philiphotog

Stuck At 99%

Question

Aye, the perils of upgrading. Roxio- please take note. Looks like a bug.

Dropped in a MKV files to Toast 11 last night. No waiting for it to load up unlike Toast 10. I was thrilled.

However, after getting to 99%, Toast 11 says 00:00 remaining and it's been like this for two hours. There's no spinning wheel or non response. Just sitting there.

Is there a log file I can look at to see the status? Anyone else had this problem.

Same problem using Sony DVD-R

I know this is little bit "out there" but I was told at Best Buy today that they no longer carry blank Sony DVD+Rs because they weren't "finalizing" correctly. I wonder if this 99% problem falls in that category? I've been using Sony DVD+Rs while experiencing this problem. But I know that it is highly doubtful that this makes any difference.

I have both toast 10 & 11. I updated 11.0.0 to 11.0.1. That seems to have fixed my media browser problems, and my 99% burns. I am not using a blu ray burner- I'm using the superdrive on my Mac pro to make AVCHD blu ray discs using ordinary DVD 5s. I had numerous encoding problems with any version of Toast 10 past 10.0.2 which is why I bought Toast 11. So far no encoding problems with Toast 11.0.1.

I bought Toast 10 and 2 weeks later 11 came out. Then 2 weeks later I was sent an email that discounted Toast 11Pro to $70. I bought it so I could process my large videos using the MKV format. I get the 99% hang too and have tried several workarounds, including a burn to image. Nothing. I've been a loyal Toast fan but this is a re-occuring theme with them. Where's the competition?

I bought Toast 10 and 2 weeks later 11 came out. Then 2 weeks later I was sent an email that discounted Toast 11Pro to $70. I bought it so I could process my large videos using the MKV format. I get the 99% hang too and have tried several workarounds, including a burn to image. Nothing. I've been a loyal Toast fan but this is a re-occuring theme with them. Where's the competition?

Opened a ticket with support.

There are at least several reports of this on this discussion board. I've had to abort the burn, then force quit Toast to get disc out. Resulting disc seems to be missing about the last 5-10 seconds of content. Work around is to create a disc image of your project, and then use Copy>burn image. Or go back to Toast 10 until they fix this thing. BTW, tech support has not been helpful on any of the bugs so far reported on this board.

I'm working with Tech Support and they always take you down the same path as they have tried with others who are posting on this board. They sent me the standard link to "How to burn on a Mac" and then I was asked for a screenshot of the error (when in fact there is no error, it just hangs at 99%). Now I'm being told to turn off buffer underrun, which someone on this the message board said that it doesn't work either.

Having exact same problem. Stuck at 99% for hours now. Second time. Is there a fix? What else is this program for if not to burn dvds? I just bought it this week. Driving me nuts.

Randy

You got further then I did, mine stuck at 99% on the encoding phase. I'm working with tech support to see if we can get more visibility to the problem. So far I'm getting canned responses.

I also had hangup at 99% when saving a BD image using Toast 11.0.2 (~20GB image). As a test, I did Force Quit of Toast at this point to insure not losing encoded assets, and reopened previously saved .disc file. Then saved image file again, which reused previously encoded assets and this time successfully created image file. Burned a BD disc from this and everything seems to work OK when played disc in BD player. I did Force Quit of Toast because not sure if encoded assets (in 'Documents/Roxio Converted Items) would be lost if I hit cancel button. If encoded assets not lost during cancel, maybe don't need to do Force Quit. I've only created one BD image file using Toast 11, so don't know at this point.

One other quirk I noticed after installing Toast 11 Blu-ray plug-in. Seems to disable my Toast 10 Blu-ray plug-in. Reinstalling Toast 10 Blu-ray plug-in seems to fix, but then disables Toast 11 Blu-ray plug-in. Then had to reinstall Toast 11 Blu-ray plug-in. Would be nice if both plug-ins could work at same time.

I have very large HD projects and it takes a very long time to encode and burn, so I'm not looking for a workaround that will add even more time to the process. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Andy, thanks for pursuing this issue with Roxio. I am having the same issues and getting no resolution from their technical support nor acknowledgement that this is a known issue with Toast 11. All I receive is e-mail after e-mail with a new link to their canned responses. At one point I was told that my issue had been escalated to a higher level of technical service only to receive a message that I should upgrade to 11.0.1. (which had already been performed).

This was my first purchase of a Roxio product. Looks like I should have purchased Toast 10 instead of 11.

There have been many times that this product works like a charm, but in the last couple of years their updates have been horrible. They must have cut the code testing budget during the economic downturn and have not restored it since. Better do something soon, there's a lot of good competition that could easily replace them.

