• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 10 Pro Unwanted Compression

windaddicted

Question

7 answers to this question

Toast has to make it into a compatible format for playing on a Blu-ray player (assuming you're using the setting to make a Blu-ray video disc). That is either MPEG 4 or MPEG 2 depending on the settings in Toast. If you don't need it to play on a Blu-ray player then burn it as a data disc and Toast won't change the file in any way.

Toast has to make it into a compatible format for playing on a Blu-ray player (assuming you're using the setting to make a Blu-ray video disc). That is either MPEG 4 or MPEG 2 depending on the settings in Toast. If you don't need it to play on a Blu-ray player then burn it as a data disc and Toast won't change the file in any way.

That's the problem. I want to burn uncompressed blu-ray disks.

Toast compresses 9 gigs to less than 2 gigs. 15 gigs to less than 3 gigs.

One of the teck support people said it might be defaulting to standard def. dvd size.

He said they were working on a fix. I've been waiting.

I really want to start burning full quality blu-ray dvds

That's the problem. I want to burn uncompressed blu-ray disks.

Toast compresses 9 gigs to less than 2 gigs. 15 gigs to less than 3 gigs.

One of the teck support people said it might be defaulting to standard def. dvd size.

He said they were working on a fix. I've been waiting.

You can burn uncompressed Blu-ray discs with the Data window but they won't play in a Blu-ray video player. In order to play in a Blu-ray player they must meet the Blu-ray video specs. That is what Toast is doing when it is encoding the video. If it didn't do that it wouldn't play. You may want to Google for Blu-ray video specs.

When I drag an uncompressed QT movie into toast 10 pro, it compresses it. 15 gigs becomes less than 3 gigs.
I want to burn uncompressed blu-ray disks. Toast compresses 9 gigs to less than 2 gigs. 15 gigs to less than 3 gigs.

BD doesn't support uncompressed video. Only compressed, with a video bitrate upto 40 Mbps, using the AVC/H.264, MPEG-2 or VC-1 codec. (At high bitrate, a 3 GB file would be about 9 minutes.) True uncompressed HD video would be about 600 Mbps; i.e. at least 15 times more.

Even the very best quality BD movies ("Tier 0" Reference Quality, like 'Wall•E' or 'I, Robot') use compression -- not just to save space on the disc, but because the BD specification requires codecs that use compression.

BD doesn't support uncompressed video. Only compressed, with a video bitrate upto 40 Mbps, using the AVC/H.264, MPEG-2 or VC-1 codec. (At high bitrate, a 3 GB file would be about 9 minutes.) True uncompressed HD video would be about 600 Mbps; i.e. at least 15 times more.

Even the very best quality BD movies ("Tier 0" Reference Quality, like 'Wall•E' or 'I, Robot') use compression -- not just to save space on the disc, but because the BD specification requires codecs that use compression.

Archived