Video Capture Locks Up

PapaDon

Question

When I click on "Capture Video", it opens up the new screen and then freezes. If I look at the Windows Task Manager, it says the process is "Not Responding". It won't even let me end the process. The only way I can get out of it is to reboot the computer. However, I can minimize the Capture Video screen and work on other things. I have uninstalled and re-installed this beast several times and still no luck in capturing video. It doesn't even get to the point of asking me what I want to capture.

System is: Microsoft Windows XP SP3

Media Center Edition

Pentium D Processor 3.00GHz

2.50 GB of RAM

13 answers to this question

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an Epson V700, HP Photosmart 7960, Dymo Discpainter and Toshiba external hard drive all connected via USB. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see what happens.

I disconnected all USB devices and rebooted computer. Video Capture still locks up as soon as I click on it. Windows Task Manager says it is "Not Responding". I really don't know what else to try.

The Canon camera may have a firewire hookup, but the key may be in what Papadon describes. That is, video capture is locking up regardless of whether the camera is turned on or off. What I suggest seems to be a rather easy task of elimination. It might not resolve the problem, but it's easy to do and seems worth the try.

The camcorder is a Canon HD Video Camcorder HV20. It is hooked to the computer via firewire. I had no problem capturing video when using Roxio Creator 2010. I have not uninstalled Roxio 2011 and reinstalled Roxio 2010 to see if that works. That is my next step. I had hoped to resolve the problem without going through all that hassle. I have used Roxio for many years but there always seems to be one problem after another. I can't even begin to count how many times I have uninstalled and reinstalled all their versions. I'm wondering if it isn't time to move on to another product.

I disconnected all USB devices and rebooted computer. Video Capture still locks up as soon as I click on it. Windows Task Manager says it is "Not Responding". I really don't know what else to try.

Well outerbank ?

PapaDon. When you uninstalled and reinstalled the software did you have your anti-virus on, paused or off? Norton almost has to be removed for proper installation since there is no easy way of shutting it off.

Do whatever you need to with your anti virus to get it to not be working. Put the disc in your drive and click on repair when the options comes up.

Did you ever install the Sp for Creator 2011?

Well outerbank ?

PapaDon. When you uninstalled and reinstalled the software did you have your anti-virus on, paused or off? Norton almost has to be removed for proper installation since there is no easy way of shutting it off.

Do whatever you need to with your anti virus to get it to not be working. Put the disc in your drive and click on repair when the options comes up.

Well sknis, how do you know papadon is even using Norton antivirus? However, if he is using Norton antivirus it's not that difficult to turn off. Click the Start button. Then click RUN. In the dialog box, type the following text: services.msc, then click OK. In the Services window, under the Name column, locate and double-click Norton (whatever Norton product you're using). Under service status, click STOP and click OK. After installing Creator 2011 be sure to restart your antivirus program. You may also want to turn off Idle Time Scan. That is, if you're using Norton.

Well outerbank ?

Anti-virus was probably on when I installed. Will try that.

Not sure what you mean by "install the Sp".

Anti-virus was probably on when I installed. Will try that.

Not sure what you mean by "install the Sp".

The service pack for Creator 2011. Go to the top of this forum and hover on the support tab and then SoftwareUpdates.

The camcorder is a Canon HD Video Camcorder HV20. It is hooked to the computer via firewire. I had no problem capturing video when using Roxio Creator 2010. I have not uninstalled Roxio 2011 and reinstalled Roxio 2010 to see if that works. That is my next step. I had hoped to resolve the problem without going through all that hassle. I have used Roxio for many years but there always seems to be one problem after another. I can't even begin to count how many times I have uninstalled and reinstalled all their versions. I'm wondering if it isn't time to move on to another product.

