Sign in to follow this  
hermie54

Spin Doctor

Question

After getting over the shock of Toast's interface first view, IMNSHO the worst ever, I decided to give the new Spin Doctor a try. Another shock, all's black and 'orrible! Anyway, survived that too and opened an old file. Tracks not read, listing empty! Tried the same file with old CD Spin Doctors from Toast 9 and 10 and there everything showed up fine. Other files same result. Not backward compatible anymore or just not tested? Dunno, anybody else gave this a try yet?

Have fun, Hermie

16 answers to this question

You're way ahead of me. I can't get the new Spin Doctor to open anything without crashing. It also crashes when I complete a recording. I've never seen the track-marking and filtering window.

Addendum: There were VST plugins installed for some Bias audio applications (e.g. Bias Peak Studio LE) that caused the conflict with Spin Doctor. Removing them from my root>Library>Audio>Plugins>VST folder now enables me to use Spin Doctor. I am able to open audio files saved by this version and regular AIFF files. Haven't any others.

Edited by tsantee
  • Like 1

Will the new Spin Doctor 6 work with Toast 10? Does it integrate with Toast at all? Toast 10 is compatible with OS 10.6.6, whereas the last version of SpinDoctor isn't.

Will the new Spin Doctor 6 work with Toast 10? Does it integrate with Toast at all? Toast 10 is compatible with OS 10.6.6, whereas the last version of SpinDoctor isn't.

Seems to work fine in 10.0.6 now that I solved the problem with the Bias vst plugins. It looks a lot different for the earlier versions and there is no help document. So you may be scratching your head about what to do. But everything I've tried is working (although I haven't tried everything). I wasn't aware the one included with the latest Toast update isn't working with Snow Leopard. I though that was only a problem for the version they sold separately from Toast.

Well, it opens fast here on 10.6.6, but won't recognise the file's tracks. So at the moment I have to keep the old version around for tinkering with existing files. Haven't tried a new recording yet, though.

I can't imagine the developers made this one not to read older files on purpose. There must be someone else around with older version SD recordings, if so can you check, please?

Have fun, Hermie

Addendum: There were VST plugins installed for some Bias audio applications (e.g. Bias Peak Studio LE) that caused the conflict with Spin Doctor. Removing them from my root>Library>Audio>Plugins>VST folder now enables me to use Spin Doctor. I am able to open audio files saved by this version and regular AIFF files. Haven't any others.

Nice one, tsantee.

I had exactly the same problem and had to move my VST plugins out of their folder in order to get Spin Doctor to work.

Well, Spin Doctor has been updated to 1.0.1 which I don't really get since it's just CD Spin Doctor in a new jacket with the CD dropped from its name, so why not go on with the original version numbering? Anyway, I gave it a try and have no idea what's supposed to be fixed. Not the main issue though, it still is NOT backward compatible and won't read tracks from recordings made with a previous version. Roxio or Sonic or whatever, can you fix this one please? I mean, I want to use SD to convert more analog stuff in the future, but if I can't trust the next version of the app being able to read old recordings correctly for tinkering there is not much point in doing so.

Have fun, Hermie

Well, Spin Doctor has been updated to 1.0.1 which I don't really get since it's just CD Spin Doctor in a new jacket with the CD dropped from its name, so why not go on with the original version numbering? Anyway, I gave it a try and have no idea what's supposed to be fixed. Not the main issue though, it still is NOT backward compatible and won't read tracks from recordings made with a previous version. Roxio or Sonic or whatever, can you fix this one please? I mean, I want to use SD to convert more analog stuff in the future, but if I can't trust the next version of the app being able to read old recordings correctly for tinkering there is not much point in doing so.

Have fun, Hermie

Although I don't have any true inside knowledge, this version of Toast and Spin Doctor seem to have been developed entirely by Roxio rather than with help from El Gato and with whoever was the original developer of CD Spin Doctor. As a result there are some significant behind-the-scenes changes in both. My guess is that compatibility with the previous CD Spin Doctor was not a priority in the rewriting of the application. I never thought CD Spin Doctor worked as it should. I'm hopeful they got it right this time.

Although I don't have any true inside knowledge, this version of Toast and Spin Doctor seem to have been developed entirely by Roxio rather than with help from El Gato and with whoever was the original developer of CD Spin Doctor. As a result there are some significant behind-the-scenes changes in both. My guess is that compatibility with the previous CD Spin Doctor was not a priority in the rewriting of the application. I never thought CD Spin Doctor worked as it should. I'm hopeful they got it right this time.

Hmmm, it worked fine for me and I've made lots of recordings with it. But if now it turns out I have to keep old versions till the time they won't run anymore that means I can't trust Spin Doctor development and have to ditch it for something else. Pitty though and I hope some developer chimes in with some info about fixing this or not. Thanks for the info!

Have fun, Hermie

OK, so I hooked up ye olde record player through pre-amp and gave this one a try. Yep, rec. level meters both responding to signal. So I pulled the line-in plug just a bit to get only one channel on speakers or headset. However, BOTH right and left rec. level meter still bouncing away quite happily.

Hit record and let it go for a couple of minutes. Then hit Pause as to turn over record and continued a couple of minutes more. Stopped. For people who haven't done this vinyl to digital routine yet, the idea is to get both sides of the record in one file, hence Pause inbetween and not Stop.

