 was released this evening and includes a fix for the issue that many of you are exoperiencing in this topic. Simply launch Toast, and if your updates are automtatic, you will be prompted for the update.

Let us know how it works.

Jon

Sorry for the delay everybody, but, indeed 11.0.2 was released this evening and includes a fix for the issue that many of you are exoperiencing in this topic. Simply launch Toast, and if your updates are automtatic, you will be prompted for the update.

Let us know how it works.

Jon

Burn speeds set at either Best or 16X DVD max out at 8-10X. Also, even though settings are set to verify disc, it does not go through this process. One bug sort of fixed, another one created.

Burn speeds set at either Best or 16X DVD max out at 8-10X. Also, even though settings are set to verify disc, it does not go through this process. One bug sort of fixed, another one created.

I'm seeing the automatic verification trigger and complete correctly in data projects, what issue are you still seeing with verification?

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 1.12.09 PM.png

I am writing movie DVDs. In past has always "dinged" after burning, and then blue progress bar appeared during verification process. I have "verify data" after writing checked in Advanced in burn preferences. BTW, average burn speed is 9X, with max of 10 x (with best or 16x DVD selected)

Average burn speed being 9x/10x when setting 16x/best at this point is just a function of your system, the drive, and everything else combined. Previous burn speed issue not withstanding, we push data as fast as the drive can take it.

The drive itself has a buffer, we fill that buffer and keep that buffer full, with the drive pulling data from the buffer as it needs it. System usage (disk writes, etc) can slow down keeping the buffer full, but assuming you aren't encoding video or copying files, the only fix to this would be to hid the "average" speed and instead show only the selected write speed.

I'll try the verification with video shortly....

Average burn speed being 9x/10x when setting 16x/best at this point is just a function of your system, the drive, and everything else combined. Previous burn speed issue not withstanding, we push data as fast as the drive can take it.

The drive itself has a buffer, we fill that buffer and keep that buffer full, with the drive pulling data from the buffer as it needs it. System usage (disk writes, etc) can slow down keeping the buffer full, but assuming you aren't encoding video or copying files, the only fix to this would be to hid the "average" speed and instead show only the selected write speed.

I'll try the verification with video shortly....

So an 8 core (2 X 2.26 quad core intel Xeon) machine with 16GB of RAM and an 18X superdrive won't burn any faster than the speeds I'm getting, even with no other programs running?

All I can guess at is an average because my burns for multiple drives still only show the Lead In and Lead Out screens and no updates are made to the display during actual burning. The burns are faster but I still think there is a "drag" on speed. Without Toast reporting what is going on during the burn I can't prove or disprove that.