Video Editing

hondarider

Question

I just installed Toast 11 into my Mac yesterday. I tape TV shows on Tivo, transfer them into my Mac using Tivo Transfer and edit out the commercials using the editing program from Toast 10 and burn them to DVD-HD with the HD Plug-In and play them on my Blu-ray Player. When I first started all this using Toast 10 it was a large learning curve. I finally got somewhat good at it but found that certain TV stations (KTTV) don't work very well in the editing phase. In Toast 11 I will get the "spinning rainbow wheel" while moving the editing point and have to force quit the program to get out of it. Last night I tried for the first time Toast 11 on a 1/2 hour program and it worked fine, today I tried a 1 hour program and not having much luck. It's like there is too much going on and the program is getting hung up. I'm running a iMac, OS 10.6.6, 8 GB of Ram, processor speed is 3.06 GHz. So far Toast 10 runs much better and I am not a happy camper. I hope it will get better. If you have any ideas that might help please let me know. Please be aware that I only know enough to be dangerous.

4 answers to this question

I'm having the opposite experience. I became so frustrated with the Toast Video Player/editor that I gave up trying to edit the TiVo transfers with Toast. The new editor is working much better for me. I'm glad I don't have to use the Video Player application any more for editing. It may be there are bugs still being worked out but I haven't encountered any as yet in the editor.

The toast video editor and video player for TiVo files is just garbage. I wish I would have stayed with toast 10. I get constant spinning beach balls and many crashes. I gave up and vowed never to buy toast 12.

That's odd. I found the editor in Toast 10 (using the Toast Video Player) to be buggy so that oftentimes the converted program got truncated at an edit point far from the end. The one in Toast 11 is working for me much better than the one in Toast 10. However, I haven't done much with the player (now called Roxio Video Player) so I don't know if it has any trouble with the TiVo transfers.

I just installed Toast 11 into my Mac yesterday. I tape TV shows on Tivo, transfer them into my Mac using Tivo Transfer and edit out the commercials using the editing program from Toast 10 and burn them to DVD-HD with the HD Plug-In and play them on my Blu-ray Player. When I first started all this using Toast 10 it was a large learning curve. I finally got somewhat good at it but found that certain TV stations (KTTV) don't work very well in the editing phase. In Toast 11 I will get the "spinning rainbow wheel" while moving the editing point and have to force quit the program to get out of it. Last night I tried for the first time Toast 11 on a 1/2 hour program and it worked fine, today I tried a 1 hour program and not having much luck. It's like there is too much going on and the program is getting hung up. I'm running a iMac, OS 10.6.6, 8 GB of Ram, processor speed is 3.06 GHz. So far Toast 10 runs much better and I am not a happy camper. I hope it will get better. If you have any ideas that might help please let me know. Please be aware that I only know enough to be dangerous.

OK I now believe that I seem to have this under control. The editor didn't like the one video that I tried. So far it has worked with three other videos I have edited. Yes it does appear to burn faster than Toast 10. About 1 1/2 hours to encode and write a video lasting 43 minutes, edited down from 1 hour. Toast 10 use to take at least 2 hours. It will take a little getting use to this editor but all will be OK. Thanks for your reply tsantee.

Archived