Anyway, saved the file as AIFF 16 bits (which like the input sensitivity has to be set EACH TIME after a crash or recording, a bit like Toast not remembering last settings). Opened it again from Spin Doctor File menu and oops... NO WAVEFORM. Closed, Quit and tried again: still NO waveform which leaves me with an unworkable display. The file plays OK, but in this test only the one channel and the "needle" progresses over an empty waveform field. How can it be that only one channel is recorded while both channels indicate incoming signal (yes, both meters on the same level, not one just a tiny bit of signal and the other one the lot). Something fishy going on here, perhaps?

Conclusion is that not only is it incompatible with files created by an older version (yes, bladiblabla, I know, but as a consumer I don't care if development company or whatever has changed causing the subtle name change from CD Spin Doctor. It's the same app and should read my old files correctly), its Recording function is also unusable at the moment. Doesn't anybody check these things prior to release? FTR all of this happened on an i7 2.93 27 inch iMac running 10.6.7 using 8 Gig RAM.

Have fun, Hermie

There's a lot not working in Spin Doctor X right now. My advice is to use it to record, especially if you want to use its ability to record audio playing in different apps, and then save the audio file as you did for working on in CD Spin Doctor from Toast 10 or possibly 9.

There's a lot not working in Spin Doctor X right now. My advice is to use it to record, especially if you want to use its ability to record audio playing in different apps, and then save the audio file as you did for working on in CD Spin Doctor from Toast 10 or possibly 9.

Yep, tsantee, you're quite right! Because... UPDATE... I victimized Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! for a test run. Hey, I'm not particularly keen on live albums but I just felt like it, OK? So here's how it went: the recording itself went alright, be it I had to enter all recording settings and not forgetting Save As again. For some reason it defaults to some weird format for saving I don't even know. I want untampered lossless bits and bytes so I can backup the recording and then eventually FLAC it for an upload later, so AIFF it is then. File saved and reopened. Guess what? A waveform appeared this time, me vewwy happy!

Didn't last long though, cuz now came the editing. Works the same as before with some bugs I suppose. For starters all key combos to line up tracks for instance are gone and the play/pause button became unresponsive, meaning dragging the play needle back and forth continuously. Track info besides the title field was not remembered and everything has to be re-entered manually each time. Meaning stuff like Artist name which in this case remains the same for all tracks.

A quick Save for keeping edits in case of a crash won't work either because the app is going to write the whole file again and of course defaults back to completely different audio settings. So I gambled and managed to more or less define all ten tracks and saved the file with a slightly different name.

Reopened the new file and yes, you probably guessed it, all newly entered track info has vanished, nothing there. Niente, nada, zilch! So it might well be that SD doesn't really have an incompatibility problem with older version files, it just can't read its own track info by the looks of it. What a complete mess.

I'll keep the files for the time being but have had enough right now.

Have fun, Hermie

Forgot... I opened the newly saved file with track info in CD Spin Doctor from Toast 10: nothing there, so the new Spin Doctor doesn't save any editing afterall.

Have fun, Hermie

Hmmm, I just took a peek at the Roxio Mac Products store and CD Spin Doctor 6 is still for sale seperately. Can someone at Roxio enlighten me about what's going on here? Refering to the subtle name change confusion, all the above, which one to use, pending updates and whatnot. I wouldn't mind paying for a retail version of some sorts provided I can be assured that it works and will be kept alive/updated. Saves me looking elsewhere and my old files would remain editable, I hope.

After upgrading my Amadeus Pro I finally realised it can record too. OK, OK, better late then never. Gave it a try and got my old vinyl record in just fine. It's a somewhat different way of doing things but I'm getting used to it already. On top of that Amadeus runs rock-solid on my Mac. So that's that then, goodbye Spin Doctor. It could have been nice, but I'm not going to wait for a decent version forever.

I, too, have myriad problems trying to use the new Spin Doctor:

1.) The "play/pause" button is unreliable. Sometimes I cannot stop or start it. Really frustrating.

2.) The moving wave form would be nice if I could stop it. (See #1.) Sometimes it just keeps moving and moving and moving with me "chasing" the play-point indicator (the little triangle.) This is maddening.

3.) I cannot simply "save" the file, as it always tries to "save as". This is a real nuisance.

4.) The song identifier (Gracenote, I presume) is far less helpful than in my previous version.

This "improved" version is actually worse than the old one (which I thought was all right.)

If I can go back to the version of Spin Doctor that came with Toast 9, I will.

After becoming more and more frustrated with Spin Doctor X, I went back to version 5.04 (which came with Toast 9.)

In Spin Doctor X, my 19-track AIFF file took half an hour to edit, with many start-and-stop problems. (See my previous post about how much of a problem I had controlling the access point and the moving wave form.) When I finally had my tracks laid out, Spin Doctor X could successfully identify only 3 songs.

I opened the same virgin file using version 5.04. In less than ten minutes, I successfully laid out all 19 tracks with easy manipulation of the controls. I was able to save my file with a simple keystroke (not forcing me to "save as" every time.) And the old version of Spin Doctor successfully identified 17 out of 19 tracks, rather quickly.

The new version certainly "looks" more modern, but its terrible functionality and bugs make it useless for me. I will not use Spin Doctor X again. The old version is much superior.