Hi All,

Finally got a response from Roxio Tech Service that worked for my burning of HD DVD videos from iMovie

To fix this issue, please follow the steps given below:

- Click Recording Options > Recorder Settings.

- Click the Advanced tab.

- Uncheck Buffer Underrun Protection.

- Try burning the disc.

Was finally able to burn the projects I had created to disc and was recognized by my Blu-Ray player.

Good luck

Sorry but it doesn't work for me!!!

The "fix" doesn't work for me either. I wonder if I'll be able to convince the store to take this software back. It simply doesn't work.

Sorry but it doesn't work for me!!!

No, it doesn't work.

I've got the same answer from Roxio.

My opinion is: There is a relation between the encoding process and the error.

If You try to burn encoded Video (from Compressor etc) with New Encoding = "Never", then it runs.

If You cancelled Toast after the error, that'S the same things: encoded material ist present in your toast folder, Toast takes this and burns (or writes images) very well.

Changing the settings does nothing!

Note: This bug only affects Blu-Ray for my mine.

Regards

Frank

Edited by DrFrankieWb

Looks like the 11.0.3 beta has fixed it. I was able to complete the burn and, although the disc was rejected by a Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player, a Panasonic unit played it! :)

I am stuck at 99% while Writing a toast image file to a SATA hard drive in my mac pro. I was not using MKV as the input source, but

an AVI instead. It went through the encoding fine, then started the write of the .toast file and got up to 99% and then stopped. No

cpu usage that I can see with Activity Monitor, OS X 10.6.7, and no disc IO that I can see either. The file modified time on the toast

file is from when it was 98% done, but it has now been sitting all night and all day at 99% and has not finished the write.

This is taking a 3.96 Gig AVI file on my mac, and making a Blu-Ray disc image for later burning.

Roxio, something is wrong.

I am using the 11.0.3 beta version the link for which was posted in this thread, and it has not fixed the problem.

Thanks

Well, I just upgraded to the new "Titanium" beta and still stuck at 99% - so I guess "back to the drawing board Roxio"

Can you answer the following?

Project: Was this blu-ray or high def DVD?

Video source: what kind of video, as much detail as possible (file type, length, other attributes

I am stuck at 99% while Writing a toast image file to a SATA hard drive in my mac pro. I was not using MKV as the input source, but

an AVI instead. It went through the encoding fine, then started the write of the .toast file and got up to 99% and then stopped. No

cpu usage that I can see with Activity Monitor, OS X 10.6.7, and no disc IO that I can see either. The file modified time on the toast

file is from when it was 98% done, but it has now been sitting all night and all day at 99% and has not finished the write.

This is taking a 3.96 Gig AVI file on my mac, and making a Blu-Ray disc image for later burning.

Roxio, something is wrong.

I am using the 11.0.3 beta version the link for which was posted in this thread, and it has not fixed the problem.

Thanks

Can you answer the following?

Project: Was this blu-ray or high def DVD?

Video source: what kind of video, as much detail as possible (file type, length, other attributes). You said AVI, AVI is just a container. Was it DivX? XviD? Other?

thanks

I just downloaded the 11.0.3 beta that is supposed to fix the 99% issue and guess what?????

I downloaded it and entered my serial number and it is not recognizing my BD plugin so it won't even let me burn a Blu-Ray disc,,,, UGHHHH!!!!

My project is a .mov file that is 9.06 GB.

When I open 11.0.3 beta I click on BluRay in the upper left menu, it gives the following message

toast11proerror.png

I am using an MCE 12X Blu-Ray Recordable external drive via USB on a three month old Mac Pro.

Ironically I have had success with a RE-Writable BD but Toast hung at 99% forever.

The disc did play in the Sony BluRay BDP-S570 player though. Two different brand BluRay blanks have been wasted... a total of 6 discs, Philips White Inkjet 25GB BD-R and Windata BD-R.... this is unacceptable!

Dan

Edited by dpdan

Try reinstall of Blu-ray plugin and see if works then. Also recommend creating disk image first, and if successful, burn from that.

Try reinstall of Blu-ray plugin and see if works then. Also recommend creating disk image first, and if successful, burn from that.

Hi pruther,

I purchased Toast 11 Pro with the BD plugin and I just reinstalled Toast but I can not find the BD plugin,

where can I find it?

Thanks a lot for trying to help !!!! really :)

I have wasted and entire day with this crap and now nine discs.

Dan

Edited by dpdan

I purchased Toast 11 Pro, which has BR plugin bundled. If you also purchased, in original Toast 11 (not beta) Pro install folder, should be a folder called Pro Apps. BR plugin installer in here. During install, you will need to enter BR plugin registration number that was sent to you. Hope this helps.

