• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

NEWBIE--COUNTING DOWN TO LAUNCH

Smitty

Question

I have a big library of S-VHS and Mini DV material, all on a specific project.

In the FAR term, I will be trying to author DVDs for distribution from that material.

In the NEAR term, I need to move my brain from a career of film editing to video authoring.

Before I jump in with both feet, I think I want to:

1. Capture S-VHS and Mini DV
  2. Edit this material
  3. Place subtitles in some sections of the edited videos
  4. Make DVDs and evaluate them for quality before I move up to beefier hard and software

Is there a product which will allow me to do these jobs?

(Of course, I know I'll be filling-in with various cables, etc., but right now I"m look for some sort

of software that might (?) handle those tasks in the list above)

Many thanks,

Smitty

7 answers to this question

Define what you mean by 'subtitle'? If you just want some text somewhere on the screen, Videowave can do that.

If you are talking about 'subltitles' like a commercial DVD - text that can be arbitrarily turned on and off - then EMC products will not do that.

Also I wouldn't waste my time with any type of analog capture device. They are more trouble than it's worth. If your miniDV camcorder has analog inputs, just copy the VHS to miniDV and capture that tape. I haven't had ANY trouble with ANY software capturing DV tape.

Thanks very much to both gurus.

The subtitles I will do eventually will be identical to those seen in theatrical films. However,

they will not always appear in the lower third of the frame. Some will be "spotted" on particular actions or people.

My Sony TRV950 has:

"The DCR-TRV950 includes many input / output connectors. The camcorder includes separate 1/8 in. mic in and headphone out jacks. The camcorder includes a mini RCA jack which is converted into a video and a left and right channel signal using the supplied cable. The camcorder has an IEEE 1394 FireWire (or i.Link as Sony likes to call it) port for transferring video from your camcorder to your computer or back again. The TRV950 has an S-Video port which acts both as an input and an output. For transferring images and MPEG video the DCR-TRV950 has a mini USB port and lastly the DCR-TRV950 has a Lanc Control-L port for zoom controllers or editing controllers. "

And this is one reason why I came on this forum! It makes sense to use the TRV950 to capture the S-VHS UNLESS I will want to (in the future) use a method which gives better final resolution. Does this then direct me to another Roxio product other than emc 7.5 in the interim before I buy a new two-monitor system and go to Mac and Final Cut and all that agony? Pray for me.

So will "Easy Media Creator 8 Suite" do it for me? I honestly have no interest in music or still photos, just video capture, editing, and DVD authoring.

Thanks again

One thing you didn't post was how much you are willing to spend. Easy Media Creator is a enthusiast type program and not a professional one. If you have the $$$$$, look at one or more of the Sonic professional Programs. If that is what you are looking for, they have more information there although you might find someone here that would give you a recommendation on one of those. If you are just starting out, you might also consider "attending" the Sonic U.

Suffice to say that make sure your computer can handle any program you buy. Just about everyone who has a enthusiast program also have a professional one also.

I have a big library of S-VHS and Mini DV material, all on a specific project.

In the FAR term, I will be trying to author DVDs for distribution from that material.

In the NEAR term, I need to move my brain from a career of film editing to video authoring.

Before I jump in with both feet, I think I want to:

1. Capture S-VHS and Mini DV
  2. Edit this material
  3. Place subtitles in some sections of the edited videos
  4. Make DVDs and evaluate them for quality before I move up to beefier hard and software

Is there a product which will allow me to do these jobs?

(Of course, I know I'll be filling-in with various cables, etc., but right now I"m look for some sort

of software that might (?) handle those tasks in the list above)

Many thanks,

Smitty

Since you came to a Roxio site to ask, I will tell you to use one of the Roxio EMC products, preferably EMC 7.5, if you are capturing S-VHS tapes.

You will need a capture card to do it, though. Then, you can use EMC 7.5 to edit and burn the captures from those tapes. 8.0, even the Deluxe version, doesn't do a good job of encoding, hence, my recommendation to find EMC 7.5.

Place subtitles in some sections of the edited videos
Define what you mean by 'subtitle'? If you just want some text somewhere on the screen, Videowave can do that.

If you are talking about 'subltitles' like a commercial DVD - text that can be arbitrarily turned on and off - then EMC products will not do that.

Also I wouldn't waste my time with any type of analog capture device. They are more trouble than it's worth. If your miniDV camcorder has analog inputs, just copy the VHS to miniDV and capture that tape. I haven't had ANY trouble with ANY software capturing DV tape.

One thing you didn't post was how much you are willing to spend. Easy Media Creator is a enthusiast type program and not a professional one. If you have the $$$$$, look at one or more of the Sonic professional Programs. If that is what you are looking for, they have more information there although you might find someone here that would give you a recommendation on one of those. If you are just starting out, you might also consider "attending" the Sonic U.

Suffice to say that make sure your computer can handle any program you buy. Just about everyone who has a enthusiast program also have a professional one also.

Thanks again. This is a helpful group.

For better or wrose, I am doing this by dipping my toe first prior to stepping up in to a new system

and professional software.

I figure I can assimilate this stuff best if I get squared away in a consumer environment before I venture

in to the more robust products.

Archived