• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creating Slideshows to Share on the Internet

Brigitte

Question

I'm new to Roxio and their software. Just dumped $150 for their deluxe media creator. I wanted it so I could produce slideshows and share them on the internet. However, I am unable to find anyway to do that. Anyone here with experience in creating slideshows and stuffing them in FrontPage? Is it even possible? I went with Roxio thinking I was getting a lot - but so far have gotten a lot of hassle. I would appreciate any feedback. I'm pretty frustrated. It's taken me 2 weeks to get into the forums at all. Hope someone has some ideas! :)

8 answers to this question

Hope it all works out. If you do one that you want to share, please post the link. I'm sure we would all like to see your work. :)

I'd love to share one. I've not been able to work on this much as of late. I've tried the wmv file and such, but can't get it into FrontPage. I guess I'm not getting it in the file so it can see it. I've read instructions for FrontPage and it says to "Insert" it, but it just won't show up after I do. Thanks so much for being such a great group. I wish I had unlimited time to work on this. It's just busy right now!1

Hi Brigitte, Yes Roxio/Sonic has been trying to make their web site better but as usually normal, sometimes it get screwed up royally. Glad you are here now.

Use VideoWave to create your slide show; output it to a format of your choosing. (See image) You want to balance size to quality. Size depends on your web site supplier on what they will allow. Also remember the better the quality, the slower the download so anyone having dial up may just give up if it takes too long. Copy (or save that file in you web folder and add it to a web page just as you would an image. Post back if you need more detailed information.

Thank YOU!!! I have done something very similar and didn't have any luck. You mention saving that file in the web folder, which I think must be the step I've been missing. Although I've used FrontPage - it's been for very basic stuff - hit publish and I'm done. I'm not sure I understand enough HTML to get the pictures to advance to the next page...wouldn't that take time to load the page? could it even go fast enough to go to music? I will also check out liveshare. I'm a photographer and "slideshows" set to music for clients to preview seems to be "hot" right now. Just another thing to "learn"! :)

:huh::D Thank You both for your suggestions and help. I'm getting ready to hit my busy season so i hope I can get this or something figured out before I get overwhelmed.

Thank YOU!!! I have done something very similar and didn't have any luck. You mention saving that file in the web folder, which I think must be the step I've been missing. Although I've used FrontPage - it's been for very basic stuff - hit publish and I'm done. I'm not sure I understand enough HTML to get the pictures to advance to the next page...wouldn't that take time to load the page? could it even go fast enough to go to music? I will also check out liveshare. I'm a photographer and "slideshows" set to music for clients to preview seems to be "hot" right now. Just another thing to "learn"! :)

:huh::D Thank You both for your suggestions and help. I'm getting ready to hit my busy season so i hope I can get this or something figured out before I get overwhelmed.

Hope it all works out. If you do one that you want to share, please post the link. I'm sure we would all like to see your work. :D

Speed would be dependent on the internet connection speed, and the size of your pictures. Putting it to music could be a little problematic. My initial suggestion would not work well with music since it would start new music with each page. But if the slide show were done with JavaScript, then you could stay on the same page, and the music would keep playing. Again, speed would be dependent on connection speed and the traffic on the network at the time. I think too, that most of this can be done with FrontPage without having to really know any HTML or JavaScript, but I've never played with FrontPage enough to tell you how to do it.

For you purposes, the video option may be as good a route as any.

I'd love to share one. I've not been able to work on this much as of late. I've tried the wmv file and such, but can't get it into FrontPage. I guess I'm not getting it in the file so it can see it. I've read instructions for FrontPage and it says to "Insert" it, but it just won't show up after I do. Thanks so much for being such a great group. I wish I had unlimited time to work on this. It's just busy right now!1

For when you do have time. pick a web page that exists or create a new one. Make sure your video is in you folder for the web - My Documents> MyWeb (you can copy and paste it there). Then use the Front Page Insert> Picture>Video and select the video. As an alternate you can just drag the video file to the web page.

If you have a web site, you may want a link to each of the videos from your home page and let each video on a separate web page. Or you can create the link to your video on you home page, publish your web, navigate to the page with the video and copy the address. You can send the address to the client. Now go back and re edit the page where the original link is located and delete the link; republish. That way you have a link to the page with the video but you do not have anywhere else that people could get to it - except for those that you send the link to. This is what I did to show you it can be done. There are other ways of doing it but this one is almost the easiest to do. You could just write the address of the web page and do that also.

I'm new to Roxio and their software. Just dumped $150 for their deluxe media creator. I wanted it so I could produce slideshows and share them on the internet. However, I am unable to find anyway to do that. Anyone here with experience in creating slideshows and stuffing them in FrontPage? Is it even possible? I went with Roxio thinking I was getting a lot - but so far have gotten a lot of hassle. I would appreciate any feedback. I'm pretty frustrated. It's taken me 2 weeks to get into the forums at all. Hope someone has some ideas! :)

Hi Brigitte, Yes Roxio/Sonic has been trying to make their web site better but as usually normal, sometimes it get screwed up royally. Glad you are here now.

Use VideoWave to create your slide show; output it to a format of your choosing. (See image) You want to balance size to quality. Size depends on your web site supplier on what they will allow. Also remember the better the quality, the slower the download so anyone having dial up may just give up if it takes too long. Copy (or save that file in you web folder and add it to a web page just as you would an image. Post back if you need more detailed information.

I don't have a lot of experience with FrontPage, but I'm quite sure it can handle a "slideshow" type of presentation, without any need for doing it as a video, or using anything in Easy Media Creator as sknis suggested. You can probably get better resolution, and a smaller overall size too. You just need to set up your pages with your pictures, and tell FrontPage to automatically open the "next" page after so many seconds. It's pretty standard HTML stuff. But, that's just my opinion of how I would present a slide show on the web.

Easy Media Creator has a lot of good tools for putting that slideshow onto a DVD video to share with your family via "classic mail".

Good luck!

More:

Here is a short demo of what you end up with. Use IE to open the page.

It is only a 5 image slide show with music and transitions. The demo should open in WMP or whatever you have set as a default. Quick time (free) doesn't recognize it unless you have a wmv plug-in.

I created the slide show with Video Wave and output it to a file (icon that looks like a reel). As per my other instructions. I selected wmv normal quality and let it render (took only a few seconds on my computer.). I then copied the file and pasted it into Front Page in the folder I chose. I created a new page (for this demo) and created a text and a link to the wmv file. I published the web page and the wmv file. If you look at the demo and time its download, you can judge what is an appropriate length (timing). As you can imaging, you may want to create several shorter slide shows to link to to speed up the download for those with slower connections.

What Dave D-W suggested is a standard feature in FrontPage but since you already have the software --- and the transitions look nice and the music sounds good !

Also, since you already have a web site of your own, you may not be interested but check out live share.

Archived