BackUp My PC

Kim R.

Question

Gee ... wish I could copy this from the General Forum. Had to take my Dell with XP Pro back to the state it was in when it came out of the box because of IE corruption. Backed up all my Data and Settings with BackUp My PC and everything looked fine. Now I have been unable to successfully get it to restore. Some of the settings restored, but NONE of the data files. Anyone know what the problem is?

6 answers to this question

Gee ... wish I could copy this from the General Forum. Had to take my Dell with XP Pro back to the state it was in when it came out of the box because of IE corruption. Backed up all my Data and Settings with BackUp My PC and everything looked fine. Now I have been unable to successfully get it to restore. Some of the settings restored, but NONE of the data files. Anyone know what the problem is?

Are you getting any errors in the log? What are your restore settings? Only restore if older, always restore? Are you check marking to restore everything, or only certain items?

There should be some info in the log to say what and why something is be restored or not.

Are you getting any errors in the log? What are your restore settings? Only restore if older, always restore? Are you check marking to restore everything, or only certain items?

There should be some info in the log to say what and why something is be restored or not.

Initially, I used the recommended setting, restore but not if existing - nothing restored, as the log said it was all existing. I figured that perhaps it was because you can't choose an item that is in a folder without choosing the folder also and of course My Documents was already there. So then I used "always restore" and some of the settings restored, but none of the data. There was not that much on my computer and I could have simply copied stuff onto CDs, but I decided to use BackUp so things would go faster. I was able to back the data and settings up to one DVD with no compression. This is maddening.

Initially, I used the recommended setting, restore but not if existing - nothing restored, as the log said it was all existing. I figured that perhaps it was because you can't choose an item that is in a folder without choosing the folder also and of course My Documents was already there. So then I used "always restore" and some of the settings restored, but none of the data. There was not that much on my computer and I could have simply copied stuff onto CDs, but I decided to use BackUp so things would go faster. I was able to back the data and settings up to one DVD with no compression. This is maddening.

Not sure why it wouldn't restore if it was all marked to restore. The only other thing I can think of is that it doesn't think it is restoring to the same place. Have you tried using the option to restore to an alternate place?

Not sure why it wouldn't restore if it was all marked to restore. The only other thing I can think of is that it doesn't think it is restoring to the same place. Have you tried using the option to restore to an alternate place?

Ummmm ... I didn't see an option to restore to an alternate place. :)

Ummmm ... I didn't see an option to restore to an alternate place. :)

Thanks Marlin .... created a folder in My Documents and voila ... everything restored. Thanks SO much! Sometimes it's hard to see the trees through the forest! The fresh perspective really helped!! Have a great one!

Kim :huh:

Archived