I purchased Toast 11 Pro, which has BR plugin bundled. If you also purchased, in original Toast 11 (not beta) Pro install folder, should be a folder called Pro Apps. BR plugin installer in here. During install, you will need to enter BR plugin registration number that was sent to you. Hope this helps.

ugh boy,,,

thanks for your help, I reinstalled Toast 11 Titanium Pro and found the plugin in the pro apps folder as you said,

I tried burning another disc and now it is stuck on

"Writing "BDMV Video" ...

Average write speed 1X

Current write speed 1X

0% completed 1:41 remaining

I will try it in the Sony DVD player and see what happens. If it doesn't work then I will try creating a disc image first... what a load a crap!

Force Quit states that Toast Titanium is running normal

(Not Responding) is what I would have expected to see.

Dan

Edited by dpdan

ugh boy,,,

thanks for your help, I reinstalled Toast 11 Titanium Pro and found the plugin in the pro apps folder as you said,

I tried burning another disc and now it is stuck on

"Writing "BDMV Video" ...

Average write speed 1X

Current write speed 1X

0% completed 1:41 remaining

I will try it in the Sony DVD player and see what happens. If it doesn't work then I will try creating a disc image first... what a load a crap!

Force Quit states that Toast Titanium is running normal

(Not Responding) is what I would have expected to see.

Dan

If you reinstalled the original Toast 11, you will still probably have 99% problem. Need to install 11.0.3 beta to fix that. But after installing beta, might need to run BR plugin installer again. To cut down on disk burn failures, recommend saving disk image file first (File-> Save Disk Image). If successfully create Disk image, then can use Copy function to burn image file onto BD-R. See Toast help for image file if want more info. Good luck.

thanks again pruthe,

I burned a re-writable BluRay disc last night that does play in the Sony player, but I could not search forward or backwards.

Now I am going to try the disc image workaround.

I really do appreciate you taking time to help me..

Dan

Now I am going to try the disc image workaround.

Dan

a storm has knocked out power so I am at a stand still. I called Roxio tech support and they sent me a generic email with things to uncheck (yea right)

I already tried that on my now 13 wasted BluRay discs.

here is the info they sent....

Dear Mr. Kury,

Thank you for contacting Roxio Customer Care.

As per our conversation, I understand that you are having burning issues with Toast 11 wherein it stops at 99%.

As a response, please follow the procedures below that will help you fix the burning issues using your Toast 11 software:

# If you are using a drive that came built into your mac, run software update to ensure you have the latest firmware for the recorder. You can also double check on Apple's support site to ensure you have the latest version.

If you purchased your as an external unit or installed it into your Mac on your own, you will need to contact the manufacturer of the drive to see if they have Mac compatible installer for the firmware update. If they don't you may need to use a PC to install the firmware update.

# Media. Be sure that your media is clean and blemish free. Also, avoid using generic or store brand media. While some generic or store brand media is high quality, you're better off using name brand media or asking checking out our Discussion Groups to see what other customers have had the best luck with.

# Reduce your recording speed to help reduce errors. By default, Toast will use the best speed, which is the fastest speed that your recorder and the blank media both support. Reducing the recording/write speed will improve data transfer rates when burning, and help avoid burn failures.

* Click Recording Options > Recorder Settings.

* Click the Basic tab.

* Select a lower writing speed, preferable half of what you burner's maximum.

# Don't Verify your data. Verifying your data is designed to make sure your project is burned correctly by comparing the data on your hard drive with the data on your recently burned disc. If you are running into burning failures, turning off Verify Data may help.

* Click the Advanced tab.

* Uncheck Verify Data.

# Enable Buffer Underrun Protection. A buffer underrun error occurs when your hard disk is unable to send data fast enough to the recorder while recording, causing the blank disc to be unusable. This option is available only if your recorder supports buffer underrun prevention.

* Select Buffer Underrun Protection.

# Bad connection. There are two things that can cause a bad connection: a problem with the OS recognizing the drive properly or a physical problem.

* The drive may actually be recognized, but it may not function correctly. If the drive is not seen at all, check the Apple System Profile (Apple menu > About this Mac > More info) to see if the drive is listed properly under Hardware > Disc Burning.

* If you have a bad physical connection, e.g. the drive isn't recognized, follow the standard steps of making sure all plugs and connections are secure and, if external, the unit is powered up. Also try shutting down and then restarting the machine with the burner or device powered up and securely connected.

In case that the issue still persists, please send us the system profiler to further isolate the issue:

How to get System Profiler in Mac.

Click on the Apple icon ->About this Mac->More Info

The system profiler is now open. Click on File-> Save As and select rtf in the File Format drop down menu.

How to attach a file in a web ticket:

1. Log-in to http://selfserve.roxio.com

2. login using your email registered to Roxio

3. To the rightside you will see Quick Links, under 'Quick Links' click on 'View Your Help Ticket History'.

4. Click on the web ticket and click on 'Reply'. Add another attachment.

5. Please refrain from creating multiple tickets on a single issue to avoid confusion

If you have any questions about the suggestion above or the issue still persist, please update this webticket with the steps you have tried and/or any additional information that may help us resolving the concern.

Sincerely,

Tin

Roxio Customer Care

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/default.html

Have you tried our online self-service tools?

Knowledgebase?- http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx

Discussion Groups - http://forums.support.roxio.com/

What's Next?

1. Log into https://selfserve.roxio.com

2. Click on View Your Help Ticket History.

3. Click on your ticket number to view the response and update.

Thanks again,

The Roxio Customer Support Team

a storm has knocked out power so I am at a stand still. I called Roxio tech support and they sent me a generic email with things to uncheck (yea right)

I already tried that on my now 13 wasted BluRay discs.

here is the info they sent....

Dear Mr. Kury,

Thank you for contacting Roxio Customer Care.

As per our conversation, I understand that you are having burning issues with Toast 11 wherein it stops at 99%.

As a response, please follow the procedures below that will help you fix the burning issues using your Toast 11 software:

# If you are using a drive that came built into your mac, run software update to ensure you have the latest firmware for the recorder. You can also double check on Apple's support site to ensure you have the latest version.

If you purchased your as an external unit or installed it into your Mac on your own, you will need to contact the manufacturer of the drive to see if they have Mac compatible installer for the firmware update. If they don't you may need to use a PC to install the firmware update.

# Media. Be sure that your media is clean and blemish free. Also, avoid using generic or store brand media. While some generic or store brand media is high quality, you're better off using name brand media or asking checking out our Discussion Groups to see what other customers have had the best luck with.

# Reduce your recording speed to help reduce errors. By default, Toast will use the best speed, which is the fastest speed that your recorder and the blank media both support. Reducing the recording/write speed will improve data transfer rates when burning, and help avoid burn failures.

* Click the Basic tab.

* Select a lower writing speed, preferable half of what you burner's maximum.

# Don't Verify your data. Verifying your data is designed to make sure your project is burned correctly by comparing the data on your hard drive with the data on your recently burned disc. If you are running into burning failures, turning off Verify Data may help.

* Uncheck Verify Data.

# Enable Buffer Underrun Protection. A buffer underrun error occurs when your hard disk is unable to send data fast enough to the recorder while recording, causing the blank disc to be unusable. This option is available only if your recorder supports buffer underrun prevention.

* Select Buffer Underrun Protection.

# Bad connection. There are two things that can cause a bad connection: a problem with the OS recognizing the drive properly or a physical problem.

* The drive may actually be recognized, but it may not function correctly. If the drive is not seen at all, check the Apple System Profile (Apple menu > About this Mac > More info) to see if the drive is listed properly under Hardware > Disc Burning.

* If you have a bad physical connection, e.g. the drive isn't recognized, follow the standard steps of making sure all plugs and connections are secure and, if external, the unit is powered up. Also try shutting down and then restarting the machine with the burner or device powered up and securely connected.

In case that the issue still persists, please send us the system profiler to further isolate the issue:

How to get System Profiler in Mac.

Click on the Apple icon ->About this Mac->More Info

The system profiler is now open. Click on File-> Save As and select rtf in the File Format drop down menu.

How to attach a file in a web ticket:

1. Log-in to http://selfserve.roxio.com

2. login using your email registered to Roxio

3. To the rightside you will see Quick Links, under 'Quick Links' click on 'View Your Help Ticket History'.

4. Click on the web ticket and click on 'Reply'. Add another attachment.

5. Please refrain from creating multiple tickets on a single issue to avoid confusion

If you have any questions about the suggestion above or the issue still persist, please update this webticket with the steps you have tried and/or any additional information that may help us resolving the concern.

Sincerely,

Tin

Roxio Customer Care

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/default.html

Have you tried our online self-service tools?

Knowledgebase?- http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx

Discussion Groups - http://forums.support.roxio.com/

What's Next?

1. Log into https://selfserve.roxio.com

2. Click on View Your Help Ticket History.

3. Click on your ticket number to view the response and update.

Thanks again,

The Roxio Customer Support Team

I just upgraded to 11 pro Sunday, the 22nd. It did not take long for me to run into the 99% issue. I upgraded solely for the Blu-ray plugin. I submitted a ticket Sunday afternoon. To day, Tuesday the 24th, having not heard anything from Roxio support, I checked the ticket and found the same reply as dpdan posted. My question to everyone is this, Does anyone know of another program that will burn to Blu-ray on mac? Considering that this thread was started some time ago and that there is no solution, I am not expecting much from Roxio at this point.