I feel your pain. Installed and uninstalled Creator 2011 several times also. It started with Video Copy & Convert. Video Copy & Convert would lock up. However, it didn't lock up the computer. Discovered that one of two Epson printers that I had connected to the computer conflicted with Video Copy & Convert. It is now disconnected from the computer and Video Copy & Convert operates successfully. The next problem occurred after attempting a video capture in Media Import. Just as you, both video capture in Media Import and the computer locked up. Uninstalled and reinstalled Creator 2011. Still had the problem. This time it was the Canon scanner. Now my Canon scanner is disconnected from the computer so that video capture can function correctly. I recognize that you're using a firewire connection to perform video capture, but I thought that if you have one or more USB devices connected to your computer, it might be worthwhile to determine if this is the cause of your problem. It's odd that neither the keyboard nor the mouse, both of which are USB connected, caused any conflict. It seems like a far easier task to disconnect one or more USB devices, and then reconnect one at a time to determine which may be the culprit, rather than go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling Creator 2011 without any assurance that the problem will be resolved.

When I click on "Capture Video", it opens up the new screen and then freezes. If I look at the Windows Task Manager, it says the process is "Not Responding". It won't even let me end the process. The only way I can get out of it is to reboot the computer. However, I can minimize the Capture Video screen and work on other things. I have uninstalled and re-installed this beast several times and still no luck in capturing video. It doesn't even get to the point of asking me what I want to capture.

System is: Microsoft Windows XP SP3

Media Center Edition

Pentium D Processor 3.00GHz

2.50 GB of RAM

What is the source that you are trying to capture from?

What is the source that you are trying to capture from?

I am trying to capture video from a Canon HDV video camera. However, it never gets far enough to identify the source. It does the same thing if I have the camera turned on or turned off.

I feel your pain. Installed and uninstalled Creator 2011 several times also. It started with Video Copy & Convert. Video Copy & Convert would lock up. However, it didn't lock up the computer. Discovered that one of two Epson printers that I had connected to the computer conflicted with Video Copy & Convert. It is now disconnected from the computer and Video Copy & Convert operates successfully. The next problem occurred after attempting a video capture in Media Import. Just as you, both video capture in Media Import and the computer locked up. Uninstalled and reinstalled Creator 2011. Still had the problem. This time it was the Canon scanner. Now my Canon scanner is disconnected from the computer so that video capture can function correctly. I recognize that you're using a firewire connection to perform video capture, but I thought that if you have one or more USB devices connected to your computer, it might be worthwhile to determine if this is the cause of your problem. It's odd that neither the keyboard nor the mouse, both of which are USB connected, caused any conflict. It seems like a far easier task to disconnect one or more USB devices, and then reconnect one at a time to determine which may be the culprit, rather than go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling Creator 2011 without any assurance that the problem will be resolved.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an Epson V700, HP Photosmart 7960, Dymo Discpainter and Toshiba external hard drive all connected via USB. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see what happens.

I am trying to capture video from a Canon HDV video camera. However, it never gets far enough to identify the source. It does the same thing if I have the camera turned on or turned off.

I encountered the same problem with video capture as you. Had to perform a hard shut down of the computer and then reboot. Are you using Roxio's USB capture device to capture video? I do. Here's what I found was the problem. When my Canon scanner is connected to the computer (a USB connection), the scanner conflicts with video capture. Roxio tech support indicates that it is a hardware conflict. Since the scanner is not used that often, it's just left unplugged from the USB port until needed. You may not have a scanner connected to the computer, however, if you have other USB devices connected, it might be worth while disconnecting each to determine which device may be causing the conflict.

I encountered the same problem with video capture as you. Had to perform a hard shut down of the computer and then reboot. Are you using Roxio's USB capture device to capture video? I do. Here's what I found was the problem. When my Canon scanner is connected to the computer (a USB connection), the scanner conflicts with video capture. Roxio tech support indicates that it is a hardware conflict. Since the scanner is not used that often, it's just left unplugged from the USB port until needed. You may not have a scanner connected to the computer, however, if you have other USB devices connected, it might be worth while disconnecting each to determine which device may be causing the conflict.

Outerbank, I believe the OP has a digital camcorder had would be hooked to the computer via firewire.

Don, which camcorer do you have Canon makes a lot of differnt ones. Model number please.

Outerbank, I believe the OP has a digital camcorder had would be hooked to the computer via firewire.

Don, which camcorer do you have Canon makes a lot of differnt ones. Model number please.

The Canon camera may have a firewire hookup, but the key may be in what Papadon describes. That is, video capture is locking up regardless of whether the camera is turned on or off. What I suggest seems to be a rather easy task of elimination. It might not resolve the problem, but it's easy to do and seems worth the try.

Archived