• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Getting Started Questions

brnn69

Question

Hi I be a newbie / novice just started using Toast (Used Roxio Products on Windows machines previously).

Q1. I have previously DL a fair number of video clips (music) from U-Tube mostly in FLV format, in familiarising myself with the product I ran these files via the conversion function (seemed to work) as they now play via ITunes from a 'Toast' Play list. I noted when the conversion was finished that for each the clips converted that an ICON was displayed on my IMAC screen I do not really want these icons cluttering up my screen but I am reluctant to delete them until I know it will not stuff up my DL files. I could not find any reference to this in the tutorials. Is it safe to dong all these icons?

Q2. I tried with moderate success to burn some selected tracks to a DVD I had an initial issue where the gauge below the window I loaded the files into indicted I had space to burn i.e. the window I dragged my vid clips to showed only 1.95GB with 2-3 GB remaining I had 36 clips in the window when I started the burn it went through OK however when it got past one phase a message indicated I had insufficient space on the DISC I found this a little confusing and would have expected to know this fact B4 I started the burn! I deleted 8 tracks and a DVD was created. Did I miss a step in the process?

Q3 Problem or message indicated at the start of the burn process that I had a combination of NTSC and PAL on the tracks being burnt with a 'blah' message but no indication it may be fatal so i went ahead as I could not find where i could flag a change for all PAL or NTSC in the setting. When I played the DVD some tracks (most) are fine but some are out of sync I presume this may be the different format ones. When can I find the function to sync the format PAL or NTSC. I know when I use Real Player there is a setting change required. Also when i play the DVD via my MAC and PC the track selection buttons do not seem to work they did via my Home Theatre payer though.

Apart from the Q's I like the look and feel of Toast compared with other products i have tried on the MAC

1 answer to this question

Hi I be a newbie / novice just started using Toast (Used Roxio Products on Windows machines previously).

Q1. I have previously DL a fair number of video clips (music) from U-Tube mostly in FLV format, in familiarising myself with the product I ran these files via the conversion function (seemed to work) as they now play via ITunes from a 'Toast' Play list. I noted when the conversion was finished that for each the clips converted that an ICON was displayed on my IMAC screen I do not really want these icons cluttering up my screen but I am reluctant to delete them until I know it will not stuff up my DL files. I could not find any reference to this in the tutorials. Is it safe to dong all these icons?

Toast saves the converted video to your Mac's hard drive and it gets imported from there into iTunes. When iTunes imports videos and audio it makes a new copy in the iTunes Library. So you'll have two copies. Toast is not allowed to write files into the iTunes Library so this is the way it gets done. You can check that those videos did get copied by iTunes into the iTunes Library by selecting them in iTunes and choosing Get Info, or by looking inside the iTunes Library folder. If they are present you can delete the ones that Toast wrote that are cluttering your screen because they are duplicates.

Q2. I tried with moderate success to burn some selected tracks to a DVD I had an initial issue where the gauge below the window I loaded the files into indicted I had space to burn i.e. the window I dragged my vid clips to showed only 1.95GB with 2-3 GB remaining I had 36 clips in the window when I started the burn it went through OK however when it got past one phase a message indicated I had insufficient space on the DISC I found this a little confusing and would have expected to know this fact B4 I started the burn! I deleted 8 tracks and a DVD was created. Did I miss a step in the process?

Toast usually can fit about 3-1/2 hours of video to a DVD when Toast is doing the encoding. If the 36 clips exceeded that total length then it's understandable it wouldn't fit. I don't know why the scale in Toast did not show this. An easy workaround is to choose Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button. You can Save as Disc Image from a command in the File menu or by clicking on the name of your DVD burner and selecting Save as Disc Image from the popup window. When you do this the Burn button changes to Save. Once you have a disc image you can burn it to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window. If it is too large to fit a single-layer disc, Toast should be able to apply additional compression to make it fit the disc. This way you don't have to guess how much video will fit. There are maximum compressions so there are times when Toast can't fit a larger disc image to a single-layer disc, but oftentimes it can.

Q3 Problem or message indicated at the start of the burn process that I had a combination of NTSC and PAL on the tracks being burnt with a 'blah' message but no indication it may be fatal so i went ahead as I could not find where i could flag a change for all PAL or NTSC in the setting. When I played the DVD some tracks (most) are fine but some are out of sync I presume this may be the different format ones. When can I find the function to sync the format PAL or NTSC. I know when I use Real Player there is a setting change required. Also when i play the DVD via my MAC and PC the track selection buttons do not seem to work they did via my Home Theatre payer though.

You set your preference for PAL or NTSC format in Toast Preferences. Choose whichever is appropriate for the country where you live. When Toast sees you have PAL videos when your preference is NTSC or vice versa it alerts you to this and should ask you how you want to proceed. You want them all to be the same. I haven't seen this message for a long time and haven't checked it with Toast 11 as yet, but I'm presuming that it is still working the way it used to work. This only applies if you are making a video DVD. If you are using the Convert window to convert the videos to other formats for playing as a video file on a computer, it doesn't matter whether the source is PAL or NTSC. Computers don't care. TVs and standalone DVD players do care.

As for the audio sync issue I'd have to know the specs of your source videos and whether you chose to make them PAL or NTSC.

Archived