• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Direct Firewire Import From Digital 8 Camera?

Dofang

Question

Hope this isn't a FAQ:

I'm looking to pick up Creator (or Toast 11), but I can't find confirmation that I will be able to digitally import video from my Sony Digital 8 camera. While Apple's iMovie does the job, I'm faced with the choice of either a lengthy upload and conversion process, or a quick but unsatisfactory direct-to-DVD process (i.e., no chapter stops at dates, etc.)

Do either or both Roxio products allow me to do direct and preferably quick transfers from Digital 8 to DVD?

Thanks,

Dofang

5 answers to this question

Hope this isn't a FAQ:

I'm looking to pick up Creator (or Toast 11), but I can't find confirmation that I will be able to digitally import video from my Sony Digital 8 camera. While Apple's iMovie does the job, I'm faced with the choice of either a lengthy upload and conversion process, or a quick but unsatisfactory direct-to-DVD process (i.e., no chapter stops at dates, etc.)

Do either or both Roxio products allow me to do direct and preferably quick transfers from Digital 8 to DVD?

Thanks,

Dofang

Which Sony camcorder - model number.

Are you working with an Aplle or PC or both.

Please post your computer specs.

Let's see:

Camcorder: Sony DCR-TRV240

Mac: Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

PC: HP Pavilion

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz 2.39 GHz

RAM 3.00 GB

Let's see:

Camcorder: Sony DCR-TRV240

Mac: Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

PC: HP Pavilion

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz 2.39 GHz

RAM 3.00 GB

You camera records to digital tape - Hi8. I had my Canon HV30 connected to my computer just a few days ago and I had no problem capturing the video from a DV tape. Look at my signature to see that I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit. I did change to the legacy driver.

What I worry about is that the camcorder is so old that the drivers for the connections end with XP. I don't know if it will work with W7.

I would never try to burn directly to disc; too many chances for a foul up. One of the applications in Creator is "Plug and Burn" which will do what you want if you don't mind making coasters once in a while. ;)

Suggestion - buy directly from the Roxio store and try it; you have a 30 day money back guarantee.

I don't know about Toast 11; that is new.

@sknis -- Your Canon experience sounds promising, though I'll make sure I have the old Sony drivers handy in case I have trouble. But it sounds like "Plug and Burn" is exactly what the doctor ordered, shiny coasters notwithstanding!

Archived