• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

My First Dvd Plays On Computer Not On Tabletop Players

baxfan98

Question

Gotta say........

After getting through that "missing certificate" issue, I was thrilled when I created my first dvd and it actually played on my computer. Then I was bumming when it wouldn't play on two seprate tabletop dvd players, one a standard, the other a blu-ray.

I started off experimenting with a small 5 min. flip ultra hd video clip, I think thats a MPEG4 file, of me parasailing. I used a DVD +R DL disc, but chose standard dvd ouput. I need to make these discs for standard players for my family members and nobody has HD or Blu-ray yet. Unless anybody out therre has any tips for getting the highest quality possible on disc that will work for them.

Do I need to down convert that file or something first? Also, just checking, but are DVD +R DL readable by most dvd players?

Thanks in advance!!

11 answers to this question

Does anything look not right here? I'll be buying some DVD R's and DVD RW's tomorrow. I'll try them and see if my standard dvd player and blu-ray player will play them. My blu-ray player supports +R DL, but says it must be finalized, whatever that means. Stupid question, but is there a difference between +R DL and just plain R DL? I only ask because I eventually want to burn a dvd longer than 2 hrs.

1. No, My DVD made a compliant DVD Video file and it automatically closes / finalizes it.

2. There are no plain R DL. There are DVD+R, DVD+R DL,DVD+RW and DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW DVD Media.

I wouldn't buy / use DVD-R DL, they are a odd duck.

I think it's a booktype bit setting issue for the +R media in your settop player.

Go into device manager and tell me the exact drive ID string you list. Example below.

List the make and model of your Blu-ray settop player?

post-97-023344100 1300108584.jpg

1. No, My DVD made a compliant DVD Video file and it automatically closes / finalizes it.

2. There are no plain R DL. There are DVD+R, DVD+R DL,DVD+RW and DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW DVD Media.

I wouldn't buy / use DVD-R DL, they are a odd duck.

I think it's a booktype bit setting issue for the +R media in your settop player.

Go into device manager and tell me the exact drive ID string you list. Example below.

List the make and model of your Blu-ray settop player?

post-97-023344100 1300108584.jpg

I had a feeling Roxio finalizes when you burn a dvd, even though I saw an option to Finalize Disc under Tools.

No plain R DL? I think I meant DVD-R DL. Is there a difference between DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL? I'm very new at the whole dvd burning, digital media thing, but I'm learning quick. So please bear with me. I read a little bit about dual layer and double layered dvd's last night and got the gist of how one layer is written on top on the other, double layered. The other is written between layers and read forward then backwards, dual layered. I'll take your advice and stay away from the DVD-R DL.

My blu-ray settop player is a Panasonic DMPBD-30. I've checked the firmware version and I'm up to date with version 2.9. My device manager looks like this:

post-93056-088654700 1300125080.png

Gotta say........

After getting through that "missing certificate" issue, I was thrilled when I created my first dvd and it actually played on my computer. Then I was bumming when it wouldn't play on two seprate tabletop dvd players, one a standard, the other a blu-ray.

I started off experimenting with a small 5 min. flip ultra hd video clip, I think thats a MPEG4 file, of me parasailing. I used a DVD +R DL disc, but chose standard dvd ouput. I need to make these discs for standard players for my family members and nobody has HD or Blu-ray yet. Unless anybody out therre has any tips for getting the highest quality possible on disc that will work for them.

Do I need to down convert that file or something first? Also, just checking, but are DVD +R DL readable by most dvd players?

Thanks in advance!!

What/how did you burn the video files? A DVD must be authored by using "Create DVD"; you cannot simply copy the files to a disc. How did you make the disc?

Gotta say........

Thanks in advance!!

What program are you using? You posted in the C2009 forum but mention "C2011 How To" in the subject line.

BTW, I would use RW DVDs for experimenting. There is not much point in wasting time (or money) with DL or BD discs if all you want is standard 4.7GB DVDs.

What/how did you burn the video files? A DVD must be authored by using "Create DVD"; you cannot simply copy the files to a disc. How did you make the disc?

I went through Home page, Create DVD'S, MyDVD window opened, I clicked on Standard Definition DVD, did not fool around with File>project settings, changed my background, added music, added movie, it fell right into place, then previewed, seemed fine, hit burn, went fine 100% complete. Plays fine on my desktop, not being read by table top dvd players.

What program are you using? You posted in the C2009 forum but mention "C2011 How To" in the subject line.

BTW, I would use RW DVDs for experimenting. There is not much point in wasting time (or money) with DL or BD discs if all you want is standard 4.7GB DVDs.

Ugh, I lost myself searching the thread posts, I should have posted under Creator 2011. Good point on the RW DVD's, +R DL'S are all I had though. Im sure I'll be doing a lot of experimenting as I'm less than 24 hrs. out of the box with Creator and dvd burning is a whole new world to me. So yeah, RW's definitely makes sense.

My BLU-RAY PANASONIC DMP-BD65K will play a +R media,NOT booktype bitsetting to DVD -Rom!

Your only show burning 230MB to the DVD+R DL media, kind of a waste.

Try some DVD-R media and slow your burn speed down to 8x then see it they will play in your settop Panasonic Player.

My BLU-RAY PANASONIC DMP-BD65K will play a +R media,NOT booktype bitsetting to DVD -Rom!

Your only show burning 230MB to the DVD+R DL media, kind of a waste.

Try some DVD-R media and slow your burn speed down to 8x then see it they will play in your settop Panasonic Player.

Yeah, I know using a +R DL was kind of a waste for such a short clip, but thats all I had on hand and I was impatient. Bought some RW's yesterday and burned the same movie to one. It worked fine on my Panasonic settop. I'm definitely going to have to revist the +R DL issue in the future, I do plan on making a long disc. For now though, I'm just going to experiment and familiarize myself with the many features of Roxio. Thanks for your help!!

I went through Home page, Create DVD'S, MyDVD window opened, I clicked on Standard Definition DVD, did not fool around with File>project settings, changed my background, added music, added movie, it fell right into place, then previewed, seemed fine, hit burn, went fine 100% complete. Plays fine on my desktop, not being read by table top dvd players.

+R DL'S are all I had though.

If you check your disc's in tools, get disc information and they look like my example?

It could be your settop player is having trouble reading +R media not booktype bit setting to DVD-Rom.

post-97-066583900 1300059020.jpg

post-97-067241300 1300059050.jpg

If you check your disc's in tools, get disc information and they look like my example?

It could be your settop player is having trouble reading +R media not booktype bit setting to DVD-Rom.

post-97-066583900 1300059020.jpg

post-97-067241300 1300059050.jpg

Does anything look not right here? I'll be buying some DVD R's and DVD RW's tomorrow. I'll try them and see if my standard dvd player and blu-ray player will play them. My blu-ray player supports +R DL, but says it must be finalized, whatever that means. Stupid question, but is there a difference between +R DL and just plain R DL? I only ask because I eventually want to burn a dvd longer than 2 hrs.

post-93056-008065200 1300062886.png

Archived