Help! I Need An Updated Driver...

RocketmanVT

I have a Hewlett Packard CD writer, 9100 series, and recently went from running Win98 (don't ask...) to Windows XP (again, don't ask.)

NOW, my writer won't work AT ALL, and I get the error message that my driver is out-of-date, and the unit has been disabled...I can't find any info on where to get the updates I need, for the following ADAPTEC/DIRECT CD:

cdudf.sys

UdfReadr.sys

cdr4_2k.sys

ANY help will be much appreciated!!!

I have a Hewlett Packard CD writer, 9100 series, and recently went from running Win98 (don't ask...) to Windows XP (again, don't ask.)

NOW, my writer won't work AT ALL, and I get the error message that my driver is out-of-date, and the unit has been disabled...I can't find any info on where to get the updates I need, for the following ADAPTEC/DIRECT CD:

cdudf.sys

UdfReadr.sys

cdr4_2k.sys

What Roxio software do you have?.

cdudf.sys

UdfReadr.sys

cdr4_2k.sys

I checked and XP SP3 should have the drivers built in. Go to device manager and delete the device. Re-boot and Windows XP should find it and reinstall it.

If not, go tothe HP site and get the drivers there.

Is the software you are using Adaptec Direct CD? Have you Googled for that program?

Hello Rocketman,

It looks to me that you have been using some older version of Direct CD in Win98, and now you have taken it to XP your operating system has disabled the old Direct CD Drivers. Would that be right? If so, your writer [hardware] hasn't been disabled, just the old drivers for Direct CD. Whatever you do, you will need to remove or disable these old drivers. Removal is best.

There are two CD writing systems that the old Adaptec software used to handle.

They were:

[1] "Packet Writing" using Direct CD, and

[2] "authoring" or "mastering" using CD Creator.

Direct CD used to use specially formatted discs, and you needed special software installed to read them. Creator would write standard CD-ROMs on blank unformatted discs, and any PC could read them without special software.

Please consider these things:

-If you want to continue formatting discs before use and 'packet-writing' a file or files to these discs through Windows Explorer the way you used to, then you're going to need a copy of the newer software called Drag-to-Disc [D2D]. The old Direct CD just isn't compatible with XP.

I can point you to a copy of D2D, but this software isn't very backward compatible and it's likely that your old Direct CD discs will appear "read only" to you. It's also possible you might not be able to read the old discs at all. You can re-format CD rewriteable discs and re-use them under D2D.

-If you have version 5 or better of Easy CD Creator, it can be installed on XP and will write CD-ROMs or audio CDs okay. This method is much more versatile and universally compatible, and is recommended instead of packet writing. We still have forums here for these earlier versions and can help you there if you need.

-even if you don't have Creator, XP itself will let you write files to unformatted data discs. It has the capability built-in. Look at XP's Help file system for how to do this.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived